prop question - graupner 9x5's

neilius

Hi Everyone, nice to meet you all!

I've been in RC for 15 years but about one month into quading and loving it! I hoped i could get a few questions answered if you dont mind?

My Graupner props turned up today. So im changing out the stock 8" DJI ones, not because i found them bad but mostly because as my payload has gone up to around 1.5Kg with all the fpv/camera stuff i wanted stiffer and more reliable props. I know these are the popular choice and i was delighted to see they were balanced out the box! Is that usually the case with these? Great quality.

Anyway, one thing i read is that the static thrust, size for size, of these props are lower that the DJIs. You can actually see their shape difference placing one on top of the DJI props, its quite different. That said, i was hoping that the 9x5 Graupners being an inch over all bigger that the DJI 8" would bring it back to about the same. Does that sound right..ish? It feels like its hovering in the same throttle position.

Also, are the any Naza gain adjustments i might need to make and if so which way? I presume id need to reduce gains slightly as the discs are bigger and far less likely to be prone to that spongy effect the plastic DJI props produced.

Many Thanks,
Neil

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Just be careful when boring out the 9's to fit the dji motors as that boring can really throw the balance off easily.

Tomstoy2

You are correct in thinking to step up one size in props when changing from sf to thin props.
Gains will change, but that is up to you to determine.

As far as balancing goes, always check when installing new props, never assume.

Personally, I find them over rated, not to mention expensive. I fly APC's and have great success with them, but I just fly at hobby level, not professional. If I was to fly with the intent of selling then I'm sure that I would reconsider.
What I do find interresting is that people that do fly professionally appear to use Xroar wood props, mostly.

neilius

Just be careful when boring out the 9's to fit the dji motors as that boring can really throw the balance off easily.

interestingly these were at the correct bore so no reaming necessary, both stepped inner diameters for the DJI shafts!

also -thanks for the info Tomstory. Good to know im on the right track. I do a lot of Arial filming so balance and vibe reduction are everything to me, there was no assuming about the props, just observation once i had checked them :) I will order a set of ACPs to try. I agree the Graups are too expensive for what they are.