Planned Skyjib8 Build Specs

Vortex

I am planning to build a SJ8 and have been doing a lot of researching (time wasted on the computer going round and round in circles) and have come up with what appears to me to be a suitable list of components to fit out the airframe and get it flying. I am going to worry about the FPV components and camera mount when I get this part of it sorted.

I have listed the parts I have come up with and would like to hear any constructive criticisms if there appears I have misjudged something or could have made a better choice.

Thanks,

Lance

Droidworx SJ8
AXI 4120/20 Motors running on 6S
Props 14x7
Hercules II Octo + FC
MK Navi Ctrl v2.1 ME
MK GPS

Macsgrafs

Sounds great to me Lance, I have tje same ship, different motors & might be downgrading the motors as they drink battery power very quickly (current motors are Emax GT 2820/06 running on 4S. I carry 4 x 4000ma nano techs per flight!!!

Ross

Vortex

Thanks Ross.....What run times are you getting with 16000mah onboard and what props are you running??

Macsgrafs

Yesterday was only the 2nd time I've flown her & I ran the lipos down to 38/40% ish...that was 6 mins & running 12 x 6 props (apce)

Ross

Macsgrafs

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 317

Vortex

Thanks Ross.....You seem to have it pretty much sorted.....Can't wait to start working on mine!!!

Regards,

Lance

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Eh Up Lance keep us posted on how you go on..

@Ross brave flight over water for your second run!

Dave

Macsgrafs

Eh Up Lance keep us posted on how you go on..

@Ross brave flight over water for your second run!

Dave

Dave, Im not the full ticket ;) ;)
My first ever flight with an RC 6ch heli & camera was over the sea...I am surrounded by the water down here, so I jump in at the deep end (excuse pun). I did fly the octo over a Exmoor stream in these shots...the water is only 3ft deep at the max, wade-able so to speak ;)

Ross

Vortex

Hey Ross, I'm working on battery options at the moment. I have decided to go with a 6S setup and can split the packs into 2 x pair of 3S packs..........Thinking about your set up with 4S and 4 packs .......I'm guessing you're running all 4 packs in parallel, how do you get on when you charge/balance them??

I plan to run 4 x 3S 8400 40C packs...That way I can balance them and they should discharge a bit more evenly.........What do you think??

Thanks,

Lance

Macsgrafs

Hey Ross, I'm working on battery options at the moment. I have decided to go with a 6S setup and can split the packs into 2 x pair of 3S packs..........Thinking about your set up with 4S and 4 packs .......I'm guessing you're running all 4 packs in parallel, how do you get on when you charge/balance them??

I plan to run 4 x 3S 8400 40C packs...That way I can balance them and they should discharge a bit more evenly.........What do you think??

Thanks,

Lance

Hi Lance,

I'm with you on the 6S packs, I did think that route & split them into 4S packs...3 from 2 jobbie (buy 2 get 1 free ;) ). Yes all my 4 packs are in parallel, giving me 4S at 16A!!! (1C) or in our terms (35-70C packs)...560A - 1120A. To balance I charge one pack at a time using an hyperion charger...720i or summit like that & as long as they are 99% or 100% charged & the voltage difference isnt more than 0.01v per cell, I just sling them all on.

So you will be 4 x 8.4A = 33.6A ....1344A total...that's some serious grunt ;) ;)

Ross

Vortex

I bit the bullet and have ordered all the parts I listed in the original post plus a couple of extras. I had a difficult time trying to get 14 x 7 props so I ended up with a set of X-oar 15 x 5....These should be a good starting point and have a PF of 75 versus 98 for the 14 x 7

I ordered 4 Nanotech 3S 8400Mah 40C packs to feed the beast and the 8 AXI motors!!!

Next task is to research camera mounts and a suitable FPV system......

Lance

Vortex

Hey Graham.......It'll be good to compare results as we both work through testing and setting up these bad boys :)

Regards,

Lance

Vortex

A big box of bits arrived from Droidworx today followed by a box of motors........Time to start screwing the airframe together :)