DJI 18amp & 30amp ESC's

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Is any one using these with anything other than DJI motors.

I have heard they are the same as Hobbywing but that are nothing like them in the construction.

They are much bigger than the hobby 18amp and the 18amp is the same size as the 30!

I also note there is no BEC in them so do I have to disconnect the red wire?

Is there any instructions for these esc's

I see Davidscarbougher is having some issues with them with his Axi's. Any one else using either of them on Axis?

Dave

Dave, in the absence of any info on them I've tried both ways (please excuse that expression) with the red wire connected and disconnected and, experienced exactly the same problems. I just considered there are people out there using the DJI ESCs with motors other than the DJI variety. I can't put my hand on my heart yet and say that it was the DJI ESCs causing the problems on my craft but it is certainly going in that direction. The ongoing problems that my craft now has, although similar, are self-inflicted...I can't prove it until my new boom arrives.

elossam

Im using it with HoverflyPro and axi 2217/20 without apparently troubles. What are the problems you found.?

jforkner

I'm using the DJI 30A ESCs with Avroto M2814-11S motors on my new NAZA-powered hexa, and they're working fine. I've only had a few flights with the new 'copter, but I've had no problem with them controlling the motors. I migrated four from my F450 and added two more. No wires to cut.

Jack

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Everyone.. I just spent all day building and have just fired bird 1 up. Its a ADX3 DW with Opto 18amp and AxiDW 2217/20motors.. I aint test flow yet but everything seems ok. I will get her on the test bed tomorrow morning for a pre flight test. I guess airtime is the biggest test but so far so good..

Will report back in the morning..

Dave

Dave, thats's brill...I'm sure that all will go OK. Judging from the other couple of posts here the DJI ESCs work OK with motors other than DJI which leads me to think that maybe what I've got is a single naff DJI ESC causing all the problems. What I've got to do now is somehow find out which one of the four it is.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dave can you access the motor wires enough to get a amp meter round them?

If you could strap it down and load each motor in turn you should see which one is different..

I have made a little extender set so I can check each motor phase individually.. not tried it yet but was hoping to monitor motors over a period of time to see if any differ so I can try and spot problems before they arise

Dave

Dave, unfortunately the the ESCs are placed towards the end of each boom about 125mm from the motors...so it is possible to get a current clamp around each wire assuming there is a clamp manufactured small enough to fit. The unlikely alternative is to place an ammeter in series with each of the motor/ESC wires/phases and place the meter in the centre of the craft. Is there stuff out there that is scaled down, fits OK and allows for the info to be transmiited back to the 'pilot' ? There is nothing of that I know about that is relatively cheap and allows for testing of ESC output under different conditions. I know it doesn't help other forum members in any way but I'm at a point where I @m putting it down to bad luck, a one-off naff product, an iffy connection, who knows. It will be expensive to find out for sure. Once my new boom has arrived I'm inclined to carry out Boris's suggestions with the Turnigy Plush ESCs that I'm pretty sure will run good. If that checks out OK I may then consider the Maytech V1 ESCs. How do your your extenders look ? What parts did you get to make them ?

David

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Dave..

I am having issues with my Optos. Two are intermitted starters one worse than the other + they dont seem to start up together. If I cycle them on and off a few times they seem to speed up at start up and the affected motors stutter. I have remade the bullits twice I know its not a dry joint.. this does not bode well for my confidence in them at all.. I think Ill go back toeither hobbywing or Meytech V1s!

The lead I have made up is just a piece of motor wire with a male bullet on one end and a female on the other. I just unplug the motor from the esc and connect them to the little 100mm extensions

Dave

DennyR

Dave
Are these Optos programmable? I am wondering if it is a timing problem. With my Tm motors I have to run high. or they can stop in the air if you snap open the throttle.
I have some ESC's that wont even start with a DJI controller.

When I built my first Droidworx AD6 I used AXI 2217/12 and DJI 30A esc; worked great out of the box without programming. I was flying on a DJI NAZA. When I built my CX4, I was using AXI 2814/22 and DJI 30A ESC. I Customised them somewhat, original shrinkwrap off, cut off the bullet connectors and direct soldered the motor wires to the ESCs, then heat shrinked the whole lot up. I was using XOAR 13" props. Interestingly when I spun up for the first time they worked perfectly, but on the second attempt my 3rd ESC just wouldnt spin up, the motor was doing a crazy dance. When I swapped to EPP 1045 they worked like normal again. After much of the same occurring I decided it was an ESC error not a motor one so I ripped out my entire power harness and replaced it with a Herk V4. Cant afford for my bird to go down over a $25 ESC. I would use the 30A again, but only for significantly underpowered applications.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
@ Denny.. no they aint programmable.. Just thought if they were made by DJI for the WKM/Naza they would be bob on.. Maybe they are only designed for their motors. Who knows. I cannot find any instructions for them.. dont even know if they need to be callibrated for tx throttle.

@Matthew. Thanks for that..I cant afford the thing falling either so they are now off with some 18amp hobbywings on the way. I have just tried each motor on a a hobby wing 18 amp I had on my bench and they all spin up much smoother than on the Optos.. clueless.. guess I should have just stuck to what I know works..

DAve

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
OK Just done some tests.. I have got two brand new motors DWAXI 2217/20's One on the Opto 18amp and one on the hobbywing 18amp esc.. any guesses to the results?

Dave, your experience and that of Mathew Wright is very similar, if not identical, to my own. I don't have a lot of kit hanging off the craft yet but I've already lost a good number of props and an expensive boom arm. Like you I should have stuck to what worked. I don't want to have those problems happen again. I've just replaced all the ESC/Motor connections with the 4mm gold caged variety...the contact area for these is 15mm long and sprung so they should be good. Once I am sure everything works again OK using Boris's formulae with the Turnigy ESCs I will then try out the Meytech v1s.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The motors sound MUCH smoother with the hobbywing 18amp esc. no suttery start and no increased speed after three or four starts.. Ho Mum the learning curve continues!

Dave

Dewster

I use DJI 30a ESC with Avroto 2814/11s motors. No issues. It was plug and play. You don't have to cut the red wire on Optos.