Naza - Can it do an X650v8?

Totality

I'm looking for redundancy and the Naza assistant can't do a true Octo setup, but I was thinking about the X650v8 with props on each motor facing the SAME way. IE You set the Naza to quad mode.

Would this work? If one of the motors failed, the existing one could just work harder as the prop turns the same direction as the one that just failed anyway?

Bowley

I was under the impression Naza could only support up to 6 motors, I guess you are planning to control 2 motors off each channel. interesting idea!
I think your redundancy would depend on your all up weight. so if your using 8 motors for increased payload over the quad I would think you wont have redundancy. If your simply using 8 motors for redundancy and carrying a V4 capable payload you should be ok. but you will get lower endurance.
I'll be interested in how it goes.

Dewster

Very interesting idea. I've heard of something similar to obtain redundancy. Having back up features when you're flying the amount of weight that these craft carry is important. One prop, esc, (or rare motor failure) and most of these craft come down.

Has anyone tried or heard of a brushless motor with a shaft that extended through the top and bottom. It would allow props for top and bottom of the motor. It would probably require a stronger esc and props offset "X" style to work. The flight controller can fly it as a quad even though it will have eight props.

Totality

Yes, it would be for redundancy only and not for lift capacity.

My FPV gear arrives this week and I can't help but feel anything that stops me having to climb a tree or lose the quad would be useful. Was thinking of wiring each motor in parallel. The Naza would only see 4 motors.

I have a feeling it will fly poorly as the lower rotors will be in the upper rotors wash all the time, but I'm no physicist!