Battery Connectors

Area21

Area21
Looking to change my batteries and whilst on this I am asking advice on what battery connectors I should use.
10 amp 22.2 volt lipo Tattu battery - should I use XT 60. XT 90 or EC5 ?

Area21

Area21

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Looking to change my batteries and whilst on this I am asking advice on what battery connectors I should use.
10 amp 22.2 volt lipo Tattu battery - should I use XT 60. XT 90 or EC5 ?
Adrian, when you say a 10amp battery do you mean 10C? That's a very low C rating for a LiPo and a very low total current for a 6S system. I'm wondering about your numbers which makes it hard to recommend a power connector.

dazzab

I have a friend who swears by Anderson plugs as they are much easier to plug and unplug. But you need an expensive crimper for them. I'm sticking with XT-60s for the time being as I always use dual batteries so the current draw is less. I do have Hobby King spark-less XT-90s here that I was going to try but a friend of mine said they were crap and cheaply made so I haven't tried them yet.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I'm with you, still using XT-60's on 6S powered heli's but going to try XT-30's on my smaller 250 FPV quads.

Old Man

You need to exercise some care when choosing Anderson's. Great connectors but you must select the correct size for the current anticipated. It's not unusual to see 15 amp connectors on systems pulling 30 or more amps.

I was also curious about the OP's rating methods but feel he would probably do fine with EC5's if his system didn't pull much over 100 amps or so.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I found these to be AWESOME.
Secure lock, easy to soldier big wires, and can take a solid 200A with no issues.

PRC6 Connectors
Ideal for heavy-duty applications requiring up to 200 amps of current and 8 AWG wire - untinned; pre-tinned wire can be tight - these are some of the largest shrouded connectors available, combining safety and performance. To simplify your charging setup, these connectors are available in red and blue - we recommend using one color for your batteries and the other for your ESC and charge cables, so that you know you're always making the right connection.

If you are lifting a Buick they also make the PRC8

deal for heavy-duty applications requiring up to 300 amps of current, and able to easily handle 6 AWG wire, these are the largest shrouded connectors available, combining safety and high performance.

View attachment 26713
View attachment 26714

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 8.59.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 8.59.53 AM.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 259
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 9.01.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 9.01.01 AM.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 230

Area21

Area21
Adrian, when you say a 10amp battery do you mean 10C? That's a very low C rating for a LiPo and a very low total current for a 6S system. I'm wondering about your numbers which makes it hard to recommend a power connector.
I mean 10000 / 25C / 22.2V. I just equate the 10000 10 amps.

Area21

Area21
Thanks everyone for your suggestions & recommendations. I have decided to switch from XT 60 to EC5 on my SkyJib, but will stay with XT 60 with my F550 and ZMR 250 racer.

ovdt

For professional applications I would highly recommend the AS150 anti-spark plugs.

I used to have EC5 plugs but; because of the sparks, the sockets will start to have corrosion over the coating and this creates a huge problem if you don't inspect and change them in time. The contact of the sockets will get weaker over time and at some point you will loose the contact and power. There are incidents like this.

Get the best battery connector out there for heavy lifting applications.