Shotover U1

There is not a lot of info around yet but this is probably the most interesting (and probably most expansive) drone project I´ve seen.

Shotover builds the most decent helicopter gimbals out there, so I am looking forward to see their approach on a multirotor.

http://www.shotover.com/u1

Jjjkkklll

There is not a lot of info around yet but this is probably the most interesting (and probably most expansive) drone project I´ve seen.

Shotover builds the most decent helicopter gimbals out there, so I am looking forward to see their approach on a multirotor.

http://www.shotover.com/u1

I've been dying to hear more about this since they began promoting it last month. It's supposed to be released this December. We're already budgeting for it.

Good night movi

We´re planning on the U1 too, however what we´ve heard it´s going to be 100.000k +++ price range for the rig. But if they manage to implement full and proper redundancy (isolated and intelligent battery system, proper flightcontrollers), shotover gimbal quality (heard it´s a 3 axis not 6 axis one), stay below 25kg it´s going to be an interesting machine.

There is a long list of what I expect.

I wonder where they could get the knowhow of building a decent flightcontroller so fast.

Greetings,

Robert

maxwelltub

I've been watching this for a while as well. I wonder if they are going to release a gimbal as a stand alone product

ovdt

I am also watching this.

The roll bar of U1 is pictured on their web site and it is still quite big. Almost half size of K1. And if they are developing a sUAS to lift that gimbal, I am sure it is going to be quite big.

But being big is better days are getting over. We can now put a zoom lens on our Movi M15 and control it via Wedge and can get a decent result with Red Epic or Alexa Mini. I can't see any reason why we would want a bigger system. (I am just guessing that U1 is kind of bigger than the current systems).

We are already getting very good results with the current systems BUT, the only missing part of the puzzle is real redundancy. Dual FC, dual ESCs, dual bus. We have yet to see very reliable a FC with full redundancy features.

We will see what they will offer with U1. If they will price it over 100K, it is better they offer something really really good :)

We will see what they will offer with U1. If they will price it over 100K, it is better they offer something really really good

true ;)

I´ve seen the U1 roll bar, it´s huge. I am sure they are aiming for a setup like the Alura 18-80 or the Angenieux 17-80 for their payload. We fly an Angenieux DP 16-40 in our M15 and it´s very nice. Hopefully it fits the U1 gimbal.

However a big system in the 25kg range will be kind of a helicopter replacement. Flying close range with a beast like that is nothing I want to do.

If I´d guess we will (I hope) see:

-below 25kg
-3 axis gimbal, maybe 4 axis
-single channel downlink for flying, data and HD link(s) in one signal
-high flight speeds
-full redundancy
-proper battery system, maybe proper battery packs with integrated monitoring, balancing, battery management etc.
-full remote control for RED, Sony and Arri Mini cameras

However, just a guess. We´ll see.

Greetings.

As press releases are out and first real pictures are too I wonder what you guys think about the usage of A2 / Pixhawk controllers on such a pricy machine (price not released yet but sure it will not be inexpensive).

Also the usage of standard RC lipo technology is something I did not think would happen.

The gimbal looks amazing and probably it will produce excellent results as Shotover knows how to build these.

U1_10.23.jpg

Old Man

Take a look at the most recent issue of Popular Science. The Shotover with the most expensive video equipment you can fit on there can't hold a candle to the value of what's hanging under the X8 in the link, and the fact that lives are often at stake are good reasons to use something that works, is reliable in function, and can always be depended on. You don't choose an FC that has a history of fly aways and directional instability. So yes, one of your references can be effective for something like the Shotover but you can't be afraid to tweak the set up values a little if you want something that could be all it can be.

http://www.popsci.com/new-quadcopter-launches-drones-from-its-belly-catches-them-in-mid-air

Last edited by a moderator:

fltundra

As press releases are out and first real pictures are too I wonder what you guys think about the usage of A2 / Pixhawk controllers on such a pricy machine (price not released yet but sure it will not be inexpensive).

Also the usage of standard RC lipo technology is something I did not think would happen.

The gimbal looks amazing and probably it will produce excellent results as Shotover knows how to build these.

U1_10.23.jpg
Shot-over obviously didn't do there homework! No one with any common sense that has been around would ever use an A2. SuperX would fly that beautifully with a pilot that actually knows how to fly.:)

Old Man

Others also learned that the hard way;). Really looking forward to the release if the Shotover. The visual aesthetics of that rig will help sales immensely if the marketing is handled correctly.

jdennings

Cloudcap picollo redundant flight controller from the specs ...
Dont' know much about it except I've seen it run on planes in extreme environments and complex autonomous missions, and it delivered ...

jdennings

But then again, what else is available? Li-ion is not going to cut it due to low discharge rates, and fuel cell or gas generator is still way too much at the research stage ... Meanwhile industrial quality Lipos, not necessarily targeted to the RC/consumer market, are plenty available ...

maxwelltub

My question is balancing the camera, specifically the roll and pan. Also while other gimbals are adding more points of contact on the camera to allow higher gains and less vibrations, this gimbal as one point of contact with the camera and one point of contact for the tilt axis.

Old Man

Cloudcap picollo redundant flight controller from the specs ...
Dont' know much about it except I've seen it run on planes in extreme environments and complex autonomous missions, and it delivered ...

I've heard Cloudcap has been working on a really neat auto pilot system that's self learning. I hope what's in the Shotover is that one. I've got about 300 hours on an earlier piccolo system that worked pretty well. They are a company not usually in the limelight but definitely come up with some great products. Their IR payloads are great.