Headplay goggles and older users...

RandyWales

Hi again....
I'm keen on buying HeadPlay goggles for aerial video filming whilst my son pilots the drone.
I've seen all the reviews and videos, but recently I've read that people over 35 years of age have problems using them because the focal point is so close to they eyes. I am 60 years of age and I don't want to waste the money if I can't use them. Has anyone else over a certain age experienced this?
I've just discovered that RHO-LENS have brought out a replacement lens....has anybody used one? Do they fix this issue for older folks?
I would really like to experience filming and flight using this form of FPV, so I'd really appreciate any comments by those who have used Headplay goggles.
Regards
Randall
Swansea
Wales, UK

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
Hi again....
I'm keen on buying HeadPlay goggles for aerial video filming whilst my son pilots the drone.
I've seen all the reviews and videos, but recently I've read that people over 35 years of age have problems using them because the focal point is so close to they eyes. I am 60 years of age and I don't want to waste the money if I can't use them. Has anyone else over a certain age experienced this?
I've just discovered that RHO-LENS have brought out a replacement lens....has anybody used one? Do they fix this issue for older folks?
I would really like to experience filming and flight using this form of FPV, so I'd really appreciate any comments by those who have used Headplay goggles.
Regards
Randall
Swansea
Wales, UK
Hi Randy, very good question, we tried the Headplays (35-40 year old guys), and did not really experience this. This headset is actually really cool. I have tried various VR and FPV headsets, and find some working well while I have a little trouble with others. I'm not sure if you can really rely on other people's opinions as we all are different. I would recommend trying to order from a place with return policy in place, so you can try them on. Also, there may be dealer more local to you that may stock these. I'd recommend to try any headset before buying, whether a VR or FPV headsets. Please, if you decide to try them, I would really appreciate if you can share your opinion here.

Hi randy, Like Petr said, Googles are a very personal thing. I have tried many and settled on the fatshark attitude, but some guys at my club prefer the quanum v2's or the headplays, or even the dominators or skyzones. I would suggest that you attend a local race and ask a few guys if you could try on their goggles. Even though you aren't going to use yours for racing, this will help you get a feeling for which style of googles best fit your face and will work well for you. I'm sure that some other flyers will let you try theirs on if you explain that you are goggle shopping, and a fpv race will be the best place to find lots of fpv flyers. Check out the multigp website to see if there is a race group in your area:

http://www.multigp.com/

Talon Six

I have both the Headplays and the Dominator v3. I'm 45 and recently started to need reading glasses for viewing of things <12" from my face.

With my Headplays, I have to put a pair of reading glasses on underneath them to be able to clearly focus on the video. I can go without the glasses for FPV racing since the camera resolution is so low, but when the Headplays are plugged into my Inspire, the details are blurry enough to necessitate adding the reading glasses. Having said that, the image is crisp, well saturated, and clear.

On the Dominators, I don't have the close focus issues because the image appears to be several feet away as opposed to the Headplay which is right in your face. There is some slight blurring around the edges of the screen on the Dominators, which I have read is normal with these. Overall they are superb for FPV racing. Unfortunately, the Dominators don't do nearly as well on the HD video feed. The image appears distant, so trying to make out small details is challenging since it is like watching a 42" TV from eight feet away.

RandyWales

Thanks guys...
You are right...I need to try Headplays for myself in order to be certain...which is probably going to be easier said than done as there are few stockists in the UK as yet. They have taken an awfully long time to reach these shores. According to other forums, until recently they have only been available for purchase by UK residents via eBay or personal import. There is (at least) one stockist who now does have them for sale in the UK, but I read online about older people having the issues I described, so I held off buying the goggles for myself until I was certain. I suppose will need to exercise (even) more patience, and then wait some more :) and maybe some kindly pilot will let me try them for myself.
Randall

Todd Pals

With my Headplays, I have to put a pair of reading glasses on underneath them to be able to clearly focus on the video. I can go without the glasses for FPV racing since the camera resolution is so low, but when the Headplays are plugged into my Inspire, the details are blurry enough to necessitate adding the reading glasses. Having said that, the image is crisp, well saturated, and clear.

Talon, did you happen to try the various lenses available for the Headplays?

John Locke

Thanks guys...
You are right...I need to try Headplays for myself in order to be certain...which is probably going to be easier said than done as there are few stockists in the UK as yet. They have taken an awfully long time to reach these shores. According to other forums, until recently they have only been available for purchase by UK residents via eBay or personal import. There is (at least) one stockist who now does have them for sale in the UK, but I read online about older people having the issues I described, so I held off buying the goggles for myself until I was certain. I suppose will need to exercise (even) more patience, and then wait some more :) and maybe some kindly pilot will let me try them for myself.
Randall
Randy, I heard your question today on episode 75 podcast.

I'm 62 myself and had this exact issue with Headplays. The Headplay goggle is the best value I've seen on the market given the full 720 resolution that matches the Phantom/Inspire downlink resolution. The clarity is way better than anything else I've found. But most of us old guys will need to use custom glasses in conjunction with the provided Fresnel lens to get clarity with the Headplay goggles. The issue is that even with the Fresnel lens choices that come with the Headplay, that's not enough. So I developed my own set of FPV glasses out of pure determination to use the Headplay unit.

First, I found myself some +3.0 reader glasses ($45). I bought higher quality readers, but also looked for narrower width glasses to fit inside the goggle enclosure comfortably. The problem was the 3.0 magnification wasn't enough since the display is so close. Unfortunately nobody makes anything stronger than 3.0, so I had to get creative.

