Multirotors Battery TIPs PART 1

Drones4You

This video is the PART 1 in a series of videos regarding the battery charging and discharging , and as for some TIPS related with this TOPIC.

Many people asked me to do this sort of tutorial and here it is!

Lots of good infos

Just remember that the batteries I bought for this are two Turnegy 6.0 , both from Hobby King!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

Can you rebalance and unbalanced battery?? I just received this error on my recharging station on Genesis 6000 mah lipos.

Dewster..... that is an excellent question...... In my opinion, since the cells are wired in series and all the recharging energy comes through the single series circuit, there is no way for additional current or voltage to target any unbalanced cells. The purpose of the balancer is to monitor the condition of all cells and to adjust charging and discharging within the constraints of the weakest cell. Otherwise the weakest cell would become damaged and make the entire pack useless.

However a discharge cycle might help to reduce all cell levels closer to a common level such that a subsequent recharge cycle will result in better full charge balancing.

Can you rebalance and unbalanced battery?? I just received this error on my recharging station on Genesis 6000 mah lipos.

FerdinandK

@Dewster

You can load each cell individually (via the balancer plug) as 1S , and bring them to the same voltage in that way. But if you did nothing special and the pack just became unbalanced over time, this is a sign that the end (of the pack) is near.

best regards

Ferdinand

Dewster..... that is an excellent question...... In my opinion, since the cells are wired in series and all the recharging energy comes through the single series circuit, there is no way for additional current or voltage to target any unbalanced cells. The purpose of the balancer is to monitor the condition of all cells and to adjust charging and discharging within the constraints of the weakest cell. Otherwise the weakest cell would become damaged and make the entire pack useless.

However a discharge cycle might help to reduce all cell levels closer to a common level such that a subsequent recharge cycle will result in better full charge balancing.

I agree with your narration and description Peter but I believe that Individual cell balancing is not only possible but takes place every time you charge a battery. Let me explain:

As the battery charges, every cell receives the same amount of energy (watts) BUT when any of your cells reaches a tension of 4.2 volts (max 4.210 v.), the charger will not allow this value to be exceeded for that one cell (I suspect through the cell balancer connection). While this is happening, the other cells' voltage keeps going up until they also reach 4.2 volts or very close. Only when all the cells are at 4.2 volts will the charger release the battery with the 100% charged ticket. I my opinion, when all the other cells are catching up to level 4.2 volts, they are actually balancing their charges in relation to the fully charged cell.

In other words, you start with the same tension in all the cells after every charge. As there is no control as to how fast every cell will discharge their energy, you often notice a gap after the flight when you connect to the charger, and the cycle starts again. When a cell is no longer capable of catching up the 4.2 level, even after several minutes of ''individual'' charging, then the pack becomes unsafe for flight. May be OK for cars or other earth attached vehicules, but IMHO the battery should be discarded.

Roger..... your feedback seems to make sense and is well explained.
I am still learning the details on my one and only Hyperion charger and related software.
Will take a closer look at the documentation and the charging/discharging results for each cell before I rush out the door to fly again.