Advices about the drone to buy

chettour

Hello ,

I am new in your forum.

I had 2 years ago a parrot AR DRONE 2.0 on which I practiced coding and developing some algorithms to do some interesting things (searching and landing in the red area, following a red mark...).

I want to be back to business and buy a drone on which I can practice more and implement my ideas and projects.

I need a drone that’s not too big like the AR DRONE 2.0. The kind that flies indoors and the idea is to be able to test my algorithms in my room where no much space is available. The parrot airborne is big enough for example.

Also I need a drone where I can implement my codes. I was able to control the AR DRONE 2.0 using a phone or computer through WIFI. I really want to get into autonomous flying.

One bad thing about the drone parrot airborne is that it doesn't support video. U can't do great autonomous flying using environment recognition with only some frames or pictures.

I don't mind a drone with poor battery autonomy since my need is to test the algorithms in my room or class.

Any ideas, questions and especially advices are welcome guys,

Thank you,

Old Man

Almost sounds like a custom build using an Arduino based flight control system. Perhaps a little over the top would be a Pixhawk, or a bit simpler with a PixRacer. Obtain a frame about the size of a DJI 550.

chettour

thank you for your answer. I don't think that a microcontroller based drone would allow me to implement some advanced image or video processing. AR DRONE had linux on it.

Old Man

Might want to look a bit closer the the Pixhawk, or if released, Pixhawk 2. Expandable. Or look to DroneCode stuff.

Batfire

QUAD HACKER
Try out the new DJIMatrice 100 Quadcopter its whole concept of design is for the experimenter and code writer.

Cheers

Batfire