3D Photogrammetry

Kilby

Hey Gang,

I haven't been on here in a little while, so I thought stop by and post about our newest efforts, 3D photogrammetry. We started working with a company called Direct Dimensions that specializes in 3D scanning, mostly with lasers & lidar. To start, we figured we would experiment with photogrammetry. To be honest, none of us expected to see results this good, but to our surprise, it worked almost as good as the laser!

We have done several projects with them now, but I'll share one of our first here. For the proof of concept, we picked a local landmark that we have shot thousands of times in the past (even put it on the cover of our book) to keep the subject matter something familiar. The video and model viewer below show the output from our POC. We have since done several decent sized projects with them that cover many acres.

Has anyone else been playing around with photogrammetry? I'd love to link up with anyone else doing this.

-Terry

You can navigate the actual 3D model on SketchFab. https://sketchfab.com/models/5f2bad639ff24ad0b551d807eecbd85e

Kilby

One of the other projects we have recently used photogrammetry for is this old train station. It's one of the last wooden train stations from the B&O railroad which still stands. They are in the process of moving it to a new location. We plan to 3D print it and put it on my buddies train table who lives near by.

View attachment 22678

Attachments

• B-O.png
    B-O.png
    617.7 KB · Views: 382