£2-3k airframe?

dg2010

Firstly, apologies, I'm sure there have been a thousand similar threads.....I have been looking around for some weeks now but not 100% sure on what I should get.

I am a RC hobbyist with 15 years flight experience, most recently I have a number of FPV aircraft including Quadcopters, tricopters and fixed wing. I am handy with electronics and I am a good pilot so I have no concerns with building and flying one.

Photography is my second hobby and so I am planning to combine that with my RC experience and complete my BNUC-S by the end of this year.

My main concern is buying the right camera platform, as this is a lot of money. I know I will eventually need a second platform, but in the beginning I want to buy something which will give me the most flexibility.

My key requirements are:

1. Portability. I do not want a system that requires an hour to break down to travel or which requires a huge container to travel with. So it needs to sit in the boot of a regular car ideally.

2. Camera flexibility. I have a number of cameras including a Sony Nex5, Canon 650D and a Panasonic X920 camcorder. I want to be able to use all of these possibly, I understand this is mostly down to gimble design so the main concern will be with weight carrying capacity.

I was recommended something like the Droidworx X4 Co-axial as it meets the portability requirement, but I'm concerned the 4 control points being less stable compared to 6 or 8.

The S800 seems like a good easy option but being that I have many years of RC experience, I don't mind building something myself if I can make it better.

Or something like a Cinestar 6/8 seems within my budget but how easy is it to break down?

Thanks for your time :)

swisser

Easy. Flexacopter. Or if you want eight rotors, Kratos. Fabulous quality, takes down for transport in a few minutes at most. Note, 4 rotors are not inherently "less stable" than 6 or 8.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Hi hi. I recently went through this dilemma. I'm even more hindered by not having a car. I went for the S800 because it easily breaks down into a small package and a Zenmuse GH2 gimbal. Put it all in a Peli 1650 case which is the same size as a suitcase. Has a handle and wheels plus a RucPak which turns it into a backpack.

The Zenmuse is awesome but won't carry any of your cameras. I believe the cinestar gimbals would carry all of them though. If you have a generous size car boot then you might not need to even consider breaking things down. Just pop the whole thing in the trunk!

Good luck!

VINHEX

hexacrafter Andrew does a hc800 with folding arms lovely bit of kit.. I'm running a hc650 and this has a nex5n on.. Multiple setup to fit gimbals and frames..

http://www.hexacrafter.com/index.php

Vin
Hexacrafter HC650, DJI WKM, DJI DataLink 2.4Ghz, 3s 3300, 3s 5000, Aeroxcraft Landing Gear, Xoar 12x6 props, Spektrum DX8, AR8000 Receiver
TM1000, Fatshark Attitude SD, Sony Exview Had II CCD 650 Line Sony Effio-E
Fatshark Spironet Antenna's, DJI iOSD

Last edited by a moderator:

dg2010

Wow some great suggestions which I have never heard of let alone seen, so even more choice to consider!

More research to do!

Fiveflat

Banned
A lot of people may flame me for this because it's an "off-brand" but take a look at the Tarot FY680. Fully foldable 680mm hexa with foldable landing gear (that look great too) It's the frame I'm currently considering seriously after almost clicking "buy" on a CarbonCore 650. I'm looking to lift a Canon EOS-M...

tarot%200.jpg

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/tarot-fy680-cf-folding-hexacopter-p-810.html