SR Pro Micro gimbal from Atlanta Hobby

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Does anyone have any experience with these? If so, could you please provide sample footage?

Haven't had practical experience with it but I did see it up close at this very store* a couple of weeks ago. It is certainly made well enough but it is not intended to be anything more than a holder for the GoPro. The Tilt and Roll functions work in so far as they move the camera in the two axes. However, you can not expect such a rudimentary assembly to create cinematic magic.

Price is good for what you get but you may well regret the GoPro only limitation.

The US Forestry department was just taking delivery of two SJ-800's, both equipped with these little GoPro gimbals, with the intention of using them for surveillance and sniffing out fires etc. with programmed waypoint flights. Good idea and good business for Atlanta Hobby but almost certainly doomed to being a waste of tax payer money.

* the same store that saved by buddy and I a collective $15,000 with a timely demonstration of the SJ-800 Flip Of Death.

Last edited by a moderator:

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Capital letters : Flip Of Death

There is a thread somewhere that talks about it that shows videos of SJ-800's flipping about and somersaulting into the lake/ground/bushes. I gather it is an expression that has come to describe a problem that afflicts mainly the SJ800 with recent Wookong-M firmware in particular whereby at any unannounced and random time, having behaved perfectly previously, it does a little jerk and then a number of somersaults into the ground. What we witnessed at Atlanta Hobby was three adjacent motors stopping in mid-air, thus leaving three powered motors on the opposite side of the frame and so inducing the somersaulting Flip Of Death.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Flip Of Death isn't exclusive to the SJ800. Mikrokopter had a Flip Of Death problem a while back, can't remember if it was firmware related or the caps breaking off before people started hot gluing them. It's scary when it happens, eh?

I had either a motor or ESC failure this weekend and have contacted both Atlanta Hobby as well as the manufacturer regarding repair parts for it. It ain't lookin' good folks. Nice mount but the support doesn't seem to be there.

atlav8r

Hi, I think I remember we shipped you the parts and maybe at NC just don;t have access to the file right now. Let me know if that did not happen as we have tons of parts in stock.

MikeyJ

I've been using mine for several months now with no problem until recently when it soars the vertical tilt servo went bad. I have a new one on order. It can handle more than just a Go Pro. I've been using a Song NEX 6 with a pancake lens. It does struggle a bit when I ad the fish eye attachment, but I'd point that more at the copter over the gimbal. This is on Atlanta Hobby's RTF DJI F550 build.

In summary, I'm happy with the performance of the SR Pro while reserving final judgement until I have this servo problem fixed.