Aeronavics / Droidworx flying Skyjib 8 in -20 temperature...

nileshafilms

Pankaj Sharma
Hi guys, I've to shoot at -20 degree temperature by end of this month.. need your suggestions for this.. I'm sure there won't be any GPS Signal so I've fly in Atti. Mode. What more precautions/preperation shall i take before fly there? Need your suggestions . .
thanks in advance

Nice. I am nearing getting my bird out for two potentials in a month and a half as well. I found the camera glass should set outside to get to the same temp, and I wondered if you are using a transmitter glove with anything warm inside.

-Cody

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Your flight time will be slightly reduced so try to keep your lipos warm to minimise loss. Why won't you have GPS signal, flying near the polar circle? (obviously cold doesn't affect GPS if that's what you're thinking)

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Do what ever you can to keep your lipos warm. Only put them on the aircraft at last safe moment so they remain warm. Once flying the current draw will keep the batteries warm. Also, look at your FC's documentation- DJI FCs are cleared down to -5 only so you may want to find ways of mitigating this.

nileshafilms

Pankaj Sharma
Thanks a lot guys for suggestions . .
btw what do you do to keep your lipo's warm all the time in such conditions?
As per the place.. it has only huge mountains.. with no phone signal, electricity etc. Thats why i think that i couldn't find any GPS there..

Buzz_Roavr

Sounds like the perfect place to get a great GPS signal! Keep lipos next to you body inside your jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotth

Do what ever you can to keep your lipos warm. Only put them on the aircraft at last safe moment so they remain warm. Once flying the current draw will keep the batteries warm. Also, look at your FC's documentation- DJI FCs are cleared down to -5 only so you may want to find ways of mitigating this.

I would definitely insulate the FC at least, and find a way to keep it within operating spec for temp. There are undoubtedly ways to do this with heating elements... i.e. http://www.adafruit.com/products/1481?gclid=CM3g9cGQ-8ECFa1cMgodrzAAZA

ZAxis

Your first port of call will be to understand the technology behind how your kit works. GPS is not a ground based signal such as phone & power. 24 satellites in orbit provide the grid from which the system works from & they are above. Hence why in built up areas GPS can prove to be intermittent. The best place for a clean signal is a large open area with clean views to the sky above. Your 'remote' location as buzz roavr said will be the perfect place for a great GPS lock. Only if you venture close to the polar extremities of the planet will you encounter problems.
Your problems on this shoot are defiantly going to be based around other equipment failing due to them not being rated at the operating temperature you are planning to work at but most likely it will be the human element that struggles with the conditions first.
I have concerns that if you don't understand how the basic pieces of equipment operate on your setup then being stuck in -20oC with a client asking you to perform that you may regret taking it on in the first place.
My advice for locations like this are look at every piece of equipment you have and read what the operating temperature range are. Neoprene is a great insulator and can be stretched around various components to keep the chill off them temporarily however you will have to work quick because wind chill will quickly drop the temperature over any piece rapidly.
Lec

dazzab

You might want to check the requirements for your camera in sub zero temperatures. I would imagine that a DSLR might have issues at low temps. In the old days of film cameras there were specific procedures for winterizing cameras.

Buzz_Roavr

The post I should have taken the time to write!

As Lec has said with the travel and investment you really need to make sure you know your machine inside and out before committing to the job.

Your first port of call will be to understand the technology behind how your kit works. GPS is not a ground based signal such as phone & power. 24 satellites in orbit provide the grid from which the system works from & they are above. Hence why in built up areas GPS can prove to be intermittent. The best place for a clean signal is a large open area with clean views to the sky above. Your 'remote' location as buzz roavr said will be the perfect place for a great GPS lock. Only if you venture close to the polar extremities of the planet will you encounter problems.
Your problems on this shoot are defiantly going to be based around other equipment failing due to them not being rated at the operating temperature you are planning to work at but most likely it will be the human element that struggles with the conditions first.
I have concerns that if you don't understand how the basic pieces of equipment operate on your setup then being stuck in -20oC with a client asking you to perform that you may regret taking it on in the first place.
My advice for locations like this are look at every piece of equipment you have and read what the operating temperature range are. Neoprene is a great insulator and can be stretched around various components to keep the chill off them temporarily however you will have to work quick because wind chill will quickly drop the temperature over any piece rapidly.
Lec

nileshafilms

Pankaj Sharma
Thanks a lot ZAxis and Buzz_Roavr for great advice..
I'll be using GH4 for this project .. I'll check all manuals to check working temperature . .
thanks again..

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have flown in much colder many tines with WKM and never had an issue. Acclimatise your kit before flying. I used down booties and mitts for my lipos with hand warmer packs inside. You can also get heated TX bags so your pinkies don't get cold.

Not sure about GH4 but I am sure it will be OK just make sure you have spare warm batteries. In those kinds of temperatures make sure you protect the camera from sudden temperature changes like walking in to a warm hut or putting in side a ten with a kettle on. Best keep it in a moisture proof sealed bag at ambient temperature and it should be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Good to know Dave- yet more beta testing by you then!

We all live and learn something new everyday.. how we share that is another matter.. Personally I hate to see people struggling and not really getting the answers that will help them. Matt, Lec and your input is highly appreciated as always. For me I just want to add my ten penny worth when I see stuff posted that really is irrelevant and with out any disrespect unqualified.

D

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
We all live and learn something new everyday.. how we share that is another matter.. Personally I hate to see people struggling and not really getting the answers that will help them. Matt, Lec and your input is highly appreciated as always. For me I just want to add my ten penny worth when I see stuff posted that really is irrelevant and with out any disrespect unqualified.

D

Sorry forgot to include Buzz

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Good to know Dave- yet more beta testing by you then!

Nay not 'beta' just done way back as POC.

Thats just what engineers do!

D

BTW hows the movenber tash doing? Was looking quality three or four days in so it should be cracking by now..

jimska

I've already had tips from you guys, thanks, following this as well. I know you say to keep the lipos warm close to your body which makes sense but I'm not sure I can get 10 or 12 in the suit, I'm big enough already, any other ideas?

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Some drinks coolers can also act as warming boxes so maybe worth getting one of those.