How high can you fly ?

Hi all,

Just have a simple question on the normal height that the multirotor can achieve :)

I have reached 40 meter height however never tried to go higher because of the battery limit and when cinestar 8 come back its qc3638 motors really hot (can not hold my hand to it :) )

What's is your highest fly so far and what do you think could make the motor cooler (chage battery, reduce weight or just simply not care about it cus the motor can stand for the heat :D) ?

Please share your experience on this matter :)

DennyR

Getting up there is not the problem, the danger comes when you you descend too fast. I once had to go into free fall to save enough power to land. That got the heart going. Telemetry on your battery level is about the most important must have feature. IMHO. Weight is the enemy which is why I have developed a 2.0 - 2.2 kilo machine that can fly for 20 mins plus. motors etc barely warm.

Last edited by a moderator:

ovdt

Right, descending is the hardest part. The vario tone coming with Graupner MX20 HoTT and MK electronics is very useful when descending. You can easily understand from the tone if you're getting down here pretty fast or slow. Sometimes it's hard to understand the descending speed with naked eye.

I've made 700 meters but I've taken lots of precautions for it. I don't recommend it doing without a perfect setup, some other crew members and free air space.

There are some German guys doing 1000 meter with their setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

In my case, the ocktocopter has to load about 2kg so AUW is arround 6.5 kg.

I do not sure when you fly up to 700 meter how much weight your quad is carrying ?

I feel a little bit surprise when with 4s lipo, I can fly about 2 minute and motor just warm however for 6s lipo (with higher C and esc capability) the ockto can just fly in 1 minute with very hot motor :(

ovdt

Tiger MT2814 / 770KV
14x4 props
MK Electronics
BL-Ctrl 2.0
2 x 6000 mAh 4S Lipo
Sony Nex5-N

The bottom motors ESCs' get 75 C maximum and they don't have heatsink right now.

Hi odvt,

It seems that my ESC has been set up wrongly and it cause the motor get heat :(

What is your setting to ESC ? Do you just plug and play or have some special setting :)

ovdt

For MK Bl-Ctrl, there is no need to make any software adjustments. Just making sure all the time, second capacitor is installed and they are always there. (Sometimes they can fall due to the vibration and it will continue to work with one capacitor. )

When using round arms, perfect motor level is also must. Cold solders also can cause heat also.

So I have to purchase a program card to set up those ESC and will update the result when I finish thanks alot for your help.

Dewster

I've taken my Hexa to a height where it was a little dot in the sky. Bringing it down safely is the issue with battery life. I have to reduce throttle enough to bring it down (looks like it won't descend), conserve battery, and keep the wobbles off the craft. I only need a few feet above ground for photography.