Esc and Batteries

crusher

I was wanting to know if it would be ok to run a 30c battery on a 30a esc?? I'm building a quad and don't know much about this type stuff.. I have read other forums but it all sounds like Chinese to me.. Can someone explain this in laymen terms?? Here is the info on the parts i will be using..

Motor

• Max. efficiency: 82%
  • MAx. efficiency current: 7-16A(>75%)
  • No load current/10V: 0.9A
  • Current capacity: 16A/60s
  • Internal Resistance: 150mohm
  • Stator Dimensions: 22 * 10mm
  • Shaft diameter: 3mm
  • Recommended model weight: 200-600g
  • Recommended prop without gearbox: APC 7*6, APC 8*3.8, APC 9*4.5, APC 10*5
  • Item size: 3 * 4.8cm (Diameter * Length)
  • Item weight: 43g
Esc

• High rate PWM
  • Low resistence
  • Sixteen cells Max (with BEC disabled)
  • User programmable brake
  • Low voltage auto setting based on battery
  • Throttle range self-adjusting
  • Soft start ramp up
  • Auto motor cutoff with reset
  • Runs motor in forward or reverse
  • Safe power arming program ensures motor will not run accidentally after turn on
  • Low torque start
  • Auto shut down when signal is lost
  • Constant Current: 30A
  • Input Volt: 6V - 12V
  • Max Current: 40A
  • Low-Voltage Cutoff: Auto detect and set
  • Size: 56mm x 24mm x 8.5mm
  • Weight: 26g( Net Weight)
  • Battery
  • 11.1V 2200mAh 30C 3s Lipo Battery Pack

Last edited by a moderator:

crusher this is sketchy info what are you planning on building exactly (quad yes), purely putting a limited number of specifications on a few items does not mean very much. The "C" rating of the battery only tells you its maximum discharge capacity. Voltage capability of the ESC needs to be compatible with your battery voltage and the ESC amperage rating needs to be compatible with the maximum amperage your motor will draw. Have you looked at kit systems (Almost Ready To Fly), they have everything in them that you need (almost) you assemble the kit get a radio and receiver and start learning to fly. I mention this only because you state that "don't know much about this type stuff". Much reading by you needs to be done, when I first became interested I browsed forums for weeks just reading and absorbing information.
Regards - bruce

crusher

crusher this is sketchy info what are you planning on building exactly (quad yes), purely putting a limited number of specifications on a few items does not mean very much. The "C" rating of the battery only tells you its maximum discharge capacity. Voltage capability of the ESC needs to be compatible with your battery voltage and the ESC amperage rating needs to be compatible with the maximum amperage your motor will draw. Have you looked at kit systems (Almost Ready To Fly), they have everything in them that you need (almost) you assemble the kit get a radio and receiver and start learning to fly. I mention this only because you state that "don't know much about this type stuff". Much reading by you needs to be done, when I first became interested I browsed forums for weeks just reading and absorbing information.
Regards - bruce

Thanks for the reply... Yes I have bought a almost ready to fly x525 quad and now I'm wanting to build my own.. I have a flam wheel body that I'm trying to build.. That's why I was asking all these questions, didn't want to burn up anything on my first build.. Thanks for the help I will read more forums and see if I can get a handle on what to buy before I buy!!!

Hi crusher, I assume by flame wheel body you mean plates and arms for a F450 worth about $32. What are you trying to achieve, just flying line of site, or first person view. Flamewheel F450 quad kits are very cheap $190 with motors & ESCs' screws, props that you do not use, buy Graupner props (NO flight controller included of course). How much money do you want to spend?
If you want to build something really nice but small the FPV Discovery from Team Blacksheep would be a good way to go (you only lose $32 by not using the F450 plates and arms).
http://team-blacksheep.com/shop/cat:discovery
I started with the F550 and am now building a TBS Discovery. Its smaller easier to transport and ideal for FPV but may cost more than you are willing to spend.
I decided to use the SunnySky V2216 900KV Multi-rotor Copter Outrunner Brushless Motors (half the price of tiger motors and same spec) with 9" Graupner props
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/sunnysky...-rotor-copter-outrunner-brushless-motor-.html
and ESCs' that kloner recommended iPeaka iQ 30A Brushless Multicopter ESC w/ SimonK Firmware
http://www.altitudehobbies.com/ipeaka-30a-brushless-multicopter-esc-simonk
Forgot to mention the battery Zippy Compact 25C 4000Mah weighs 370 grams dimensions 147x44x27mm or you could use the zippy compact 35C 4500Mah 466 grams 163x46x29mm (might be a tight squeeze for the Discovery).
Regards - bruce

Last edited by a moderator:

crusher

Thanks for the info, I will defiantly look into all of them but right now i already have the flam wheel (450) frame and was just looking for help on the motors and esc. I want to get into fpv but ill have to buy a piece at a time cause money is always short plus i am kinda still learning to fly :(... This will be my 3rd quad unless you don't count the ladybird. My main quad that i learned on is that cheap x525 with a kk board but now i have the rabbit, kkv2 and the AIOP v2.0 all in one pro. So i was looking to hook one of those boards up to the flam wheel, right now the rabbit is on the 525