Wow!!! Anyone looking for F550 should read....

hjls3

So after much debate, I purchase an f550 from Patrick at Aerial Media Pros. I deal with companies all the time and I can say that Patrick's customer service is top notch. Very Very good customer service. I will be buying professional setup from him next week. Quality of the work he did assembling the 550 is great. I had Patrick build this one for me. I wanted to take the lack of my soldering skills out of the equation. The build is great, the copter flies amazingly good. Stoked that he talked me into JR radio with gains that adjust on the fly, super fun.

If you cant tell, I am really pleased. Patrick is the man! Here is the link to his website -

http://aerialmediapros.com/store/index.php

This copter flies so good that I am going to let my 9 year old son, with really quick thumbs, fly it this weekend. Video to post soon. I will be selling some RC Heli's soon too, I wont use them anymore after flying the 550 :)

Thanks Patrick.

RCNut

You could always fit a Flymentor 3D to your heli to bring its stability closer to the F550.

mailman35

im waiting to build my f550, , i got a feeling i need to break down and redo the soldering + naza layout on my f450 as well.
i decided to go with 2814 motors instead of the stock dji's as they just lack the power thats needed at times. :p

hjls3

this morning I flew my 550 in wind that I would not even consider getting one of my heli's out in. I do have one heli that is real decked out and i am a believer in these hexacopters. after just a few flights, i could see how training on a 550 could make you a better heli pilot. to me, the 550 is just much easier to fly.

@mailman - you are going to love the 550 platform. im already thinking more power, not that i feel its lacking any. just one of those more is better times. first though, i am going to give the 10" gaupners a go.

One large DJI F550 Package w/ JR 9503 controller received!
Aerial Media Pros (from Patrick).

log date: Friday, April 6th, 2012.

The test flight was ready out of the box.
A review will be in order a solid month after the charger and supplies come in (next week).

All the dogs and cats ran out of the room!
Wow, 1/2 the area carpet flipped over, and random loose papers littered the room...!!

It looks like it's a winner Patrick!
Thank you for saving me a ton of time as a newcomer to the hobby.

As soon as I get the moviemaker up, I'll post a maiden flight.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2vWYBFqu8qc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:

jnbarrett

You could always fit a Flymentor 3D to your heli to bring its stability closer to the F550.

FlyMentor is a terribly finicky system and a PITA to setup just right.

Much better off with a Skookum Robotics SK-720, which now has beta firmware available for multi-rotors, and the GPS unit is also about to be released....

That said, I'm excited to get my hands on my F550 w/ NAZA and FlameGear LG/Camera Mount ... they arrive this week. I'm building this as a demo unit to take to all the funflys this year. I'll be picking up an S800 as soon as I can get my hands on one. :)

Thanks for the positive report on the F550!

hjls3

That said, I'm excited to get my hands on my F550 w/ NAZA and FlameGear LG/Camera Mount ... they arrive this week. I'm building this as a demo unit to take to all the funflys this year.!

JN - You are going to have a ball with the 550. I am so shocked at how much fun I am having flying it for sport. I originally intended on getting it to fly a GoPro around for kicks. Turns out, it is just lots of fun to fly. Manual mode is a hoot. The 550 is quite a handful in that mode yet still easier to get yourself out of trouble than a heli. I took my Blade 400 for a spin today and confirmed that the 550 has really installed some confidence in my RC flying.

jnbarrett

JN - You are going to have a ball with the 550. I am so shocked at how much fun I am having flying it for sport. I originally intended on getting it to fly a GoPro around for kicks. Turns out, it is just lots of fun to fly. Manual mode is a hoot. The 550 is quite a handful in that mode yet still easier to get yourself out of trouble than a heli. I took my Blade 400 for a spin today and confirmed that the 550 has really installed some confidence in my RC flying.

I'm certainly looking forward to it .... I've flown the Gaui 330X extensively, and more recently, the mQx (what a hoot this little one is!). I'm looking forward to something larger and more stable.

I have a pre-production SK-540 unit that I'm testing for Skookum right now, and it also has the multi-rotor beta firmware. I have it installed in my Gaui 200 and let me tell you, this new unit is LOCKED IN. We currently sell only rc helicopters (Compass and Gaui) and the Gaui multi-rotors.

I'm on the verge of ordering the WK-M despite already having the NAZA - but I'll likely wait for the S800 and order them together.

mailman35

i was able to get most of the soldering done on my 550 tonight, leds soldered up to the esc's , i would have the power cable soldered up but i melted the xt60 connector :(
also have to find an alternate lower prop shaft locking nut(round AL with set screw) as teh sunnysky 2814's are to big to fit with it on ( even with quite some sanding of the inner part) :(

hjls3

also have to find an alternate lower prop shaft locking nut(round AL with set screw) as teh sunnysky 2814's are to big to fit with it on

Mailman - I would be interested to see a pic of what you finally come up with for motor and mounting motor. Then of course, what you think of its performance. Im thinking motors will be swapped sooner rather than later on my rig. Stock performance is ok with me but a little extra go never hurt anyone :)

sotomatic

Mad Scientist
Hey Mailman,

I have to agree Patrick is the man and helped me out alot in getting my F450 up and running. I'm pretty sure this is a video of him building the 550 which may be some help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4M95kRo_AM

Also, I feel your pain on the soldering handicap. I too suffer from it as I found out this weekend on my F450

Best of luck