Did I Damage all my batteries?

Hi, I wanted to know if I damage all my batteries? Now I realized is not a good idea to keep them fully charged more than 1 day (I pretty sure I left some a week or even more) I just came from flying all the batties I have a F500 with E300 System with Naza-M v2

I got constant blinking red after few minutes, I got constant blinking red after few minutes, I pushed the calibration bottom on the software (First 15.40v Second Level 14.80v)

These are my batteries info: Time before Constant red and what my lipo Voltage Tester show:

TURNIGY 5000mAh 25-35C 4s
Battery#1 2minutes ALL 16.0 No.1 3.99 No.2 4.06 No.3 4.07 No.4 3.96
Battery#2 4minutes ALL 16.1 No.1 4.03 No.2 4.07 No.3 4.05 No.4 4.02
Battery#3 3minutes ALL 15.9 No.1 4.00 No.2 3.99 No.3 3.99 No.4 3.98
Battery#4 3minutes ALL 15.9 No.1 4.00 No.2 4.01 No.3 4.00 No.4 3.97

TURNIGY 50000mAh 45-90c Nano-Tech 4s
Battery#5 4minutes ALL 15.7 No.1 3.96 No.2 3.95 No.3 3.95 No.4 3.92

So Did I Kill the Batteries? any way to fix this?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
No, you didn't. Your batteries are fine. It is because you are using the calibration button instead of inputting the figures yourself. Try first level 14.8V and second level really low like 13.6V. You get voltage sag during flight so when you land they should be at 3.8V per cell. You should be landing at the first level protection stage. Use a stopwatch or timer for your flights. Time you flgiths and see how many mah you put back in. I imagine you should be getting around 9 minutes flight time with that setup.

Leaving lipos charged isn't so bad. If you left them fully charged for one year at room temperature they would lose roughly 20% capacity, so leaving them for only a week has negligible effects.

R1031

I'm having similar problems but its from my battery's not being uses for near a year, I stored them discharged. All will charge but I don't get flight times I did before. Some of them were new 2 years ago and never used. I been charging them after a balance charge, then discharging them with the charger feature hoping to get the life back in them. Should this help? or Fly them, and charge to restore them?

The battery chemistry health is best determined by looking at the internal resistance of each cell.
Compare the charger results with the manufacturer's new battery IR specs to gain some perspective.
Good quality chargers offer that feature. The manual calculation method is a bit tedious but it works as well.

I'm having similar problems but its from my battery's not being uses for near a year, I stored them discharged. All will charge but I don't get flight times I did before. Some of them were new 2 years ago and never used. I been charging them after a balance charge, then discharging them with the charger feature hoping to get the life back in them. Should this help? or Fly them, and charge to restore them?

R1031

Do you mean the amount you put back in the cell to recharge it to bring it to the rated capacity? I'm using a HiTec X4-Eighty charger, the battery's are Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 4s 25~50C.[h=1][/h]
The battery chemistry health is best determined by looking at the internal resistance of each cell.
Compare the charger results with the manufacturer's new battery IR specs to gain some perspective.
Good quality chargers offer that feature. The manual calculation method is a bit tedious but it works as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

No.....and I am not familiar with the HiTec X4-Eighty.....
If battery electrochemistry were 100% efficient there would be zero IR (and it gets worse as the battery and/or used cycles increase).
Internal resistance is a representation of this inefficiency measured as effective series resistance and serves as a valuable tool to determine the real health or remaining life of your batteries for safe flying.

FMA Powerlab, Hyperion, iCharger and other top-of-line chargers now do the internal resistance calculations internally based on the following that was developed a few years back:
http://www.maac.ca/docs/2013/lipo_b...e_max_current_draw_true_crating__rev3_toc.pdf

Hope this helps.

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for the replies, I noticed when the copter is flying the voltage of a fully charged battery drop from 16.5v to 15.7v on the air is that normal?[/FONT]

gtranquilla

RadioActive
In the case of all batteries the voltage when connected to the load is always a bit lower than when not connected to a load since the external circuitry always influences the power source.

The one exception is a highly regulated DC lab quality power supply that automatically senses and adjust the output voltage to a defined constant value and even that does not work well if the load is very low resistance!

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for the replies, I noticed when the copter is flying the voltage of a fully charged battery drop from 16.5v to 15.7v on the air is that normal?[/FONT]