Photohigher skyline rsgs

jelte

I had the same problem with very same symptoms as jffry.
However the problems persist in FW 2.4. If connected to unpowered Skyline I get "failed to connect" and in the lower right corner "Com port connected / Skyline disconnected".
If connected to powered Skyline "Upgrade to 1.2.1. to use this software.
Version 1.6 just connects ok.

I found another issue: I have a harness from a different lot. In my case, the pulse wire of the tilt pot was white not red (which is ok).
But my roll servo's + and - are not connected to A1 and B1 (left side, up and down).
These connectors are empty.
Instead roll servo + connects to A3 en B3. Both connectors combine tilt,roll and pan servo + and -.
I payed no attention to this, however, Soaringclauz' remarks about the pan connectors gives me the idea that this might also be the case with the roll input: pan+ is also part of the communication-roputing.

In version 1.6 I can connect to Skyline and put servo's on / off. However, tilt servo does not respond, roll servo keeps on moving and does not react to any changes in centre setting. Perhaps harnass modification is causing this?

erratum: I mean roll+ is also part of communication- routing

Last edited by a moderator:

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
jelte, the new software will still say could not connect after selecting COM (port #) but if you press select "Update Firmware" It should now ask you to power up your skyline and it will continue to update it.

Note: We have the same harness, tilt will be white to white unlike on PDF red to white but they also specified it there (sometimes its white).

Hello Jelte,
it is not really a "issue", i have the same setup, the positives and negatives are respectively pins 3,4 and 8, 13, 14.
In another skyline batch they have added some more gnd and positives, 1 and 11 and maybe others.
I know they are going to give full connections schematics very soon, i am enclosing what i did for 1.13, in red the corrections for 1.2.2.
It's just my findings and not the official document, nor i take responsability for it as my board can differ from others.View attachment 6227

I am doing a mess with this file but i believe the connessioni_dot_jpg should be readable though, just click on it three times... :tennis:

Attachments

• Cattura2.jpg
    Cattura2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 367
  • CONNESSIONI.jpg
    CONNESSIONI.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 269
  • CONNESSIONI.jpg
    CONNESSIONI.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 325
Last edited by a moderator:

jelte

jffry, that doesn't work... Under the Firmware Update - tab I only have a box "Restore to defaults" which is greyed (not clickable) and no box Firmware update that I can click.
However, I get some sort of connection when I :
1) power-up the Skyline - green led
Then the roll servo starts turning
2) Connect - led turns blue / servo stops / message "upgrade to 1.2.1 in order to ...", com port connected / Skyline disconnected.

In this mode, I am not able to put servo's on / or off, no upgrade firmware label under the firmware-tab.
When i disconnect, the led stays blue..

So, I can establish some sort of connection, but communication seems to be corrupted in some way...

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
just to recap, but you might already have done this

1. remove all power connections to Skyline
2. Launch software 2.4
3. Click connect COM # (which ever you always use) (Update FW still greyed out at this point)
4. After pressing connect it will show unable to connect but the Update FW will now be available. Click Update FW
5. Software will ask you to power up Skyline to continue FW update

If this is what you did and still doesnt work try to post some photo and maybe PH will reply tomorrow when you wake up cause its evening there now. I bet the other guys here might have some idea on this issue

Anyone had success in disabling the pan (or the three axis) stabilization through the extra connector? Any hint?
I can't get it to work however i set the travel limits and this is a problem as both my gimbals are 360 and have landing gear attached to the gimbal
TIA
Claudio

jelte

just to recap, but you might already have done this

1. remove all power connections to Skyline
2. Launch software 2.4
3. Click connect COM # (which ever you always use) (Update FW still greyed out at this point)
4. After pressing connect it will show unable to connect but the Update FW will now be available. Click Update FW
5. Software will ask you to power up Skyline to continue FW update

If this is what you did and still doesnt work try to post some photo and maybe PH will reply tomorrow when you wake up cause its evening there now. I bet the other guys here might have some idea on this issue

Correct. But Update FW doesnot become available.

And again, Skyline reacts in a weird way when powered up (turning connection on idles the servo's, led turns blue, servo on/of no more available, get warning to upgrade firmware, disconnect doesn't work, led stays blue...).
So there is definitively a sort of (corrupt) connection beeing established.
Checked the harnass against Andy's and Claudio's scheme and it fits. Apart for some + and - connections that are bundled together. But pan connectors are all in same ports: 2 white pan servo, 3 red pan servo, 5 white pan input, 6 red pan input
and 13 black pan servo....

vinnygogo

@ claudio,

i do not have a 360 mount, but i do made it possible to switch of the complete mount using a switch. connect the extra cable you got from the roll pot as said in the manual. then made a switch (i only have a 2 way because i only disable the intire mount) with endpoints left on 0 and right on 100. that worked for me to disable completely

I assume it is but will the dumby pots be needed for the CineStar gimbal with cinestar (freefly) servos (which, I believe are modded Savox anyways)

I searched a bit but didn't find a clear answer to the question.

Thanks Vinnygogo,
so it is possible....
Ok good news then, i'll keep on trying new endpoints until i get them :tennis:

Nicnaimless: IMO yes, sure: unplug the original pots and change them with the dummy ones

still jittering

Hi Andy,

If your camera tray isn't already in the lowest position you can try lowering it tray by changing the screw holes it is mounted on. You might be able to get it more level in the vertical direction.

The camera tray is already in the lowest position. With the Sony CX 730 I have to be there otherwise I couldn't look 90 degrees down.

A little video of where I am now (the flying video is stabilized by CX 730), still jittering…: http://youtu.be/Pi93EIrZwvQ

Any ideas what I could do to get rid of the jittering?
Does anyone have the same problems?

Tomorrow I have a little job and I really don't want to go back to the MK stabilization for the tilt…

Thank you very much!

Andy

Wow! :) I'm eager to install the Skyline back to my AV200 tomorrow. But before that i'm going to get the required resistors to make the dummy pots and make the modifications to the wiring. Any headsup guys? I use a Av200 with pan with a heli (front mount). Any tips or headsup is much appreciated.
Thanks PH! Hopefully everything will work great with me.....

Regards,
Adarsh

hdj912

Hi Adarsh, i have same as you a 360 front mount heli setup. Its bolted on a trex 700e. Did the setup today with the new firmware and it looks okay, no jittering anymore for as far i can see by now. The stabilisation seems a bit slow even when i turn the gain all the way up,but i just have to see how it behaves in flight. Good luck with the setup!!

Anyone had success in disabling the pan (or the three axis) stabilization through the extra connector? Any hint?
I can't get it to work however i set the travel limits and this is a problem as both my gimbals are 360 and have landing gear attached to the gimbal
TIA
Claudio
@claudio I cannot disable pan or any other axis either. neither can I control the pan from the rx. If you find out how to do it let me know. I am inputting the aux signal as per your diagram. Everything else is fine...

Michael64

Photohigher still has problems with the Skyline or at least mine does the jitter in the pitch servo is unchanged even with new firmware and all modifications. I have been quiet till now but this is going nowhere at all you have $340.00 invested and you have something that dont work and is unuseable for video. There may be some that work but I have one that that does not and Photohigher has not response to email for a while now. They have alot of things to get straight with the Skyline for sure. Sorry to rant but I am at my whits end with this one. One other problem mine has is it well not remember settings after you save them, if you get it working and save setting then diconnect and reconnect you are back at square one and you start all over again only for it not to save the setting anyway. I one email I asked if they replace the skyline and I got no response on that, they said the problems in my gimbal with slop or loose belt. The AV130 is new and the belts are tight with no slope but I guess they dont believe me.

Michael64

thijmen5

I have an idea my potmeter of the AV130 is broke, because it keeps overshooting a point of the servo. (using an hoverflygimbal)

Now I need to buy a new potentiometer, but I'm wondering if it it ok when the newer potmeter has 300 degrees range instead of 180?

I'm sorry I ask it here, but I need to know it quickly for ordering a new one.

PondMedic

PhotoHigher - thank you for releasing a solid 1.2.2 FW. In about 30 minutes, I was able to make the wiring harness modifications, update the RSGS with the new FW, calibrate the gimbal and RSGS and go flying with great results. FW 1.6.1 was horrible. 1.2.0 was much better and gave me hope in you. 1.2.2 is FANTASTIC! I'm looking forward to flying more with it in the upcoming days.

I went flying today in 12-15 mph winds. I flew all types of flight attitudes. Watched the footage from my flight and was ecstatic! Nice job - don't stop the improvements -- keep 'em coming and I'll keep being a PH fan!

Michael64

PondMedic
I glad someone has got a working one if I understand you right this is Zero jitter in the pitch of the gimbal and horizon is staying level. Also is this with a Photohigher mount or other mount. With the result I have with new firmware there is no real improvement unless I just have a defective Skyline. Post a video of the flight if you will.

Michael64