Naza loops and rolls.

ChrisG

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post this for those interested.

Last Sat I decided it was time to try some aeros with my FPV Flamewheel/Naza.... I had read it was possible but still had my heart in my mouth that first time I pulled up. I've done a lot of 3D heli flying but still had my doubts :dejection:

Hopefully DJI will increase the roll rate a bit as 200deg per second isn't quite fast enough if you're low.
With fpv gear, gopro and 3s 3000 + 3s 400 lipos I'm at about 1320g

Enjoy... I did :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8yc5La7aLM&feature=youtu.be

ChrisG

Thanks Tom,

I'm having way too much fun, I've done over 100 fpv flights in the last month I'd say :)
Fpv is so addictive.

RCNut

Very nice Chris.

Struggling to get nice enough weather here in Sydney to do much flying of any kind but watching your video inspires me to keep going. Do you use Dual rates/expo for manual fying? if so what are youre settings?

ChrisG

Hey, good to see more DJI's in Oz.
I live bayside in Brisbane so its always windy.. gotta get up early to get the good weather for practicing.

In atti mode im 100% rates and 20% expo Ail/Ele for really smooth flying. No expo on rudder
Manual mode im also 100% to keep roll rate up but im currently using 50% expo to make it manageable around center stick, 20% expo on rudder ... playing with this and gains all the time looking for improvement.

I fly a mix of both in my flights, Atti mode is handy to get you out of trouble but it does not react to vertical changes anywhere near as fast as manual during proximity flying.

RCNut

Thanks Chris

Getting up early isnt a problem but finding enough space to practice FPV is. I have a home built tricopter as well as the F450 and Im fine flying them both from the ground, but need some practice to get more confidence in FPV mode.

Thanks for the rates settings. I fly ducted fans and warbirds in my fixed wing world so Im used to speed but never really liked expo. On the F450 I'm using 100% throws with no expo in ATTI mode. In manual mode Im using 60% throws with no expo on pitch and roll and 100% on yaw. On the F450 I tend to get lazy and use ATTI mode mainly. I have an HK450 pro but dont do any 3D flying. Im more of a scale flyer.

rwilabee

Were you in Manual mode or ATT mode.

Rich

Hi all,

Last Sat I decided it was time to try some aeros with my FPV Flamewheel/Naza.... I had read it was possible but still had my heart in my mouth that first time I pulled up. I've done a lot of 3D heli flying but still had my doubts :dejection:

Hopefully DJI will increase the roll rate a bit as 200deg per second isn't quite fast enough if you're low.

ChrisG

The above flight was mainly in Man mode.. It will not bank over 45Deg or so in Atti.
I hit atti a few times (like just before I bumped the ground and flew around under the table) but then realized that it was too soft to fly like that and flicked back to man.
The more I fly it the more comfortable Im getting in man mode.

It was a LOT windier/gustier in that video than it looked trust me... I personally find atti mode not very good for flying around in the wind unless you drop the gains to 70-75.
If you just want to hover you can get away with high gains.

Chris.

gottafly

rather than start a new thread, I thought I would tack my question onto this one since it relates to the Flamewheel 450/Naza combo.

I'm enjoying my 450, but getting ready to make an order for some Graupner props for it (otherwise stock). I don't care for the flex of the DJI props. One let go on me today in flight. ANyway, the Graupners' ought to have much more bite for pushing the 450 and getting aerobatic with it. I'll be running primarily Turnigy Nano 4S (2200's) to keep it light. Looking for suggestions on WHICH Graupner's to go w/. 8"x5, 9"x5 or 10"x5 ?

Any suggestions/feedback welcome...thnx

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
rather than start a new thread, I thought I would tack my question onto this one since it relates to the Flamewheel 450/Naza combo.

I'm enjoying my 450, but getting ready to make an order for some Graupner props for it (otherwise stock). I don't care for the flex of the DJI props. One let go on me today in flight. ANyway, the Graupners' ought to have much more bite for pushing the 450 and getting aerobatic with it. I'll be running primarily Turnigy Nano 4S (2200's) to keep it light. Looking for suggestions on WHICH Graupner's to go w/. 8"x5, 9"x5 or 10"x5 ?

Any suggestions/feedback welcome...thnx

I've used the Graupner 8 x 5, 9 x 5, and 10 x 5 on mine and find the 9 inch to be the best all around at least on 3S packs. The 10 inch were a bit too wobbly, the 8's didn't have much pop to them although they may be much better on 4S. Still I'd say go with the 9 x 5 but you will have to drill out the center hole to fit, the 9 inch and smaller have a stepped center hole that starts at 5mm and goes up to 8mm. Pretty easy to just run and 8mm drill bit down from that end to open it up, the 10 inch are a drop on fit but likely too much prop for 4S on the F450.

Ken

rcmike

I tried one loop before I put on my FPV gear and it lost a lot of altitude and I ended up plopping on the ground. Luckily I made it right side up before it hit. A lot more sluggish than my Multiwii board. It will flip very fast and not lose any altitude. I am planning on using my Naza/F450 for FPV and possibly the Multiwii for aerobatics.

ChrisG

I've been running the Graupner 10x5s on 3s in my FPV rig.. it weighs 1320g and they are suited perfectly for this weight.

I have ordered some graupner 9x5s to try but dont hold much hope for them on 3s at my FPV weight, I'd say on 4s they will be great.
The graupners have a LOT less blade area than the Std slowfly props out there so If you normally use 8x5 in SF props id go for a 9x5 graupner for similar performance.

The graupners are Very durable, I have had a few "incidents" incl a hit big enough for a broken arm on my F450.. still no broken graupner props :black_eyed:

Im in the process of setting up a bare (no FPV) F450 airframe for the purpose of learning how to use my CC board and hopefully set up up for fast flips etc, I intend to use the 2212-920Kv DJI motors on 4s with the 9x5s.
Being under 1kg RTF it should be very agile.

Chris.

kloner

Aerial DP
i run a logger on mine, only watches the battery to the distro ring so it's not each motor, but the apc 10x4.7 on 3s did 28 amp, on 4s did 39 amps. when i switched over to the graupner 10x5 it dropped to 30 amps on 4s, and it barely flies on 3s even without the gopro. i'm 1300gram

the fat big eared props tend to draw more, can hear it compared to the speed prop

ChrisG

Thanks for the info Kloner,

Im keen to try 4s as more power is always more fun :), After you findings on your 4s setup I might stick with the 10x5s.
Strange that you are a little down on power running 3s and the 10x5 graupners.
I run fairly new 3000 3s packs so they're voltage under load is probably still fairly good?

I've found that in manual mode the naza gives you get a lot more power to use... Ive seen the amps up around 45+ on my eagle OSD. I have not downloaded it yet, So lazy huh.

Both the below vids are 3s with 10x5s and the newer 2215-920 motors (with new bearings), Atti mode only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwoZgsaIGA&context=C3076b6fADOEgsToPDskKTzEeVyUOxVjxAbKBukxyB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUipCSzBvJA&context=C3076b6fADOEgsToPDskKTzEeVyUOxVjxAbKBukxyB

kloner

Aerial DP
i tried 3s 4400 and with the go pro on it feels sluggish. i've done the same pack without gopro doing bulb shots and it's not bad, but not a racer either. 4s makes mine fun

Last edited by a moderator:

mailman35

yeah i have to agree with that i flew some 3s packs yesterday after getting the quad back together, and it just doesnt feel the same flying on 3s as it does with 4s :p
but this just means now i have to build another quad for my 3s packs :p

aWanderer

Hi all,

Nice work on the loops and rolls... looks JUST like juz's work :)

RCNut

Nice flying Chris. I managed to get one FPV flight in today but still in ptactice mode so staying away from water and people at the moment.

I originally flew the standard F450 with the original 8x4.5 props on 3S 2200s and quite liked it. After I added the GopPro and FPV I changed to the supplied 10x4.5 props and hated it. It carried the weight OK but the props were way too flexible. Im now back to the original 8x4.5 props and a 4S 2200 which flies quite well with the extra weight but the props are still too flexible. Id love to get Graupner 10x5s but who has them. There seems to be a worlwide shortage since the F450 appeared on the scene.