3DR Solo vs DJI Phantom 3 Professional review compare video

droneadmin

Administrator
Staff member
What do you think of Nick's comments and review here on the DJI Phantom 3 Professional and the 3DR Solo?

John Locke

This video is pretty accurate. I find it sad he was influenced by Colin Guinn's hyped marketing at 3DR to buy Solo over P3P. Phantom 3P was released in April 2015, months BEFORE the Solo, and then more months before the gimbal was available, and then it didn't have GoPro camera control software available for more months! I haven't flow the Solo, but I've been monitoring a 3DR forum and what I read isn't good. This is a disappointment because I liked the looks of the Solo in the beginning, but that also has faded in favor of pure reliability, functionality and versatility of my Phantom 3P. Now that DJI has improved their customer service, which was atrocious last year, DJI is on a roll with their technology over all others in this price range. Today, there's no comparison IMO, all because of Lightbridge, the communications technology that's proprietary to DJI. I'm amused at Erick's reluctance to talk about the vast difference of Lightbridge performance versus WiFi in his DroneVibes podcast. Even on the latest episode #68, he was obviously reluctant to give kudos to DJI for their P4 technology, you could hear it in his voice and he couldn't go without plugging the Chroma and Yuneec while talking about Phantom 4. It's either ignorance or payoff, I'm not sure which. Not once was Lightbridge mentioned stating it's superior distance capabilities, and distance is what it's all about! RELIABLE video feeds to the RC is essential, and all others using Wifi have about a 500 meter distance limit, versus 1 to 2 miles for DJI drones with Lightbridge. The distance sets you free! Peter seems to be the only one that gives credit to Phantom since he actually flies the P3, but he to didn't mention Lightbridge either in episode 68. Today, Lightbridge is THE advantage that DJI has over all other drone manufacturers, a HUGE advantage! Forget all the other features in P3 and the new P4, Lightbridge by itself is enough to prevent me from buying a drone from another manufacturer, until someone else makes something like Lightbridge. I'm sure that will come, and I expect Qualcomm to do it, but until then, Lightbridge is the bomb.

I have a similar disenchantment with my Yuneec Q500+, which was released a month before Phantom3. Although it's much better than Solo for reliability and video quality, it's a little quirky in it's handling. Holding still in a hover isn't as solid as my P3P, which I bought 5mos later. I never fly my Q500+ anymore, it's just too boring and too big. The Q is slow too, 17mph versus 33mph for P3P. The Q won't fit in a backpack, so that's limiting, not to mention a hassle lugging the big Q case around in my car. I had to spend a couple hundred dollars on an FPVLR antenna and Sunhans amplifiers+battery to get 3500' distance, about double the stock 1500' that wasn't adequate. But all that bulk added to the Q500 RC (ST10) is a hassle for transport, because it won't fit in the provided OEM Q case. The worse part is my Q500+ is impossible to sell for more than $400 after spending $1600 for everything new, 1yr ago. It's old technology. Anyone that knows the virtues of Lightbridge isn't interested in old school Wifi technology.

Last edited:

Talon Six

Good points John, and I agree that time is not good to drones, especially now. I have a Flying Cinema CineTank and a 3DR Y6B that are both technologically irrelevant for my intended purpose of aerial photography...and neither are more than 18 months old!

However I have to disagree with your statement distance is what it's all about. The Solo and the Q500 and the P3 are all intended to be aerial photography drones first and foremost. Range is nice, but for me this class of drone is more about the quality of the images I can capture. For example, I hit my distance record with the CineTank at 5520 feet last April - that doesn't change the fact that it's hauling a GoPro and I'm stuck with the associated limitations of that camera. I'll take the Inspire any day over the 'Tank even though it only has half the range - the level of camera control afforded to the operator makes the Inspire a superior drone by nearly every measure.

As for the Solo, the day after that comparison video on the P3 versus the Solo was posted, another article on the Solo came out which is also worth the read to get a diverse set of views on the drone. You can read it here. Additionally the Solo's recently announced integration with the MicaSense Sequoiah multispectral camera may even signal a broader opening of the platform to commercial applications, which will undoubtedly necessitate control link distance increases.

