FPV using GoPro on a gimbal?

rcmike

Hi everyone. I have been flying my quad using my gopro as a flight camera as well. I have a camera gimbal on the way that I will stabilize through my Naza. Has anyone tried flying FPV through a stabilized camera on a quad? I know I will loose the tilting sensation so it will probably be a little harder to tell which way you are moving but will it be a problem? I can use a separate FPV camera but I would rather see what the quad sees to know what I am filming. I'll probably try it with just the GoPro anyway but just wondering how it worked out for other people.

steph280

I've pondered the same question, and the consensus by the experts over at rcgroups says this is not recommended, and in fact dangerous.

Most people use a separate fixed FPV camera, and a video switcher so you can sneak peek what the GoPro is doing.

rcmike

I have read that but I have been wondering how many people have actually tried it. I was thinking of a video switcher but was trying to keep everything as simple as I could. I may go that route. Thanks.

larobeaa

I have a mikrokopter okto with navi contoll, and fpv straight from the live feed of my dslr camera mounted on a gimbal works great for me:tennis: No aditional camera

Breezer1

Night Fury
Everything I've read so far points to using the gimbald mount un-stabalized, however, most guys say that putting the tilt servo to a channel on the transmitter that is related to a twist knob is a good idea in case there is something below you that you want to look at.
There is a thread I read recently about FPV flight making one feel motion sick. Perhaps the stabilized view adversly affects orientation. Liimited field of view and not having a seat of the pants gyro might be a bad combination. All of this is supposition on my part because I'm not completely there yet. I think based on a lot of recommendations I've read that I would not try the stabilized camera without a check pilot hooked to a buddy cord.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Breezer1

Muunk

I´ve got a flamewheel with the wookong m, and are doing some fpv with a simple gimball on the tilt funktion - and I think its working great. No problem for me at all with orientation. Actually i´m considering making a roll funktion as well, as I think its kind of annoying not to have this funktion - when its windy your allmost never not at level in the sky. :)

danny g

I have no issues either with the roll and tilt plugged in and functional on a NAZA f550. Actually if i were to rate it, i would say amazing... I still am able to see the craft movement which is noticeable enough so that I can make the corrections for flight.

Chadfish

I have no issues either with the roll and tilt plugged in and functional on a NAZA f550. Actually if i were to rate it, i would say amazing... I still am able to see the craft movement which is noticeable enough so that I can make the corrections for flight.

I too am interested in using a gimbal while flying FPV, but have heard it could be dangerous. Would getting an OSD (On Screen Display) be the way to know what the quad/hexa is doing as far as tilt and roll goes?

Last edited by a moderator: