Photohigher RSGS Skyline Owners thread

reddinos

But then, what about the "MUST BE POWERED SEPARATELY!" if we use the RX that is already on board, it will share power with the FC then.... no?

reddinos Can I ask which firmware you are using? I have my Skyline all set up 1.1.3 it works great until I put the equivalent weight of a NEX5n, balanced on the tray then the tilt starts shaking around. I am assuming that this is the firmware issue that Photohigher are referring too. On another note I have attached a wiring setup suggestion that works well. Hope it helps. I used 3 x 100mm extensions and three tie wrap sticky pads and removed the pots to tidy up. It has its own power through a 6v BEC.

Regards

Andrew

View attachment 4960
More Tuning! already happy with it!

www.vimeo.com/44849374

bench fun...

Please note that the laser is very close to the camera and this causes the video not to be 100% straight. anything at a distance of 20ft or more will be rock solid.
reddinos.

Attachments

• SKYLINE_AV130_CABLE_LAYOUT.jpg
    SKYLINE_AV130_CABLE_LAYOUT.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I just got mine setup last night. I can now see the issues many have had with stripping servos and the confusion of set up. But the new instructions prevented me from making these errors. it still needs some refinement in the manual but at the end of the day I didnt make any mistakes and it all worked out. the gimbal works great so far on the bench. But I will only smile when i see the raw footage. So far good though and the 2nd tx very smoothly controls pan and tilt. I have pan connected direct to the rx, just so I dont confuse anyone. I am also running the whole system on the CC Bec's default 5volts and i cant see needing more voltage to make it quicker.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have not thoroughly played with the settings but by default, no, you cant override roll. but why would you want to? At that point there is no point in using gyros. I think it's prefect the way it is. Pan is all manual, roll is stabilized, tilt is stabilized but can be controlled by tx. and by turning all my expos to around 40% and my extents to 20 % I have a very good balance of smooth control vs. speed.

Question:
Does anyone know if the gimbal travel limits work yet? You can adjust the values but they dont do anything. Would be nice to limit the roll so it doesnt harm it self.

jelte

Yes you can! And of course, the whole stabilzer would not be worth a penny I you couldn't! Don't you want a perfect horizontal horizon? The slew mode is let you adjust the level, and it will keep level. Having setet my Skyline with Graupner receiver didn't work on roll (tilt did). Changed to Spektrum and all is fine now.
Travel limits in the Skyline software (still) doe not work.

reddinos

www.vimeo.com/44964440

Horizon is not leveled, still dont know how! i set it up on the software but then once i unplug it from the machine its off level again ( yes i saved the settings and all) so for now i fly sideways!... will work on that later...
Also there is something weird going on, the vibration seen is happening on the actual camera tray. maybe i gotta tweak the gains or something? everything else is perfect! and i am 100% certain that the vibration is not from the kopter since bench tests produce it too.
any ideas?
red.

jelte

Reddinos, try this:

- adjust centre levels, than confirm with 'set level'
- next "power off" in software (so keep power source connected). The tray will jerk a bit and stop.
- than: save your settings.
- "power on" again, ( Servo's will engage again, putting the tray to the level that you than been adjusting) 'disconnect' (in software).
This last step will prevent you from having to re-initialse the Skyline.

The vibration might come from the tilt gain: probably too high. Compared to the roll gain, you need just a bit of tilt gain.
Als reducing the tilt speed gain might help. Bij just finding the right combination I have eliminated the jittering.

Warmupper

Hi,
I'm trying to install the skyline. The potentiometer must be turned off completely?
This means that the servos are working without potentiometer? Can anyone confirm this?
Thx

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
remove them completely. yes. gyro acts as potentiometer. did you read the manual?

Here are a few misleading things I can point out.

1. manual 1.2 is the first version (1.0) while manual 1.1 is the newest one (1.1) this only matters if you are looking in your previous downloads and you had this file.

2. this is just a suggestion, but when you disengage the belts and you are trying to level the gimbal, dont try and support the gimbal like I did, instead just use a battery as weight on the tray and level it that way. I felt pretty stupid after trying to prop up the tray for 20 minutes when this occurred to me. :)

3. When you get to "Tuning the Skyline" you need to plug in the serial to usb AND the power to the skyline BEFORE connecting to the skyline's com port. It is ok that the program is running but if you try and connect and then add power, then hit "power on/servo on" the servos will continuously spin and never stop. This was at least my experience. The manual does state this but it is easy to over look.

4. when fine adjusting the centering values to get the gimbal to not drift, go a few clicks past where it stops and see the number of clicks it takes to make the servo start to barely creep the other direction. Then adjust back half way. In other words if you need to be at 800 for roll to stop but it doesnt start creeping again until 804, then adjust center to 802.

The rest of the manual pretty clear.

I dont think servo travel limits are working right now nor do I see any difference when i adjust travel gains. I am running a Castle Creations 10amp BEC at the default 5v output and I cant imagine the gimbal needing to run any faster than this. it is already superior to my DJI controlled av130. As some controls are disabled, I think the defaults are not bad to get you flying. I have my pan servo plugged directly into the Rx and the roll/tilt are compensated. Tilt override is at a useable speed and can be pretty well tuned just using expo/servo travel on the Tx.

Yuri

jelte

Yes you can! And of course, the whole stabilzer would not be worth a penny I you couldn't! Don't you want a perfect horizontal horizon? The slew mode is let you adjust the level, and it will keep level. Having setet my Skyline with Graupner receiver didn't work on roll (tilt did). Changed to Spektrum and all is fine now.
Travel limits in the Skyline software (still) doe not work.

Erratum:

The limits do work, however only on tx/rx input. It doesn't limit the stabilizing itself. Must be a bug....

cropter

Yes, it ist a definetely bug. Does anyone have an idea why they say "Firmware 1.14 download" on the website, and when you click it, you get 1.13 ?

Tomvb

Hello skyline owners,

my name is Tom Im from holland and use the skyline on a av200.
when i recieved the unit i attached it on the gimbal de way 1001copters dicriped in the video.
it worked, did a few test flights and then wanted too tune the skyline on the computer.
because of all the problems everyone was having, i waited untill the new manual arived on the photohigher site.
folllowed the instructions installed the software and drivers and trided to upload the 1.1.3.firmware first the blue led was flashing then the led showed solid orange
with no response from the skyline. the firmware updated failed. now my skyline gyro doesn't respond anymore and gives a solid orange led!?
al my wires are connected the right way, and i power the skyline with a bec providing 5v just too be save.
did someone had the same issue? some help would be verry welcome.

thanks!

I try to upload 1.1.3 to the skyline but I uploaded 1.1.4 before and I don´t know really what firmware is in my skyline ??? , where can I check that ? . Anyway as soon as I increase the gain just a little after the center procedure it´s start´s spinning clockwise , counterclockwise like crazy regardless if it´s connected to the pc or not or the power supply order ...

Today received the skyline, it all works fine except the pan doesn't react on stick movements. Also can't select the checkboxes in de pan section, they are greyed out. Transmitter is a mx-16 graupner.

Anyone has the solution?

DJIFlyer

Today received the skyline, it all works fine except the pan doesn't react on stick movements. Also can't select the checkboxes in de pan section, they are greyed out. Transmitter is a mx-16 graupner.

Anyone has the solution?

I am pretty sure that they state in the instructions that the PAN feature will not function with this present firmware but is expected to work in the future (or the next firmware).