Struggling to decide best route into aerial photography in the UK

Arlo

Hi everyone,

Just spent the last few days investigating the legality of using multicopters for aerial photography in the UK, and the best route into it. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts about this.

I hold an Airline Transport Pilots License and lapsed Instrument Rating, so have some understanding of the Air Navigation Order, principles of flight, safety, meteorology etc. Previous experience in RC limited to building one helicopter, immediately flown into a barn door, and then buying a bigger one, and using it to plough a field on its first outing. That was about 10 years ago. Now I see the technology has moved on and everything I read suggests that multicopters are now far easier to fly (though I am still planning on getting some training this time around).

Primarily, my interest is recreational. But the more expensive the kit I end up buying, the more I think I ought to try and earn some money back to pay for it.

Anyway, I was told today (by a commercial organisation involved in this field), that ANY flying, anywhere other than on private land is classed as a 'public display', in which case you need either the BNUC or alternatively something about following BFMA display rules and roping off the area, having marshalls etc.

ie. if I was walking along a public footpath in the country, could see that there was noone for miles around, I would still need to be commercially qualified to put the thing in the air and get some aerial shots, either that or something about following BMFA display rules, and having marshalls. When I asked this company about the people I see flying models off the Downs: "all illegal" they said.

So then I ring the BMFA. They tell me that the above is completely untrue, and that one simply needs to follow the ANO and CAP 658, in which I can find no reference to a requirement to fly more than a certain distance from a structure or person, or public spaces. Just the requirement not to be an idiot and endanger anyone. By that line of thinking, you could fly one in a London park, so long as it was at 5:00am in the morning, and there was noone within the immediate vicinity.

So who is right?

And those of you who are using multicopters to indulge a photography habit, how freely do you use your machine? Do you happily put the thing in the air on a countryside public footpath when it is clearly safe to do so. Or do you feel it necessary to get permission from adjacent landowners, hire marshalls, put up 'danger, model aircraft' signs, etc.,

I've been quoted around £4000 for the training for the BNUC flight test + flight test + ground school and exams. Add the cost of the machine and, well, it's a lot of money! I'd rather do it as a aerial photography hobby first, and then decide whether I want to go professional. But if the rules are too restrictive to do aerial photography as a hobby, that rather blows the whole idea out of the sky.

jes1111

I would distrust anyone with a financial interest - sounds like they were trying to scare you into paying their price.

The clear distinction is between leisure/hobby activity and commercial activity. As soon as you are charging for the flight, or the photographic/video output thereof, it's classed as commercial and you'll need all the licences, certificates, rectal examinations, etc.

Arlo

I would distrust anyone with a financial interest - sounds like they were trying to scare you into paying their price.

The clear distinction is between leisure/hobby activity and commercial activity. As soon as you are charging for the flight, or the photographic/video output thereof, it's classed as commercial and you'll need all the licences, certificates, rectal examinations, etc.

Laughed out loud. Yes, I get the distinction between hobby and commercial activity, and the requirement for rectal examinations for the latter. What I am unsure about is how freely these things can be flown by hobbyists. Safety considerations permitting (i.e. nobody in the vicinity), can I pop it down on the village green, ascend to a 50ft, take some pictures and land again?

DennyR

As one who spent more than thirty years in the aerial photography business in the UK before moving to Cyprus. I think that it is already overcrowded with operators who know what they are doing. Finding a market that is not already covered will be hard. A steep learning curve from both sides and the rewards when you get there may not be like the good old days.

Arlo

As one who spent more than thirty years in the aerial photography business in the UK before moving to Cyprus. I think that it is already overcrowded with operators who know what they are doing. Finding a market that is not already covered will be hard. A steep learning curve from both sides and the rewards when you get there may not be like the good old days.
That's kind of what I suspected, though the counter-argument is that multicopters open up a whole new market that didn't exist before eg wildlife footage for tv, architectural stuff etc.

Still, presuming you're right, my original question remains: how much freedom do hobbyists have to use this for aerial photography in public places? If lots, I'd still like to get into it, probably with a cheaper machine, though.

swisser

Refer to sections 166 and 167 of the ANO. They tell you all you need to know.

Technically if you've got a camera on it for taking pictures as opposed to for FPV (whether for commercial use or not) you can't fly within 50m of any vessel, vehicle, structure or person, apart from when landing and taking off when you can't go within 30m.

And you can't fly it for commercial gain, camera or not, without permission from the CAA. So in theory, those guys flying them in the basement of Selfridges are in contravention of the ANO.

Arlo

Refer to sections 166 and 167 of the ANO. They tell you all you need to know.

Technically if you've got a camera on it for taking pictures as opposed to for FPV (whether for commercial use or not) you can't fly within 50m of any vessel, vehicle, structure or person, apart from when landing and taking off when you can't go within 30m.

