Gaui Gaui 500x with NAZA problems

ErikT

Hi all.

I need some help getting my Gaui 500x to work with the DJI NAZA controller and the Futaba T8FGS. After days of studying manuals, forums and watching youtube I suffer information overload and still can't work it out.

Being new to this hobby I would like to begin with many thanks to Tahoe Ed and Sarawuth.com for their training videos without which I probably wouldn't even have gotten this far.

Here is my problem: the Gaui gives me all the right 'beeps and lights' and two of the motors are 'twitching' in neutral but I get no response whatsoever from stick movement.

Here is what I've done: as stated in the NAZA manual I set the ESC's connected directly to the receiver (without NAZA). In this setup one motor per channel reacts to stick movement. Connecting the NAZA and hooking it up to the laptop via USB I can calibrate everything and it all seems to be working fine according to the NAZA assist software (that is without MC output). I get no error messages in the software and seemingly no light or sound errors without being hooked up either. I've tried to reverse the throttle (in the tx and the software both) and all other functions as well but to no avail. The settings are almost identical to the ones in Sarawuth's video on 1-2-3-4-7, only I cleared all other/unused channels.

As mentioned before I'm a beginner and might just overlook something very basic or stupid. Please let me know if any of you have encountered similar problems. Everything might help.

Regards from DownUnder, Erik

As for the wise crack: so far so good said the man at every floor after jumping off the highrise

Tomstoy2

Sounds like you have not calibrated high and low point for the throttle on each esc.

To do this, I would doing it one at a time.

Plug in the red wire back into each esc connector and go directly to the receiver.
Apply power to the esc,
Place the throttle to full throttle and apply power to the transmitter,
then lower the throttle to minimum.
Remove the red wire afterwards.

You are right that the throttle channel on the Futaba needs to be reversed first.

ErikT

Thanks for the quick reply tomstoy2 but that's not it. i followed your steps but it is still the same: with the NAZA connected i still don't get any reaction on stick movement (and i was so full of hope) although the software shows no errors.

Tomstoy2

Think it's time to see some close up pictures of your set up. That could really help out.

Another thing that comes to mind, are you sure you have the signal and ground wires plugged into the Naza correctly, not upside down?

Thinking here out loud,,,, do your other two motors spin up?
If so, I would recommend unplugging all your esc's from the Naza, take one that you know works, and plug it into a Naza port that doesn't, see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

ErikT

i think i've tried all possibilities: brown wire up, orange wire up, with and without the red wire connected but the motors just won't start. actually none of the motors spins with the naza connected but all of them do when hooked up to the rx directly. i'll get some pics today and post them tonight. i just hope there will be something easy to pick up on :tennis:

Coomkeen

So, can I get this straight, just so I can think about it clearly - are you saying that the motors won't run up to 'idle' speed when the sticks are put into the CSC position?

In other words the Naza won't arm?

Ron

EI8GMB - G6IWK
www.bandonmodelflyingclub.com

ErikT

here a picture from my setup. to make it easier to see i pulled it out of the frame. the colours are as follows: receiver-orange on top (due to the plugs with slot), receiver to naza- brown on top (due to the plugs with slot), naza to esc's-orange on top. for naza to esc's i tried both possibilities (orange and brown on top). i set up the esc's several times and they work just fine when directly connected to the receiver. i hope you can spot the fault although the sharpness is getting pretty bad so small.View attachment 5814

Attachments

• Gaui setup-4.jpg
    Gaui setup-4.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 302

ErikT

hi coomkeen. i didn't set/program a csc position. i set the cut off type to 'immediately' in the assist software and the manual says you just need csc with the setting on 'intelligent'. and yes, that's correct: the motors won't run at all so i think the naza is for whatever reason not arming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coomkeen

Hi EricT,

That may be your problem.

I just tried mine (indoors with no props) in 'Immediately' mode and it still needed the CSC procedure to start it.
The difference is that in 'immediately' mode the throttle stick returning to zero kills the motors immediately, whereas in 'intelligent' mode it take a few seconds, and also, I believe, the motors are stopped after landing and things like that.

But whatever mode you are in it still needs CSC to start.

Hope that helps.

Ron

EI8GMB - G6IWK
www.bandonmodelflyingclub.com

ErikT

it would seem I couldn't see the forest for all the trees anymore. thanks ron. at least the motors start up now. unfortunately it's to dark now to give it a go.

Tomstoy2

Glad that's sorted! :)

One word of warning, and I hope you have noted this, the motor numbering is different on the Naza than the Gaui, make sure you have the motor rotation correct.

Have fun.

ErikT

thanks for reminding me guys. that's a very often described mistake in all the gaui and naza forums so i got that right. just a couple more hours and i will be airborne. i can't wait. thanks again for your help. erik