Wookong-M setup that 'just works'

Johnny 2x4

Hi MRF-ers,

First post on the forums here, i’ve been reading and gathering information for a while now! Thank you all for the information and inspiration. Business is boomin’ and i'm in need of upgrading. For 3 years i’ve been flying an ‘oldskool’ MK setup FC ME2.0 with AHM36/6 motors. Flying fully manual as i’ll never trust the MK GPS. Now i’m looking for a more efficient setup to rely on. I’ve bought the DJI Wooking-M system with the f550 for some testing and i’m really surprised by the results and the instant trust it gave me to use GPS-functions.

I’ve read a lot on this forums that it’s probably best to stick to the MK FC for heavy lifters instead of using WKM, but i’m willing to give it a chance as i’ve seen good results!

This is the setup i came up with after frequent reading and researching the last couple of months:

My primary camera: Canon 5DmkII + 16-35 f/2.8
Camera on order: Sony FS700
Frame: Cinestar 8 + 3X gimbal
FC: DJI Wookong-M
Battery: 2x 5S 5100mAh parallel
Motors: AXI 2826/12
ESC: HobbyWing Platinum-70A-HV-PRO
Props: Graupner E-prop 12x5

1) What do you think of the selected components? There are many more motors to choose from like the Plettenbergs but they are hard to find and a little above budget. 2826/12 seems be the best choice for my demands. Your opinions?

2) Many have good results with the HobbyWing 40A speed controller, anyone experience with this 70A version? http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=192 What do I need (to do) to make them ready for DJI use?

3) What about the propellor choice? 12x5 was my bet to try out first.

Over 3 years in the business and it’s still impossible to find a ‘proven’ setup... Wish it was as easy buying ESC/Motor combo for a ‘normal’ heli, just buy a Kontronik Jive and Pyro and you won’t have any concerns...

Kind regards,
John

Hi John,

Im pretty much a newcomer to this part of RC flying but I have to say that your setup as you've described looks pretty bloody excellent to me!

Best wishes,

Luke

PaNt

First of all there is no need for 70A esc..

Secondly for such cameras i would go for 6s in order to have more efficient and cooler setup..!

And thirfly the prop is wrong you need bigger prop.!

Johnny 2x4

Hi PaNt,

Thank you for you reply, maybe your statements are right but since they are not very well-founded i can't draw any conclusion from them... Why is 70A overkill? Better save than sorry, some Amps to spare won't hurt anybody, except the weight. So which prop size do you recommend? Picked this size as a conclusion to all the stories i’ve read. “Smaller and lighter props work best on DJI Wookong,“ many agree. Not trying to disagree with anybody, just looking for some good argumentations/recommendations on this setup.

AXI 2826/12 motors and HobbyWing 70A ESC's are shipped, planning on making the power distribution out of wires, no PDBoard.

Anyone got a better suggestion for the props? Octo, WKM, 2826/12, 5S...

Regards,
John

Sebas600

Hi John you should check your setup idea in www.elac.ch
This will be of big help but your setup as shown here is not to good for the stuff you are going to lift.
also when using an 3x gimbal the WKM only supports 2 axis so yaw would be free.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
John the axi Motors: AXI 2826/12 are good motors, but I would tend towards lower KV motors if you want to fly with 5s or better with 6s. But its a little hard to find the right motors for that. Concering the 70A ESCs you should really look for different ones ! You are packing on extra unnecessary weight with those ESCs and ESCs running way under what they can do "can" also result in lose of efficiency compared to lower rated ESCs like 40A that run in their sweet spot.

Boris

jhardway

Boris I always like to read what you have to say, keep up the good work by nicely offering up your knowledge.