And you can't fly it for commercial gain, camera or not, without permission from the CAA. So in theory, those guys flying them in the basement of Selfridges are in contravention of the ANO.

Thanks Swisser. Seems both the people/organisations I contacted were wrong. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who is using a multicopter for aerial photography within the rules, to know whether they find that the requirement to stay 50m from structures, people, etc, and 150m from congested areas, actually allows for many interesting photo opportunities.

DennyR

That's kind of what I suspected, though the counter-argument is that multicopters open up a whole new market that didn't exist before eg wildlife footage for tv, architectural stuff etc.

Still, presuming you're right, my original question remains: how much freedom do hobbyists have to use this for aerial photography in public places? If lots, I'd still like to get into it, probably with a cheaper machine, though.

Some of the Cessna operators in the UK have delved into model ops. as another string to the bow. unfortunately most of them did not have the required modeling experience and thought that it would be as simple as acquiring a Mikrocopter and taking it out the next day and using it. It doesn't work like that. at least not yet it doesn't. Expect a long learning curve with many disappointments along the way. Technology is almost there, but not quite at 100% where anyone can operate one.

Bowley

Arlo, Despite all the autonomous functions and 'care free' gadgetry popping up left right and centre, the only body that carries out the BNUC certification states that the flight test (along the lines of the BMFA-A cert) be conducted in manual mode. As Denny points out basic RC flight skill is really a pre-requisite.
Its worth getting a cheap robust heli and knocking it about a bit. You could get a multi but its a temptation to fly in self levelling mode which will only take you so far. In self levelling they feel just like the coaxial heli's. Personally I would recommend getting a small fixed wing foamy first and getting that sussed, it helped me a lot in my learning curve and I couldnt really get the heli thing cracked until I had flown a fixed wing for a while.

Arlo

Expect a long learning curve with many disappointments along the way. Technology is almost there, but not quite at 100% where anyone can operate one.
Yes, I was beginning to think these things are not quite as easy as they look to fly, and was thinking of going on a heli course.

Arlo, Despite all the autonomous functions and 'care free' gadgetry popping up left right and centre, the only body that carries out the BNUC certification states that the flight test (along the lines of the BMFA-A cert) be conducted in manual mode. As Denny points out basic RC flight skill is really a pre-requisite.
Its worth getting a cheap robust heli and knocking it about a bit. You could get a multi but its a temptation to fly in self levelling mode which will only take you so far. In self levelling they feel just like the coaxial heli's. Personally I would recommend getting a small fixed wing foamy first and getting that sussed, it helped me a lot in my learning curve and I couldnt really get the heli thing cracked until I had flown a fixed wing for a while.
Thanks Bowley - sounds like good advice. But given my objective is recreational aerial photography, I'm still not sure whether the 50M / 150M rule severely restricts the amount of recreational photography I could do with one of these things in the UK (in which case, for me, it makes it kind of pointless learning to fly one in the first place).

Anyone using one for AP within the rules in the UK? Do you still find plenty of subjects for interesting photos / footage? Got a gallery anywhere I could see?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

these rules are not hard and fast, if you have permission to fly on someones property, you can pretty much go as close as you want to the subject, same goes for people as long as they are 'under control' of the operator of the system. If it were not this way, there would not be much commercial applicability to UAS.

For recreational use, its all in the BMFA handbook.

swisser

Bowley the ANO applies equally to both commercial and recreational use. There are clauses in the ANO which apply specifically to "aerial work", but the other clauses, including those concerning distance from things, apply to both. The BMFA handbook reiterates those rules. They are absolutely hard and fast (whether anybody chooses to stick with them is another matter of course).

When it comes to aerial photography, regardless of commercial or recreational, the trick, for want of a better term, is that you can fly as close as you want to something (or someone, as you mention) under your control. It might seem like a minor point, but it's nothing to do with the thing being private or having permission. So for example, if you're outside a church and the vicar says "yes, you can fly round my church" technically you need to have it under your control as well. If someone comes up the driveway in their car or wanders in you need to be at least 50m away from them because they're not under your control.

Actually I suspect you know all that, but I wanted to spell out the subtleties of it for the sake of the original question.

Arlo

Bowley the ANO applies equally to both commercial and recreational use. There are clauses in the ANO which apply specifically to "aerial work", but the other clauses, including those concerning distance from things, apply to both. The BMFA handbook reiterates those rules. They are absolutely hard and fast (whether anybody chooses to stick with them is another matter of course).

Swisser, having read the ANO, that was exactly what I was thinking, but you beat me to it!

