F550 FPV/AP NAZA+GPS work in progress.

So here's my work in progress flying FPV platform.
Still putting this thing together, will post more as I go. Started building it saturday, and here I am.

Equipment:
DJI F550 frame.
NAZA + GPS stabilization
1.2ghz 1W vTx
2.4ghz 1W booster for control Tx
WDR770 FPV cam
AR8000 dsmx reciever
800kv v2216 sunnysky motors
4-5Ah 4S battery packs
10x4.5 props

powerboard.jpg

2012-07-06_18-11-02_91.jpg

Layout.jpg

almost.jpg

Future plans:
roll/tilt gimbal with landing gear to carry nex5n. Undecided on what landing gear to go with..
LED lights for arms/night flying
12" props with aerialmediapro arm extensions if weight becomes an issue.

Got everything but the GPS and FPV gear mounted now... The wires for the motors were so long, and I didn't want to cut them, so I just ran them around the arms :shame: The FPV gear will be simple and light: just a fixed forward facing cam, vTX, and wire harness for them. GPS atti, atti, and manual set on a 3 way switch, with throttle hold switch set to fail-safe. All motors spin the right direction... A little confused on the best spot for my GPS now.. The instructions are pretty unclear. Also unsure about my XYZ settings...

Will post more progress tomorrow!

OK - Got everything setup and flying! She hovers PERFECT in GPS atti mode. But i have a problem...

F550 was about 40-50 ft high up, 100 feet forward from me. Tested failsafe! While in failsafe mode, the hexa came back to me, but made a constant circular movement. The circling it made was pretty big, like it was flying in a 15ft wide circle all the way until it touched down. Anyone know what this could be? This is my first hexa so I'm very inexperienced in making naza adjustments or what the gains even mean. Please help me fix this!!!

Thanks,
Nick

Here's an updated pic of the setup. Using 2x3000mah 3s packs for now, will use 5000mah 4s packs soon. I'm SOO impressed with the way this thing flies so far.. I can litteraly stick out my hand and land it on my hand :D
2012-07-13_12-37-10_38.jpg

I found out why it went into failsafe.. I took apart my DX7s and found the antenna wire had came disconected from the Tx board!!! Could I have burnt up my Tx? I've read it's bad to power on transmitters with the antenna disconected

I really doubt my failsafe problem was just a fluke.. I'm scared to test it again honestly. That was like 30 seconds of terror! Again, my problem: It seemed to fly straight on it's way back to me, but right before it started to decend, and on it's way down, it made a GIANT circular pattern. It even came very close to a tree and my heart stopped! Not sure why it's landing like this, next time I test I will be in a huge open field. IDK what to change in settings to fix this... XYZ maybe off a little? Thanks again for all the help guys.

You'll want to check the magnetic declination in your region. Google it, easy to find. Then offset your GPS puck the amount of your magnetic declination. It'll be, say 5 degrees east, as an example, then offset your puck that amount. This is the most common cause of "toilet bowl effect" (tbe). There are many threads on it.

Let us know if that works.

Duane
Coptersolutions.com
Sent from my EVO 4G lte using tapatalk2

Totality

How do you find the F550 with effectively 6000mah? How long for each charge do you get? I didnt realise how small 3000 packs looked on it! I'm looking at the F450 and was going to get some 3000 packs for when I upgrade to F550 but I'm now thinking of just buying a few 4000mah pack instead! Whats battery like for one 3000mah?

TheF550 is great with 5k or 6k packs. With 6k I get 13 minutes without a gimbal. With 3k packs figure it should be half that or slightly more than half.

Duane
Coptersolutions.com
Sent from my EVO 4G lte using tapatalk2

The 2x3000mah packs work well.. maybe 13 min flights? I didn't time it, and decent power too on my 800kv motors. But I tested it today with a 5000 mah 4s pack, 10 inch props and Wow!! Love the added power of 4s. The motors were barely warm too. I will be flying 4s only now on these 800kv motors I think they are great! Although I haven't tried any other motors yet.

Also thanks for the help on the toilet bowl effect I was having, but I haven't tested failsafe again yet. I did however, calibrate the compass haha. I forgot to do that...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

VINHEX

I'm so getting a DataLink are you going to use a Joystick or have you used one. Which one would/do you use?

Vin

Here is the progress I made on my F550. Re-soldered and replaced the bottom plate after a crash. Just finished getting everything back together, it's looking so good!

I also have aerial media pro's arm extensions, 11" props, and aeroxcraft landing gear to try out later.

Attachments

• DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 215

Ok today I put on aerial media pro's arm extensions, and threw on some gemfan 11x4.7 props for ****s and giggles. I'm using sunnysky v2216 800kv motors, so I wasn't expecting it to fly to great. It flew supprisingly well, with just a few hiccups. When stopping from flying forward at full speed(let go of the stick) It would loose altitude and dip down a little, then recover and float back up where it should be. Any ideas why it would act like this? I'm guessing the motors are just too small and can't keep up? The motors were warm when I landed, but not too hot. What is a safe temperature for these motors? Also, now when I press forward the hexa goes slightly left, do I just need to turn my compass a little?

Attachments

• extensions.jpg
    extensions.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 265

Ok guys I could use some advice. I did my first test flight with aeroXcraft landing gear, and a dummy weight where my nex5n will be. I'm VERY impressed with the way the heli flew/handled in the air, rock solid.

View attachment 5882

For those that don't know, I'm using sunnysky v2216 800kv motors with 11x4.7 gemfan props and a 5ah 4s pack. My motors were very hot after a full flight though, I checked the temps with a temp gun, and the hottest motor was 120 deg F. Is this too hot to fly? lend me some of your expert advice please, what is safe operating temp for these motors? I have some 2814 750kv iPower motors I could throw on, but they are heavier motors and I would get shorter flights I think. Should I keep flying with the sunnyskys or swap them out?

Anyone? Are my motors safe to operate at this temperature?
Did some googling, and found "- Rare earth magnets stable up to 180℃"
http://www.himodel.com/electric/SUNN...r_Version.html

IDK if I trust that though, but that is WAY above the 120F my motors were at

Attachments

• DSC00053.jpg
    DSC00053.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 301
Last edited by a moderator: