Do your motors do this?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Since i have had my Avrotos i have made an observation that perplexes me. When the unit is cold nor had power applied in the last hour or so the motors feel free. If you flick a prop they turn somewhat normally/freely. BUT, when I have had a power applied to them for even 30 seconds they become very tight. Not mechanically tight but more like electrical resistance. So tonight when I plugged the battery in to power the MC i noticed that the motors still have that same resistant feel to them. Is it possible that a charge is stored in the ESC's that cause some sort of electrical braking? It's really odd that just a second of plugin in the battery and not even running the motors will do this.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I dont no much about esc's but is sounds like maybe the brake feature is enabled. you will need to disable that function.

Dave

DennyR

It's for sure the brake unless you are shorting the phases somewhere. Did you by chance ever clean the esc's with contact spay. I know that MK sells this stuff. It leaves an almost invisible film that is conductive and will kill your boards.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Is it the brake if this occurs with the battery disconnected? I can see how a brake would work under power but how on earth would it do this with no power applied? I'll check again on the program card.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Well I'll be damned! I plugged in the battery and then instantly unplugged it. the motors are still harder to turn. So I un hooked the motor leads one by one and VOILA the motor became easy to turn again. So weird that the capacitors can hold enough to keep them stiff for a good 10-20 minutes or so. I was sure the brake was off on the programming card.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
Ever since I switched to Maytech my AVRotos break when I disconnect power. The break is off in the firmware of the ESC's and it does not break when the power is on and throttle is zero. If I disconnect my motors from the ESC's they no longer break. I havent noticed if the brake eventually stops after time, I'd think it would.

To make sure it was the break i enabled the break on one of my ESC's an then put it on zero throttle with battery and it was the same resistance feeling when I would disconnect the battery.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
thats great to know. Thanks! I was about to reprogram all my esc. I know they brake is off because i can see the jumper positions on my card. And it flies fine the way it is, but like you said when I disconnect the battery they tighten up a bit.

I have to say I am intimidated by doing the manual switch from 8 to 16 khz. Seems like a real beep fest.

matwelli

With esc's. - unpowered, if you turn the motor, it generates a small voltage, that voltage can leak thru the the power transistors (fets or mosfets) and cause them to turn on, causing brake effect, with no battery required