When it comes to aerial photography, regardless of commercial or recreational, the trick, for want of a better term, is that you can fly as close as you want to something (or someone, as you mention) under your control. It might seem like a minor point, but it's nothing to do with the thing being private or having permission. So for example, if you're outside a church and the vicar says "yes, you can fly round my church" technically you need to have it under your control as well. If someone comes up the driveway in their car or wanders in you need to be at least 50m away from them because they're not under your control.

Actually I suspect you know all that, but I wanted to spell out the subtleties of it for the sake of the original question.

So, back to the original question, which is how widely multicopters can be used for recreational AP in the UK. 150M of a congested area rules out most architecture, except isolated buildings (since, for example, most churches are in a 'congested area'). I'm thinking it's perfectly OK to go out on a public footpath and launch one of these things provided you can see that there is nobody/nothing within an area of 50M, though it would be prudent to make sure you can see further than that, so as to know in advance if someone is about to enter the area. Following the same rules, I can obviously use it on private land.

Bearing all this in mind, I'm thinking this would be good for aerial landscapes, and there is probably quite a lot of scope for photography of the countryside and wildlife. But architecture and anything urban is more or less out unless you go for the BNUC + CAA premissions.

If that's a reasonable interpretation, I think it probably gives enough scope for a decent hobby. So I'm back to bowley's advice: get proficient on a cheap plane, graduate to a heli, and then to the multi...

Arlo

Cut out the initial steps by getting a flight sim, save a fortune in the process ;)

I've got a Phoenix flight sim, and just loaded a gaui 330 onto it. 10 minutes later, and managed to take off, fly around, return and more or less land on the target. I'm not saying the real thing is as easy as this, and I didn't have any wind dialled in, but I've never got that far with a heli or plane on the sim!

I wonder how important it is to learn to fly a plane/heli before a multi, and whether you think that if I get to a point where I can fly the multi accurately in a howling gale on the sim, whether that will translate into immediate proficiency on the real thing.

Macsgrafs

I've got a Phoenix flight sim, and just loaded a gaui 330 onto it. 10 minutes later, and managed to take off, fly around, return and more or less land on the target. I'm not saying the real thing is as easy as this, and I didn't have any wind dialled in, but I've never got that far with a heli or plane on the sim!

I wonder how important it is to learn to fly a plane/heli before a multi, and whether you think that if I get to a point where I can fly the multi accurately in a howling gale on the sim, whether that will translate into immediate proficiency on the real thing.

MR are so different to anything else you can fly. More like a heli than a fixed wing aircraft. For starters they are self levelling or should I say..supposed to be ;)
Learn to fly a 600 or 700 size heli on the sim, learn to auto (not that you can auto a MR ;) ) not also is this fun, but it teaches you co-ordinated turns..make sure the heli is operating in heading hold mode gyro & not rate mode for this.

Ross

Bowley

Learning to fly a plane/heli will stand you in good stead for flying a multi, theres not too much difference in flying a multi in manual and a heli, except that the yawing is real slow on a multi. the fixed wing thing is just a suggestion based on the fact that it helped me a lot moving on from hovering to fast forward flight and gave me a lot of confidence, it reinforced my orientation. The advantage in learning with heli's is that it broadens your choice of camera ships, you may want to go on to use a single rotor machine like Ross and many others on the forum.
It was also a hell of a lot of fun.

Steve

hugh4g

Hello All,

I've been lurking on the sidelines for a few months. I first started looking into this when in the space of a week I'd had three clients ask if I could 'do' aerial photography.

In the last few months the developments have been considerable. I've no interest in soldering, don't mind basic assembly, so am waiting for the DJI 550 with gimbal.... This seems to me to be a good starting point... good enough to prove capability to existing clients and carry a decent point'n'squirt camera.

to start with...I brought a small coax heli which spends quite a lot of time throwing itself at anything it can find... gradually taming it... hopefully in time to not wreck my multi when I get it...

Best

Hugh

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
To get into this game professionally takes time patience and more cash than you ever suspected. Watch this space. Soon I am hoping for a professional body/organisation to pull it all together. I have a plan.. we need to be organised and focused but most of all united professionally to have creditability and a voice in the CAA. Yes and this means shelling out the wedge to get your bnuc-s as its the ONLY way professionally to get permission to fly.

There are so many talented people on here in the UK. A single voice and organisation to provide a professional service nation wide is being begged for. I dont know which way to turn right now for the work that IS available to a fully accredited, professional organisation.. EVERYONE INTERESTED in joining me in the UK please PM me to register an interest with your personal details like email and phone number. I AM ALL ABOUT PROFESSIONALISM its what counts and makes you stand above the rest..

I was not going to do anything about this for a couple of months but I feel things are moving forward so quickly it needs to be done and done NOW.

Dave