In the end, it's a great time to be involved in this technology! Two years ago we didn't even have these choices available.

John Locke

Good point, I don't disagree with this class of drone is a video/photo platform first, but I take that for granted. Phantom3, Inspire1-3X, GoPro amd Yuneec CGO3 all use similar sensors with similar results, the worst being GoPro IMO (fisheye, no controls), the best being InspireX3, then P3, then GCO3 IMO. But an Inspire without Lightbridge would be pointless today, same with Phantom3.

It would be like buying a car with a 3gal tank, resulting in limited distance. The primary purpose of a car is to transport bodies from point A to point B, but that's beside the point. Why would anyone buy a car with a 3gal tank when for a little extra you can get a 15gal tank and go 5X farther? 10gal tanks were the size in 1908 (model T), for a 200mi range. That's old school. It's about distance IMHO. WiFi is old school.

So from a camera point of view things are closer in capabilities in this class drone, but still important, of course. And.... HOORAY that micro 4/3 cameras are arriving. Similar to Lightbridge, in another year I'll be saying the same about Micro 4/3 sensors versus the X3 type. Who would want an X3 sensor when I can have a micro 4/3?

Comparing distance capabilities of a good video feed to the RC, we're talking 5X difference (Lightbridge vs. Wifi), and with a simple slip on Windsurfer parabolic directional dish ($25) added to the antenna, Lightbridge works more like 8X farther than Wifi. That to me is significant, and the most import advantage of DJI's product, pure distance, which translates into a more SOLID video signal anywhere with VLOS.

I hope to buy an Inspire2 this year, if they come out, with the X5, maybe an X5R. It must have Lightbridge 2 though. So yes, I guess I'm a DJI fanboy (even though I can't stand that term ;-), but only because of my amazement of the Phantom3P capabilities, reliability, but primarily because I rarely have trouble with video connection feeds, due to Lightbridge. I can't say that for my friends with Wifi on their craft (Yuneec, Blade Chroma).

I will often launch on a coastal point and shoot coastlines, flying down the coast a mile or two, then up the coast another mile or two, or flying across a bay and shoot a boat on the way, etc. There's no way other brands can do that at DJI's price point. Lightbridge literally sets me free, and I'm amazed on most every flight. Every challenging shoot I do always ends with delight from the video/photos I capture. I've climbed 1500' mountains and cruised to top a mile away, didn't have a problem. I've descended down into 500' deep canyons, flown a mile way LOS, and I was amazed of the predictability, and the video results. The P3P is crazy fun, and capable. I just ordered the P4, better lens, 120fps, 25+min flight time, 44mph, tracking, collision avoidance, Yeehaw!

I agree, it's a great time to be involved in this market, so many advances coming out.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
@John Locke I think you're correct about the Lightbridge being the best video downlink available on the consumer market as I also enjoy the incredible distance at which I can still get my HD downlink (and I went from 5.8Ghz to this). I like and fly DJI product, but there are also others that also deserve some room in our podcast (after all, we're not just the DJI podcast). One day, DJI may not even be at the top (remember Nokia?), but they definitely had a good head start. I would argue that it is the competitive pressures that help to move the technology forward at this speed. P1 and P2 were great machines in their time, but as the competition caught up, DJI was forced to move onto the Lightbridge to keep it's dominance on the market. See, we need the other drones too:) I'm anxious to see the Typhoon-H, that one should be a lot of fun.

John Locke

Don't get me wrong, I too want to know what else the competition is doing. I'm not suggesting changing the DroneVibes agenda. I'm only suggesting that all the other companies are making old technology drones, communications that are based on plain ole Wifi. It's like buying a car with a 3 gallon tank when the technology exists (with DJI anyway) to have a 15gal tank to go farther at greater distances, setting you free! I think the media should talking about this more, putting pressures on the others like Yuneec, Blade, and 3DR to step up and provide long distance video links. The distance capabilities of DJI's Lightbridge insures a solid connection at closer range. In areas with high interference Lightbridge outshines plain ole Wifi by over double in short range situations, insuring no video connect issues. The reconnect time is also quicker with Lightbridge when getting to the distance limit, not to mention the video latency times are more consistent with Lightbridge as you approach the distance limits.

