New software not working with my older NAZA

R1031

I downloaded the new software today. My NAZA's are from around June 2012 just before the GPS came out or around the same time. I don't have the GPS for it and just fly it without. I no longer have the older software so I downloaded the latest that was the NAZA Lite. It wouldn't connect, I went to a older version 2.12 and upgraded the firmware and it now connects and calibrates the NAZA but I can"t get the radio calibrate to work??? Any Idea's?

R1031

Thank You!

I have something else.... I did get it working with 2.12 but had to enter a GPS location even though I'm not using one. I've made 4 test flights and it seems I may have a bad motor. I can leave the props off and it starts fine every time, when I put the props on and tighten the nuts and arm it don't start. I can spin the props by hand w/o plugged in and then power the hex up and it will arm and fly. Another thing I notice is now when I move the throttle up it idles the same speed until I get to around 50% stick then it speeds up and is normal after that ( new feature? ) and can idle up and down fine after the initial start up.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Bit weird about the GPS location.

Highly recommend installing the 4.02 firmware and going through a full calibration and setup. I am running V4.02 on two V1's and it works very well, best yet.

Pete

R1031

The NAZA's I have are from around July 2012, I believe just before the "Lite" model came out and the GPS came out just after I bought these. They came with the controller & BEC/LED (the type with clear heat shrink) The box don't call it a V1 but I believe it is. View attachment 18615

In the picture this is what I have less the GPS.
I have hundreds of flights on both them.

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 626

Another thing I notice is now when I move the throttle up it idles the same speed until I get to around 50% stick then it speeds up and is normal after that ( new feature? ) and can idle up and down fine after the initial start up.

Yes that is normal. It sucks, but its normal.

Why does that suck?

With about 20+ years of RC flying I have gotten used to being in control.
That means that when I move the stick something happens. :)
I find it disconcerting to move the stick and have NOTHING happens then suddenly I have lift off. :upset:
I have gotten used to it but to me,,, it sucks. Just like the lock out near an airport, and the limited distance and altitude as well as the angle of attack in GPS and ATTI modes.
I suppose the fact that they have placed them in the hands of any idiot with a few hundred bucks to burn has a great deal to do with these limiting features. :apathy:
I even understand that but, being far from an idiot, ( OK,,,don't ask my ex wife), I tend to be conservative and obey rules so I mildly take offense at being forced to do anything. :nevreness:

I hope that help to explain "sucks" to you. :02.47-tranquillity:

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
You bought the PDU and LED to get the 4.xx firmware correct?

Running the old LED and only added the PMU so I could use the Mini OSD, not required otherwise. I do have a new LED modified to use but have never installed it.

Pete

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
With about 20+ years of RC flying I have gotten used to being in control.
That means that when I move the stick something happens. :)
I find it disconcerting to move the stick and have NOTHING happens then suddenly I have lift off. :upset:
I have gotten used to it but to me,,, it sucks. Just like the lock out near an airport, and the limited distance and altitude as well as the angle of attack in GPS and ATTI modes.
I suppose the fact that they have placed them in the hands of any idiot with a few hundred bucks to burn has a great deal to do with these limiting features. :apathy:
I even understand that but, being far from an idiot, ( OK,,,don't ask my ex wife), I tend to be conservative and obey rules so I mildly take offense at being forced to do anything. :nevreness:

I hope that help to explain "sucks" to you. :02.47-tranquillity:

Mmmm, in fourty years of flying I am happy to say that this as a safety feature is just fine to have, if you want you can fly completely in manual mode.

Remember though that the Naza FCU's are deigned with maximum stability so that they are the choice for when you want stable video and photos, if you want maximum agility then you should choose another flight controller. On my Disco Pro I use a Naza and on my Spanky I use a CC3D, on my Q400-X I use KK2.1.5, horses for courses as they say.

With a bit of practice you can just raise the throttle stick till it engages then back off, from then you have full control, I usually don faff around when I am ready to fly anyway, goggles on and liftoff within a seconds, can't waste 1mA of battery time.

Cheers

Pete

R1031

Remember though that the Naza FCU's are deigned with maximum stability so that they are the choice for when you want stable video and photos, if you want maximum agility then you should choose another flight controller. On my Disco Pro I use a Naza and on my Spanky I use a CC3D, on my Q400-X I use KK2.1.5, horses for courses as they say.

With a bit of practice you can just raise the throttle stick till it engages then back off, from then you have full control, I usually don faff around when I am ready to fly anyway, goggles on and liftoff within a seconds, can't waste 1mA of battery time.

Cheers

Pete

I found out about backing off the throttle while setting it up with props off. It was a surprise and I wasn't sure if it was working right since I haven't used any newer software since my original. I haven't flew them for near two years from flying another FC. I find different FC's for the style I'm going to fly ie: Revo or CC3D for stunts and aerobatic use, NAZA for Stability in AP and FPV inspection and the more features opens more options like search and rescue.

R1031

I just updated to 2.20 and 4.02 firmware and it does not "see" my transmitter or will not calibrate. I went back to 2.12 and it works, even now setting the GPS to 0cm where I'm not using one. I'm wondering why it will not calibrate my DX8 with the 2.20?

Last edited by a moderator:

R1031

Thanks for everyone's help, I have it working on the current 2.20 and 4.02 firmware. Seems I have maybe a bad NAZA, I've changed out the radio (both Tx and Rx) to my JR but the problem I'm having don't go away. I thought I couldn't get the newer software to work but it now looks like a hardware problem. When I connect the battery to Rx light shows a solid light, but nothing works. Even my camera tilt servo doesn't work. I can move the wires between the Rx and NAZA and it comes to life, then everything works. Thinking it was a bad Rx I changed it, then rebind-ed the RX to another Tx. Same thing happens, I checked the wires between the RX and NAZA but those are ok, so the only thing left is the FC. This non-working thing was what made me think the software was not working with the older NAZA.

R1031

Yes flying again, one of my Rx was older and was questionable but I was sure the 2nd was never crashed. Both AR7000's but I had forgot I had a new JR 921 and it has none of the signs the other two Rx showed.

I got to fly 6 packs yesterday and test all the features of the V2 and DJI has come along nicely from when I got the V1's. I tested my lost signal, went into a low hover over tall grass ( in case it fell) and switched the Tx off...it did as it was suppose to, perfectly! I'm going to build a larger Octo in a few months and not sure if I'll stick with NAZA or upgrade to WK-M or A2, some of the A2 threads have me spooked.