Interesting approach with the WKM as FC

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmmm i hace no clue and cant comment on it just thought it was a fresh but not new approach to share. Less noise in what sense ?

Boris

hjls3

Boris, I watched both vids they posted. 1 video with duct and 1 without. The makers of the video were commenting that with the duct the kopter was much more quiet. Wondering why duct would make it considerably less noisy. Anyway - I too found the whole machine very interesting and fresh.

DennyR

I think what is nice about that design is the way that most of the lift generated is used to lift the machine from the center and the stabilizing is done by smaller high reving motors. I doubt that it is very efficient on battery life but good stability. Might have been better with just three stabilizers.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I wondering what happens if you get this thing in full forward flight picking up speed and bring it back to level or stop the forward movement. Seems to me that small props will have the work against the trust of the main lift props in the middle that would still push into a forward movement. Resulting in a very sluggish maneuverability. Or am i getting something wrong there. Just came from a wedding and i am always confused coming from such ceremonies :)

The makers of the video were commenting that with the duct the kopter was much more quiet. Wondering why duct would make it considerably less noisy. Anyway - I too found the whole machine very interesting and fresh.

If I remember correctly (from the days when I was flying Cessna 172's) most of the noise from a propeller comes from the tip of the blade slicing through the air. My thought is that the ducting is blocking the noise of the propeller and that is why it is a little more quiet.

hjls3

If I remember correctly (from the days when I was flying Cessna 172's) most of the noise from a propeller comes from the tip of the blade slicing through the air. My thought is that the ducting is blocking the noise of the propeller and that is why it is a little more quiet.

mile high - i am still flying cessna plane and a cub quite often. i asked someone, that would know the answer to this (really fearing a very long conversation that i would not understand), his reply - "duct acts like enclosure for the blades, making it quieter" then he said something about directed airflow and sound frequency. he sensed that i was getting confused and went back too ...duct acts like enclosure for the blades, making it quieter.

i did gather that there is more than one reason that the ducts make rotor quieter.