Commencing first F550/NAZA/GPS build

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
With a fresh cup of coffee and a clear table, my first F550 build. SHould be fun. Thanks to everyone that participates here as I'm sure I'll be surfing through looking for answers to questions! Where else would I go???

:)
Bart

bigmoebbq

Sweet. i built mine over the last few days. I think I am ready to fly it. However i am trying out the Open pilot CC3D board and it does not seem to be as stable right away as my Naza.

Bartman

it's an interesting bit of kit. a lot of things are worked out already but it looks like you still have to figure a good amount of things out for yourself.

need to find a set of directions online and get to it.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Should take you 4-5 hours to get that thing going. I will be very interested to hear what you think. it's different from Hoverfly but the gps and alt hold are down right superior.

bigmoebbq

most of the time putting it together. Get a good solder station, flux solder, And ask as many questions as needed to get it done. Pretty simple really until you to programing the controller then the fun really starts. At least that was how it was for me.

Bartman

i'm building it for someone else and we're supposed to fly it on Sunday. nothing like a little pressure to motivate you!

it looks fun although there's more helpful info here for the build than at the DJI site!

Bartman

after this I have to build a Hoverfly XY8 for a buddy of mine and then it's time to do two new prototypes of the XY8 and EOSc camera mount for this year's work/flying.

Bartman

finally finished assembling the camera mount, time to get the NAZA installed, updated, and ready to fly.

Bartman

Here's the quick and dirty on it. Pretty standard stuff

NAZA/GPS
F550
468 NAZA FLamegear XT camera mount w/ gear
Gemfan carbon/nylon props (DJI specific)
JR radio
Turnigy Nano-Tech 5000 mah 4S packs
GoPro Black

Bartman

It's coming along Ben. I left the house today to spend some time with the kids and delivery has been postponed to Tuesday so I'm hoping to have it all sorted out and ready for its first flight by tomorrow afternoon.
It's a neat collection of stuff but it's sort of humbling to tackle a new flight control system and see how confusing it is. It makes it easier to relate to people just getting started and the frustration that goes with it.

Bart

Bartman

It flies! Like every other first flight where I was nervous, it popped into the air and sat there looking at me as if to ask, "what? why so nervous?"

Everything is pretty much by the book. I added some silicone tubing across the sharp edge of the back plate for the battery wire to ride against and used grommets in the slots of the top plate where I passed wires through. I also put a short wire extension into the bind port of the JR receiver so I can get a bind plug in more easily as I finalize what I want the failsafe stick/switch positions to be.

I can see why the NAZA/Flamewheel builds are so popular, it's a nice little package and a good way to get introduced to RC multi-rotor heli's.

View attachment 8894

Bart

Attachments

• DSC06882.jpg
    DSC06882.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 248

Bartman

just test flew it with the GPS working. It's got a little wobble to it but I think that that can be tuned out with the gains.

all in all it seems to be doing fine and we should have a good time tomorrow teaching its new owner to fly it.

Thanks for the help guys. There's lots of good info here!
Bart