Second, since I'm a diver, I remembered you can buy stick on reader lenses for standard dive googles, a cheap way to read gauges up close. So I ordered some +3.0 lenses on Amazon ($15) that are designed to stick to the inside of standard dive goggles or reading glasses. I guessed at the magnification I needed, but with Amazon you can send stuff back if it doesn't work out. So I stuck these lenses on the inside of the +3.0 reader glasses, giving me an effective +6.0 magnification. This worked perfect, the display was in focus and I could use the Headplays, just like a youngster.

The only issue I have with the Headplay goggles is that it's difficult to see telemetry on the bottom of the display. I have to physically push the google up a little to see the numbers on the bottom of the display, which with a Phantom 3 isn't a big deal unless you need to see the little radar screen for craft orientation.

Erick Royer, I think you're right. Eventually optometrists will soon offer special FPV prescriptions for various brand googles. Coincidentally my wife works for an optometrist, I'll be talking to the doctor about this next time I see him.

UPDATE:
I just found a website that sells high power readers, up to +6 power. I just ordered some from this company.

Last edited:

RandyWales

Thanks John...
So there is hope for me yet :)
When you finish the flight, do you get blurred vision or dizziness when you take off the goggles?
Do you normally wear glasses for reading?
Do you wear distance glasses most of the time?
Just wondering how my eyesight might adapt to trying your method.
Randy

John Locke

My vision was perfect until I was 44yrs old, at which time my arms weren't long enough to read anymore. Today I always wear glasses, even for distance. I've got too many pairs of glasses, but my wife works for an optometrist, we get special discounts. For readers I usually use 2.5 magnification. I use those for working in the garage, grinding, drilling, welding with mask, etc. I just ordered some +6 readers from Speert, so I'll let you know how they work. When I use the Headplay Goggles I don't get dizzy or blurred vision, as long as I put my regular glasses back on. I never get dizzy or carsick, but without my glasses things are slightly blurred.

RandyWales

Thanks again...
We are all different...I wore distance glasses from the age of eighteen when I started shiftwork.
I only took them off to go to bed;)
I've always worked at a display screen and until ten years ago I wore my distance glasses for work, too.
Then things started to change after I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.
Rather than things getting worse, my distance eyesight actually improved dramatically so I now only wear glasses for night driving.
I can read the bottom line on the chart too.
It's only when things get really close up I start to have problems, hence my trepidation about using Headplays.
I use 1.5 magnification reading glasses for newspapers and my iPad.

I'll probably buy a set of Headplays and try a few things with those stick-ons...they are available in the UK too.
If things don't turn out, I can give them to my son.
Thanks for all your help...really appreciated.
Randy

John Locke

I predict you'll need about 5X magnification if you're using 1.5 for reading the newspaper. Good luck with the setup.
My vision was perfect until I was 44yrs old, at which time my arms weren't long enough to read anymore. Today I always wear glasses, even for distance. I've got too many pairs of glasses, but my wife works for an optometrist, we get special discounts. For readers I usually use 2.5 magnification. I use those for working in the garage, grinding, drilling, welding with mask, etc. I just ordered some +6 readers from Speert, so I'll let you know how they work. When I use the Headplay Goggles I don't get dizzy or blurred vision, as long as I put my regular glasses back on. I never get dizzy or carsick, but without my glasses things are slightly blurred.
UPDATE
I got my Speert +6.0 reader glasses today. They look like coke bottles, pretty funny. Not expensive,$20, and they have small frame options that look like Poindexter glasses. They easily fit inside the Headplay enclosure, and they work for my old eyes!
upload_2016-4-9_21-22-26.png

I put my headplay goggles on with the +6.0 readers and bingo, everything was in focus. I'm going to try them out tomorrow if it doesn't rain again. I'm stoked. My jury-rigged +3.0 readers with another +3.0 stick on lens were hard to clean for crystal clear views.
Now that I have that solved, I think I'm going to try the replacement fresnel lens you mentiond from RHO LENS. I've been communicating with them via email. Even though their lenses do not provide more magnification, they are a true lens that should produce more clarity. Their current lens is 2.47 magnification, which is about the same at the stock fresnel lens that comes with the Headplay unit. I'll let you know how it works when I get it.

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-9_21-22-26.png
    upload_2016-4-9_21-22-26.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 3,440
Last edited:

Does anyone know how the the higher rez goggles work for some with astigmatism? generally ok up close, but distance is an issue. I'd like to get some goggles and kinda want to "future proof" for downlink specs. Figure this would be the way to go.

John Locke

Does anyone know how the the higher rez goggles work for some with astigmatism? generally ok up close, but distance is an issue. I'd like to get some goggles and kinda want to "future proof" for downlink specs. Figure this would be the way to go.
If you can focus up close, you're good to go.

John Locke

So I tried or my +6 reader glasses yesterday and I'm a happy camper, they work great with my old eyes. It's important to get narrow frames to easily fit in the goggle opening. I think there are several pair available that are 4.9" wide, which is shown in the Speert website. That width fits good inside the goggle. There are several styles available up to +6 power.

John Locke

Update!

I ordered another pair of +6 readers from Speert using a different frame (see photo below) with a larger lens vertically, but still narrow, just 4.9" wide. The issue was I could not see all of the telemetry data at the bottom of the HD screen. When I got the new readers, although the lens provided a better vertical view of the screen, I noticed there was an obstruction for the lower part of the screen, mostly caused by the goggle itself. So I took an Xacto knife and carved away at the inside of the goggle, on the bottom mostly, but a little on the sides. Now I can see the whole screen.

It's taken a while to get there, but now I really like the Headplay HD goggle, and the clarity and resolution is way better than anything else I've seen elsewhere.

upload_2016-4-26_15-24-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-26_15-24-11.png
    upload_2016-4-26_15-24-11.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 3,321