Advice for a guy that knows basically nothing about drones

chris.brock

I am looking for a drone for aerial photography and videos. I like to make windows movie maker videos and incorporating drone pics and videos would great. I don't care about stunts, racing or fun flying etc. I don't need super high resolution pictures or videos either.I know nothing about drones. My nephew has a Phantom 3 and I have seen what it can do and it looks easy to fly. I would be willing to spend that much if necessary. Is it necessary? Are there cheaper models that are still capable and reliable? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

betty

Then you may try some Wingsland S6 Ourdoor Edition or Xiaomi Mi Drone, which are cheaper than Dji.

You can pick up used P3's on craigslist or even buy one new for a reasonable price, They are very affordable, fly great and take good video. They are no longer supported by DJI but I would think parts are common and available. A step down from that price range wont get you very much when it comes to video quality with a gimbaled camera that's easy to fly. The phantom line is good for newcomers as well as experienced pilots.

betty

I suggest that you first make sure what is your budget. Then decide other things.

Last edited:

chris.brock

I would be willing to buy a Phantom 3 if necessary. It's $680 plus tax at Walmart here in Canada. I see used ones for sale from $450 to $600 depending on what extras are included. So that would be the maximum I would spend. If there's cheaper brands that other people endorse and recommend I would be interested to hear about them and how they compare. Thanks again for the help so far.

$680? Dang, I thought they were cheaper than that. Still a good choice. I am interested if others out there have other suggestions. There is one called Autel that gets decent ratings as well for about the same price.

ChrisRL

I'd go with a P3Pro if you can spring for it. I got one for about that kind of money here, used, and the guy who sold it to me ran me through pretty much everything I'd need to get and keep it running properly.
The P3 is good, but the Pro camera is better.