This difference in technologies needs to be driven home, to promote DJI's competitors to do better. Today it's not even a horse race, IMO. As mentioned, I'm hoping Qualcomm will step up. They certainly have the expertise if they put their mind to it.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
@John Locke , all true. I would liken the DJI to Apple (which they're trying very hard to style themselves after). If they are the iPhone, the rest of the guys put together would represent Android - large group in numbers:)

John Locke

DJI definitely seems to be taking ques from Apple from a styling point of view, but little else IMO. Take DJIs return policy versus Apple. DJI's service history versus Apple. And DJI's GO app is WAY more capable from a software point of view versus the other drone manufacturers, whereas Apple's quality "closed" platform is inherently less capable than Android's open architecture.

I think this is evolving though, as the DJI service support in the US is definitely getting better, and their packaging is too. What I fear is DJI pulling back on Lightbridge capability for some unknown reason, since they have no competition at the moment for distances beyond a mile. The FCC filings prove DJI is reducing transmission power from drone to ground, as well as RC to drone. I realize some folks may not use long distance via FPV navigation, but in safe rural environments such as farmlands, mountains or coastlines, having the ability to go a few miles away is very powerful for SAR operations, farm surveying and many field inspection jobs, not to mention it can be extremely fun. Plus, the strong signal capability of the original Lightbridge helps with short-range connectivity in locations with high wifi traffic.

I'm rooting for Qualcomm to apply pressure in this area, providing a broadcast style one way digital video links down, separate one way control connection up (Lightbridge style), for drone manufacturers to use. Wi-Fi's TCP/IP two way handshaking protocol is for the birds, not drones.

Last edited:

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
I think that DJIs service has evolved tremendously, and actually have to compliment them. Three years ago, it took 12 weeks (!) to fix my Zenmuse gimbal, which I had to ship to China (luckily a warranty repair). About 18 months ago, I had to send another Zenmuse in (my GH4, bricked after firmware upgrade), and it took four weeks (California). Last year, we set one of the Inspires to Cali, down to three weeks (including 10 days of ground shipping). A month ago, I sent it my P3P (esc failure), and had it back in 12 days (including 9 days of ground shipping).
Their return procedures have also been streamlined.

John Locke

I'd sure like to know what's going on at 3DR with Solo. I'm hearing rumors people are being laid off and support is eroding. I'm seeing press releases focused more on industrial and commercial applications, which has been their bread and butter in the past. Are they throwing in the towel with the consumer market? I don't see many folks praising the craft, other than being able to go 50mph. I'm not sure how that plays into a photography platform, other than chasing cars and motorcycles I guess. The GoPro camera thing is what I don't like, fisheye issues. I'd rather not have to add that work to post editing, my editing takes too long as it is. The disappointing discovery I made at CES in January is GoPro has no plans to remove fisheye with optional lenses. Go figure! I guess we should expect GoPro to brag about the wonderful fisheye feature they incorporate into their new Karma. Hah! :p Sorry for the sarcasm.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
@John Locke , I have a few friends with Solo, but they all seem to be hardcore GoPro fans, using this camera for some other applications. I think that the Solo is a nice machine, but share your opinion of the camera (great POV cam, not that great for aerials, forget about still photography).
I guess we'll see if the Solo is followed by the next generation, hopefully with some camera that could compete with DJIs X3. Since they're working with Sony, we may get to see one. The Sony exmor 1/2,3" sensor is pretty much standard, and Sony already has action cam platform, so it's really about packaging existing tech into a nice consumer drone. Sadly for 3DR and most other consumer drone manufacturers, they seem to be a generation behind DJI. About Karma, we may be in for a surprise. I would not be terribly shocked if this drone was introduced with a 360 degree consumer camera, that may be a bit of a revolution (listen to the Karma teaser video and the "look around" narration, just saying).

GlassKnees

I've read with interest this thread. I have to say, I've been somewhat of a 3DR bigot - all three of my aircraft use APM 2.6 FC's. I've followed both DJI and 3DR, rooting for 3DR to be more competitive, but have been sadly disappointed. I belong to an R/C Club here in Sun City and at least two other multicopter pilots are Phantom owners and love them.

Thanks for the input and the insights..