New to the FPV aspect and want to learn

Dead Reckoning

Hi All-

I am new to the FPV aspect of drones. I am fairly knowledgeable, or so I think, on how the video set up works. What I would like help on is setting up a decent FPV entry level race drone. I am starting from scratch here, so any and all help is appreciated. I haven't yet settled on a quad yet, but am looking at Husban, Walkera, or something similar. What I am really looking to learn about is the FPV set up. I understand the flow (camera to transmitter to receiver to either LCD screen or goggles), but I am fuzzy on the details. I know the norm is 2.4 or 5 GHz, but are all brands interchangeable? If the Tx and the Rx are both 2.4/5 GHZ will they sync up? I know when dealing with other types of cams the frequency must be exact. Can I buy a Tx from brand A and an Rx from brand B and get them to work? After that i would think the video (LCD screen or goggle) are pretty straight forward; refresh rate, 420/720/1080i etc. If anyone would not mind taking a few minutes to point me in a direction I would be most appreciative, or if you can suggest a decent set up cams, Tx/Rx boards, goggles. I don't need pro quality stuff, but I have no issues spending a few bucks to get a good stable video with no loss or dropouts. I am also willing to accept pointers on good quads for intermediate flyers and have no issues building or repairing. I have spent may hours inhaling solder fumes working on Arduinos and similar small electronics. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Chris