making a quadcopter from scratch

photojunky

I bought some 25MM tubing and a couple of sheets of carbon fiber in an effort to make a quadcopter from scratch with some left over parts from my first build. It kind of looks like if Dr. Frankenstein made a quadcopter but should be fun. Since taking these cell phone photos I have added an additional nut to each screw to securely lock them in place.
hm.jpg
hm2.jpg
hm3.jpg
hm4.jpg

Attachments

• hm.jpg
    hm.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 2,029
  • hm2.jpg
    hm2.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 1,888
  • hm3.jpg
    hm3.jpg
    549.6 KB · Views: 1,879
  • hm4.jpg
    hm4.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 1,950

Old Man

Looks nice but with all the screws and nuts sticking up where are you going to mount electronics?

photojunky

I have two Tarot carbon fiber battery plates, one will go on top. I think I can get away with most of the electronics on the top carbon fiber sheet shown in the photo and on the battery tray that will be on top of it. There will be another carbon fiber sheet underneath. I have not decided if it will be the other battery tray or just a carbon fiber sheet like the one shown in the photo. I'll figure it out eventually.

Would you part with the scraps? I have been trying to find a good material for some additional component mounts for my 450 build

No problem. Where did you pick it up and in what thickness? And what size is it going to be? Good luck with the build!

violetwolf

Famous Hobby sells raw sheets and tubing etc. High quality, good prices. They'll do custom CNC cutting too for those that need that service.

Kilby

You are 1 slice of bread of a full sandwich with this one! You HAVE to have a bottom/second plate in that configuration, and to be honest, 1mm is probably not going to cut it either. Without having the bottom plate on there, your boom clamps aren't really clamps, they are hooks with no real bottom support, plus your overall frame stiffness is going to be limited to only what a single piece of 1mm CF can hold after being weighted down from all 4 corners (not much). What size motors/props/battery are you planning on using? Considering that it's a 25mm boom, I would assume that it's something rather large like 15-18' props with 6S power?

photojunky

You are 1 slice of bread of a full sandwich with this one! You HAVE to have a bottom/second plate in that configuration, and to be honest, 1mm is probably not going to cut it either. Without having the bottom plate on there, your boom clamps aren't really clamps, they are hooks with no real bottom support, plus your overall frame stiffness is going to be limited to only what a single piece of 1mm CF can hold after being weighted down from all 4 corners (not much). What size motors/props/battery are you planning on using? Considering that it's a 25mm boom, I would assume that it's something rather large like 15-18' props with 6S power?
definitely, I am going to use those additional pieces of carbon fiber in the picture. I may also use a thin piece of aluminum as support kind of similar to what a Tarot t810 frame has. I have a 6S battery and will be using multi-star 4114's with17 inch props. And if it does not work or is not safe, I plan on building a second tarot .

Kilby

If you are doing this all out of 1mm CF, I can pretty much tell you right now it's not going to work. With that much thrust, you are going to need to have thicker main plates (at least 2mm, better to go with 3 or 2.5) as well as several aluminum stand offs sandwiched in between to provide extra stiffness and support. We design and sell several custom frames and we don't even use 1mm on our tiny FPV quads, must less a heavy lifter. If you don't mind risking your components though, it might be a good experiment to try your original plan and see how long it will last, especially if you already have the 1mm parts cut out. Also, I would be careful of an aircraft that size being controlled by a Naza. I know that many people have done it without issue, but it is outside of DJI's suggested frame size and if you have an issue, the first thing they will say is that you shouldn't have had it on something so large and they won't honor any type of warranty. Just some food for thought.

How are you designing your plates? What CAD software are you using and how are you cutting it out? Can you export to DXF? We have a few CNC's if you ever need anything cut.

photojunky

No, they are not that big. They are 500 millimeters, should be just big enough for 17 inch props. I will be reinforcing it over the weekend. I have not decided if I will use small aluminum rods as well as additional carbon fiber sheets, but in the end I will make it work. Or, I will have a good Crash and Burn video. I will then pick up the pieces, or at least the surviving ones, and build another Tarot t810.
So I take it that your scratch build copter is around the 700 to 800mm range?

photojunky

I am just a newbie at this, although I have been obsessed with it for the last 4 or 5 months. I had to look up a couple of your acronyms :) I am not using any program, I am just making a simple Square design, and using the frame from my Racer and the terot as a guide. Regarding the rigidity, you are absolutely right. There is too much flex but I will be reinforcing it soon. I may have to order another piece of carbon fiber. I was also planning on building it so I could remove a couple of screws and fold for transport or to put in the closet, but I may not do that. At this point I realize it is probably something I will build, fly and then put away after removing the parts and transferring them onto a real frame. In the end it will be a learning experience and some fun.
If you are doing this all out of 1mm CF, I can pretty much tell you right now it's not going to work. With that much thrust, you are going to need to have thicker main plates (at least 2mm, better to go with 3 or 2.5) as well as several aluminum stand offs sandwiched in between to provide extra stiffness and support. We design and sell several custom frames and we don't even use 1mm on our tiny FPV quads, must less a heavy lifter. If you don't mind risking your components though, it might be a good experiment to try your original plan and see how long it will last, especially if you already have the 1mm parts cut out. Also, I would be careful of an aircraft that size being controlled by a Naza. I know that many people have done it without issue, but it is outside of DJI's suggested frame size and if you have an issue, the first thing they will say is that you shouldn't have had it on something so large and they won't honor any type of warranty. Just some food for thought.

How are you designing your plates? What CAD software are you using and how are you cutting it out? Can you export to DXF? We have a few CNC's if you ever need anything cut.

Kilby

I think it's awesome that you are taking the initiative to do this on your own and just figure it out. That is the best way to approach it!

If I can give you one tip that might help save a few bucks, look into using G-10 fiberglass while you are still experimenting. This would be in place of the carbon fiber plates. It's nearly as strong and light and a LOT cheaper. Check out McMaster Car to find some, just search for G-10. It's also called Garrolite sometimes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#grade-g-10-garolite/=142ye80

photojunky

Thanks, I may look into that. I have one small sheet of carbon fiber coming on Saturday that is 3 millimeters thick. That should do it. I also have what you see in the photo left so I should be okay.

I can't emphasize how much fun I am having with these drones. I was always into photography, and when I found out I could fly a camera into space, it made it that much more appealing. I wish I got into it years earlier. I have built many computers, a couple of tiny homes and greenhouses so i kind of had a head start.
I think it's awesome that you are taking the initiative to do this on your own and just figure it out. That is the best way to approach it!

If I can give you one tip that might help save a few bucks, look into using G-10 fiberglass while you are still experimenting. This would be in place of the carbon fiber plates. It's nearly as strong and light and a LOT cheaper. Check out McMaster Car to find some, just search for G-10. It's also called Garrolite sometimes.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#grade-g-10-garolite/=142ye80