Coming back into the RC hobby

Hello Everyone,

My name is Dennis, I live in South East Texas about 30min Southeast of Beaumont. I have been out of the RC hobby for about 25 years now. I would like to get back into it with a Quad rotor. I was heavy into cars, boats and my highly upgraded Schluter Heliboy. But now I'm lost with all the new technology. I have no idea where to start when it comes to motor, ESC & batteries. So here I am to learn as much as I can.

Regards,
Dennis

Welcome aboard, you are up for plenty of good surprises. Electric motors have become more efficient than nitro.... No more wiping the oil residue on the plane and no more bitching from the wife that there is no more Scott towels AGAIN.... You will love it!

Dale UK

Hi Dennis

I did the same as you - was mad for the hobby, then kinda drifted away from it. Now I've just picked it back up on Quads (and beyond now!!!). Technology here is mind blowing if you let it be.

Below is a post I put on another thread on MRF - but it's very relevant to what I think you are probably looking for - I'm in UK, but modern technology sorts that out these days too !! Having been where you are a few months ago - just ask if you need help! - I might not be an expert - but I've broken through the pain barrier and survived!! :nevreness:

I went from the DJI F450 to the TBS frame - massive improvement especially if your'e using a GoPro - more room for everything and the inboard wiring links, inboard battery compartment and custom GoPro mount make for a really neat installation. Consider some nice motors to put on your TBS frame too - like the TorxPower 2216's or similar with Graupner 9x5 E-Props for a vibration free flight (all can be viewed @ www.quadcopters.co.uk - think they might post internationally too?). Great as a fun Quad AND good photo/video frame. Use a 4000 or 5000mAH Turnigy 4s 20/30c pack from our friends at HK and you can't go wrong - cheap and widely available spares if you have a mini oopsy!! - but all in all - none of the above will break the bank and is a fantastic combo from beginner all the way to expert !!

Hope that helps - Dale UK

Thanks for the info Dale. I will look into all you said. I have a custom camera & controller I plan on using. Once I am comfortable with it in the air. It is a camera module from a surveillance camera. I built a custom control to operate it.

Dale UK

Thanks for the info Dale. I will look into all you said. I have a custom camera & controller I plan on using. Once I am comfortable with it in the air. It is a camera module from a surveillance camera. I built a custom control to operate it.

I'm interested in your custom controller and what it's capabilities are ....... I also have a DJI S800 Hexacopter that's looking for a nice camera system - just can't at the moment justify the $3500 tag for the DJI Zenmuse Gimbal system (which is clearly the best out there) + another $400 for a Sony Nex5N to bolt on to it - ouch!