If you started again as a beginner - which one?

Curb

Hi really interested in getting a decent beginner quad - I thought I'd dabble while trying to learn to fly my Blade 450 - also had time with an AR Drone for a few days and was looking into the MxQ just as a total starter model - but now I'm hooked so the Blade will be on Ebay later today, with my unbuilt and boxed Trex 500 Efl Pro soon following, and I'm really looking forward to diving in.

The Next Level's are right up there from my extremely limited understanding - but I'm new and flight is the focus right now so these might be more than I need - look great but availability looks none existent in the UK.

The Dji Naza Flame Wheel is around and it look's great for an entry point (any opinions on this?). Quadcopters.co.uk has them but I've never used them so don't know what the support is like from them or how Dji supports buyers - had pretty poor experience s form a few heli suppliers and manufacturers before (Outrage and Thunder Tiger when it came to the Innovator model and Blink Helicopters (awful! Enough make anyone leave the hobby)) so the support part is pretty major for me.

Read about the Dji Naza having a bug which is a little worrying - but don't know enough yet (fly-aways are the reason why I only had an AR Drone for a few days) but really enjoying the learning process.

Looked at so much info / threads and vids on both I've got a bit of brain freeze and general newbness, and after heeding Bartman's sobering sticky, I'd appreciate any advice on which way to go.

Cheers.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi really interested in getting a decent beginner quad - I thought I'd dabble while trying to learn to fly my Blade 450 - also had time with an AR Drone for a few days and was looking into the MxQ just as a total starter model - but now I'm hooked so the Blade will be on Ebay later today, with my unbuilt and boxed Trex 500 Efl Pro soon following, and I'm really looking forward to diving in.

The Next Level's are right up there from my extremely limited understanding - but I'm new and flight is the focus right now so these might be more than I need - look great but availability looks none existent in the UK.

The Dji Naza Flame Wheel is around and it look's great for an entry point (any opinions on this?). Quadcopters.co.uk has them but I've never used them so don't know what the support is like from them or how Dji supports buyers - had pretty poor experience s form a few heli suppliers and manufacturers before (Outrage and Thunder Tiger when it came to the Innovator model and Blink Helicopters (awful! Enough make anyone leave the hobby)) so the support part is pretty major for me.

Read about the Dji Naza having a bug which is a little worrying - but don't know enough yet (fly-aways are the reason why I only had an AR Drone for a few days) but really enjoying the learning process.

Looked at so much info / threads and vids on both I've got a bit of brain freeze and general newbness, and after heeding Bartman's sobering sticky, I'd appreciate any advice on which way to go.

Cheers.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Eh Up Curb. Welcome to MRF. I can vouch for Geoff at Quadcopters.co.uk.... great advice and above all really honest and down to earth type of guy. Believe me in 18 months coming in to this as a total newb to RC I have had my trousers downed so many times.. from both UK and european so called experts..

I have been down so many FC paths but as far as just getting out and flying its got to be the WKM. I dont own a Nazza but have seen Geoff fly his and as far as flight experience goes I dont think there is an entry level FC to beat it if you cannot justify the full WKM..

Trust Geoff.. he is the best there is in the UK if not Europe.. and as far a calling a spade a spade then he is the best out there..

I have experienced most of the other top of the google tree guys... I buy from Geoff.. There is a thread vendor of the year.. go check it out..

Dave

Curb

Hi there Dave - mate, your how I found this forum! I was checking your Youtube vid - extremely impressive, even to a beginner who's still learning the basics.
Thanks for the recommendation for Quadcopter.co.uk - just got a response to general enquiry from Geoff, looks like Quadcopter it is then :tennis: .

Thanks again for the quality advice - researching the WKM now but I think budget wise, 450 Flame Wheel kit will be the only way to go - max I can go is around £700 -800. But hopefully that'll leave me some to then move into video.

Cheers for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanzar

Quadcopters.co.uk, Kopterworx.com, digitech.nl , there are many good suplyers so when. I think moderators should not favoritize dealers by etics code.

Regarding the post Vendor of the year pls dont say that it qualifies as a trustworthy post since there are 20 posts (out of those 20 /10 are the same user) . So next time do the survey with like option and if the post has more than 100 votes then i would say that counts.
This forum has xxxxxx or users and 20 is not that good of a persentage.

I think its all about the money and fast delivery and good support.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Eh Up Lanzer.. thats fine and your opinion. I as a moderator but mainly as a long suffering recipient of the supposed well trusted supplier am also entitled to voice my opinion and experience of two of the suppliers you mention.. both of which I have trusted my well earned sheckles with.. Only one has been there over and over and over to help even when the original kit was bought from else where.

I have not had any dealing with your company... but I believe another Moderator has sung your praises no end...

I think its all about the money and fast delivery and good support.
The only thing I agree with here is GOOD SUPPORT. To many people go for a cheaper option by a few sheckels in the early days only to be let down later on.. To many people are sold stuff they dont need or require for what they really want to do but are talked up.

Everyone on here is entitled to their opinion..

Best Regards

Dave

jforkner

Curb,

I started with quads just after Christmas. I've been very happy with my DJI F450 Naza kit. It included everything I needed except Tx & Rx (which I already had).

Good luck.

Jack

Lanzar

The only thing I agree with here is GOOD SUPPORT. To many people go for a cheaper option by a few sheckels in the early days only to be let down later on.. To many people are sold stuff they dont need or require for what they really want to do but are talked up.
Dave

Totaly agree. Some will sell u stuff cheap just so they sell it and afterwards offer no support. I rather pay some extra $$ and be shure that future suport will be there when i need it.
I see people that will go to the cheapest manufacturer or seller. Or they pay some local guy to soldger and assembles the things for them but when it does not work then they complain or at the end pay 200% of what they would pay if they would buy it arf or rtf.

Naza is simmple and fun to work with, easy to assemble but then u crash in first 5 min and from there on u are in the dark. Some ppl go on google and read on it on multirotor forum, some email. I always like to read on stuff i am buying cause afterall this is a hoby product and many things can go wrong.

Curb

Thank you all for the input - Dji Naza F450 it is - ordering now for delivery by Wednesday. Really looking forward to it. Now, need to try and find some build and setup threads for this model. I've got to admit quite lost regarding setup side at this stage - got limited setup of flybarred heli's but only for hovering and very basic forward flight - and I still need to look up a lot of the terminology you guys use, but hey a challenge and general learning is what keeps things interesting.

mailman35

imho i started with the ardrone, crashed them and realised that they wouldnt do what i needed. so i did alot of research and ended up with the dji f450 artf kit. as well as all the other peices that are needed, soldering iron/stand, heatshrink, radio, etc :p