Awesome photo gig

Kilby

Hey gang,

I just had an awesome photo gig over the weekend that I wanted to share with you. Truth be told, we didn't exactly get the results that we were looking for, but the weather was mostly to blame. The project was to capture a few aerial photos of Artscape in Baltimore. It's the countries largest free art festival with just over 300,000 attendees each year. Unfortunately, this year saw 2 of the 3 days filled with rain, so the numbers were much lower than previous years.

We got there early and got a few shots before the crowds took over. We were shooting on behalf of the local weekly alternative newspaper, The City Paper. They were nice enough to secure the top level of a parking garage for us to shoot from once the crowds got there. We saw total support from the event organizers, local media and law enforcement. A few of the police officers actually stopped us to have a look at the copter and pose for photos with us. They absolutely loved it and wanted to know more about how to get involved themselves. I couldn't believe how cool everyone was!

Even with the large crowds, we were able to keep it safe and didn't have to fly directly over top of anyone. We were crafty enough to spot out locations on google maps ahead of time. Lucky for us, there were a lot of train tracks and fenced off areas that we could fly over without risking flying over people.

Here is my favorite shot of the day. ;-)

View attachment 5380

Here are a few others we got that day. I'm still going through and doing some edits and such. The weather started to show severe threats of rain and thunder later in the day, so we cut the shoot a little short. It figures that the bad weather never materialized, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

View attachment 5384View attachment 5385View attachment 5383View attachment 5382View attachment 5381View attachment 5386

-Terry

Attachments

• Terry and the cops.jpeg
    Terry and the cops.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 393
  • Artscape2012_1.jpg
    Artscape2012_1.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 340
  • Artscape2012_2.jpg
    Artscape2012_2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Artscape2012_3.jpg
    Artscape2012_3.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 199
  • Artscape2012_4.jpg
    Artscape2012_4.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 222
  • Artscape2012_5.jpg
    Artscape2012_5.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 329
  • Artscape2012_6.jpg
    Artscape2012_6.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 496

ChrisViperM

Cool...I wouldn't like to be arrested by the big guy on the right side of the pic. Would setup did you use ?

Chris

Kilby

Sorry guys, I somehow lost this thread.

It's an F550 modified to a 650 size frame (custom carbon fiber extensions) with a WKM and a frankenstein gimbal. It's put together with parts from several different ones I've had over the last 2 years.

The rig was just converted into a 2 person set up with my wife running the camera gimbal and triggering the shots (or intervelometer). It uses Avroto motors and spins 11inch graupners.

The cops were fascinated with the thing. One of them told me he flew a Blade mSR at the station. Probably some of the nicest police I've ever met.

-Terry