DJI "NEW" 10" Props

My top tip! Graupners are worth every penny. The confidence I have in my 'beasties' is totally different. I had a few failures with inferior props and the investment in Graupner props was fantastic - even vibration is better....
Please don't risk it!

Nuttzzy

Do you balence your quad props like any other blade?? Or rotor??

Beep, Beep, Honk, Honk, Over and Out Rotorhead

My top tip! Graupners are worth every penny. The confidence I have in my 'beasties' is totally different. I had a few failures with inferior props and the investment in Graupner props was fantastic - even vibration is better....
Please don't risk it!

I put on the set of Graupners Today. I didn't have time to balance them yet and I wanted to see a before and after comparison anyway. The vibration might've been slightly less than my stock props. I did notice that they were quieter and I got about one minute more flight time. That's almost a 20% increase. That alone could be quite valuable.

simafoto.cz

I put on the set of Graupners Today. I didn't have time to balance them yet and I wanted to see a before and after comparison anyway. The vibration might've been slightly less than my stock props. I did notice that they were quieter and I got about one minute more flight time. That's almost a 20% increase. That alone could be quite valuable.

Wow, It's interesting :) I didn't expect 20% increse.

Well I'm running older batteries that I got with my F550 and I have only been getting about five minutes flight time. Not changing anything else it went up to six minutes to my warning settings.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Have you even tried these New DJI props already @helloman1976?

I haven't but they look a lot like the chinese ones from Hobbyking and those were very heavy plastic, not much flex in them either. I like Graupners if you can afford them or APC's if you're cheap, want a great prop and don't mind HAVING to balance all your props prior to use. Also, the APC spacers are garbage and you have to go through a few of them to find one that's actually punched out to the correct size but there again... $10 a prop for Graupners or $2 a prop for APC's?

abonto

Sorry to change the subject, but how do you perfectly balance this prop? It has that flat hole that only fits with the DJI motors.

tstrike

pendejo grande
Put the nipple of one cone in the prop hole and flip the other cone around so it sits flat against the prop.

I just realized I got to use "nipple" and "hole" in the same sentence and it wasn't about anything nasty, ha ha...

Last edited by a moderator:

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Sorry to change the subject, but how do you perfectly balance this prop? It has that flat hole that only fits with the DJI motors.

Use a prop balancer, they're one size fits all and they work very well. I just balanced all my blades and then polished them up so they are smooth as glass. It's difference is amazing, flying in straight lines...minimal vibrations etc etc...

Nuttzzy

Use a prop balancer, they're one size fits all and they work very well. I just balanced all my blades and then polished them up so they are smooth as glass. It's difference is amazing, flying in straight lines...minimal vibrations etc etc...
Did you balence with tape or what? And how did you polish them?? Jw

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Did you balence with tape or what? And how did you polish them?? Jw

No tape, I use a prop balancer and sand paper. I use 100 grit to take off large amounts of plastic, 220 grit for medium and 400 grit for finishing. Once the prop is perfectly balanced you can take a polishing compound, or even something like 1000grit, to smooth out the prop to get efficient airflow over the surface. You don't want any hanging bits of plastic from the casting for example. I take a super fine sandpaper and smooth the surface to a smooth surface.

Nuttzzy

I was thinking sandpaper. But thought it might mess up the cord of the prop, But where do you take it off of to lighten?? Back side? Can't change it to much. Will lose its efficiency

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I was thinking sandpaper. But thought it might mess up the cord of the prop, But where do you take it off of to lighten?? Back side? Can't change it to much. Will lose its efficiency

You're not reshaping the airfoil you're just removing some weight through the removing of some of the plastic. I try to evenly remove plastic and I do it from the top and bottom, it usually doesn't take much. To finish it just use 1000 grit or finer sand paper and it'll be smooth as a baby's bottom.

rexbirk

Are the stock prop failures with 10 inch props only? I am going to be using 8 inch props so if 8 inch are failing too how do I tell the difference from old and new? I am assuming that the kit coming to me is probably the old style.

Anselmo

Hi I just got a F550 kit, they are coming with 4, 10 inch and 4, 8 inch propellers, can I upgrade to the 10 inch Graupners for all the motors without any more modifications? and do you think is going to give more or less flying time?
Thanks, I really new in this.
Anselmo

Yeah you can upgrade to Graupner 10" which is what I use. The Graupners fit the stock DJI motor shaft but the holes are circular and not elongated like the DJI ones. So some people use a washer between the prop hub and the nuts but I don't, I just nip up the nuts pretty tight. Balance your props though, I was amazed the difference it made to my GoPro footage.

I'd like to say run with the props in your kit but the original DJI blades were so poor quality that I wouldn't trust any DJI blades now. Some would disagree but put put it this way, some people said they had no problems but a lot of people, like me, said they had a blade shear off from the hub in just normal gentle flight. There has been NO response from DJI at all on the prop problem and when they eventually got round to fixing the prop issue, there was confusion because to my knowledge they produced two different replacements. It's too late, DJI never came clean on their props being problematic so my advice is put the props in the 550 kit in a drawer and forget about them.

I wish DJI would omit props altogether from their kits, that would reduce the kit price by about £1 and save people like me a lot of money through blade failures.

Oh, I get 7 minutes out of 3S 2200 Lipo's.

Nuttzzy

My question is how do you know your going to need 10" rather than 8"?