ROVguy
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• 30kt winds!!! Thats bloody good going! I cant see any work actually happening offshore in those kind of winds so if you could actually operate the F450 in that it makes some possibilities more likely. Your losing me a little with the abbreviations :) whats SR? Being able to fly in full manual is always handy, separates the men from the boys, just like it does with ROV's lol. Why would the Z15 make a system more tolerant? Its just a camera mount, a good one maybe but silly expensive!
    may seem a little paltry, but the blade 120SR is an awesome wee thing to fly around the house and garden, it has 45 deg flybar so its very stable. hardest thing is the orientations, its just a case of programming the brain, its not easy and takes time and persistance

Personally, and its not for everybody, but I decided I was going to become competant at flying heli's in full manual mode & fixed wing on the way, I thought this skill would equip me for anything plus it has always been my intention to build a SR working system due to the high winds we generally get. Having said that stuff like the Z15 are making MR more wind tolerant for AV/AP and they can fly in wind, had my F450 Naza out last night testing the GPS in 30kt winds...it hunted for a few seconds then locked in, pitched into wind. i was impressed
    Hey Steve, sorry about the delay in replying, the internet onboard here is intermittent at best. ROV client reps do tend to be looked on with suspicion lol like you say, generally because there is no fooling us lol. Id thought of owning a UAS for a little while, but having had a conversation recently an idea sprung to mind for an application for them offshore, so its been taken off the back burner again lol.

Ive never had any experience with Helis, other than flying in them that is! lol So, Ive a long way to go. Need to get the equipment and get the flying hours under my belt and then do the BNUCs. Its not going to happen quickly or be cheap. I will put a few feelers out and see how my idea is received by the powers that be and take it from there. Either way, I think it will be a nice hobby for me to get in to. I was playing with the idea of getting a Heli as well. Any suggestions?

Rich
    Sorry Rich, that must be the dislexia coming out!!
    I'm an "OCEANEER" yip, bleed yella & white, yeah right! well figure there there all much of a muchness so stuck with the devil I know for past 11 yrs. worked on Magnum, millenium, mohawk, SCV, Dragon, Videoray..!!
    Wind farms huh, guess that why you want a UAS?? I've had thoughts on that one.
    Client rep? you ROV guys are the worst reps for us...no fooling you's!!:nevreness:
    Good to hear things are going well, when you say company do mean self employed freelancer or do have vehicles.
    I got into this UAV thing a couple of years ago before the MR thing really took off, was seriously looking at the Carvec Kestrel, its a real industrial machine and probably still what I will go for...well maybe not a Carvec one but a Maxi Joker3 anyway. Got kinda bogged down in multi's but learnt a hell of a lot and continue to train with SR' heli's every day I can.
    Anyway Laters Rich, happy flying with whatever you decide to cut your teeth with.

Steve
    Who's Chris? lol Up until recently I worked mainly with work class, Tritan, Spartan, MRV, Sealion. The last year Ive been working on SMD quasars and quantum's. Ive also worked with Seaeye Eyeballs in the past e.g. Falcon, Lynx, Tiger. For the last couple of months Ive been Client Repping on wind farms.

I used to be staff with Sonsub and then Fugro Rovtech. After a year working agency Ive setup my own company and things are going well.

Rich.
    Hi Chris,

What sort of ROV's do you work with?
    I work out West of Shetland just now for one of the majors, good line of work to be in at the moment.

Steve
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…