Accident reporting thread

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thought this was a good idea.. make this a sticky at the top of the forum so everyone can go check out peoples crashes and why they happened..
Dave

(got idea from MK!)

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ok so I will start it off.. broke two Graupner props on Saturday night while flying quad in garage coz it was blowing a gale outside...

REASON - boredom and beer!

DONT DRINK AND FLY! EVER!

Kilby

So far I've only had two "accidents", and both were due to the same thing... loose prop nuts. Such a simple thing, but something that will turn your craft into a rock in no time. No a part of my checklist.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ok, sounds like fun! I'll even include video with some of my better ones...

Here we have a fine winter day for FPV flying, it turned out to be a short day at the field...

Another less than successful FPV flight from exactly 1 year ago today, you can fast forward to 1:20 to avoid the boring part...

Yet more FPV fun, I see a trend here...

And still more! By the way, all of these were with a Hoverfly Pro flight controller and not a single crash was pilot error in case you ever wonder why I don't like H/F boards...

Enough for now, I'll see what else I've got stashed away on my hard drive to amuse everyone with!

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

Efliernz

Pete
Did you find the reason the HFP boards didn't work for you? Crashing is one thing but working through looking and finding the cause (and learning from it) is what this thread is about :)

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Did you find the reason the HFP boards didn't work for you? Crashing is one thing but working through looking and finding the cause (and learning from it) is what this thread is about :)

Yes, I did. At the time I didn't know enough to not be one of the first to buy a brand new, never been tested by the public, flight controller. Never again will I pay to be a beta tester, lesson learned, now I'll wait for others to find out if it works or not before I take the plunge. Two big problems, firmware glitches and power filtering problems on the board, that's the root cause of every one of the crashes, one of them happened as soon as I flipped the switch for autolevel.

Same thing happened about 3 months ago or so when I built the first incarnation of my Y6 after a release of firmware that supposedly had permanently fixed that problem and I was gullible enough to put the board on it and expect it to fly without problems. That was the end of the line for the H/F Pro and I, it now resides in its shipping box on a shelf where it will stay.

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Speaking of the Y6, here's a little clip shot from the GoPro point of view on one of its first flights with the WKM controller. As other early WKM adopters will recall they didn't have an arm/disarm function at first so some of us used throttle hold on the TX to make sure the motors couldn't accidentally spin up after connecting the battery. This is what happens when you accidentally hit that same throttle hold switch while in flight...

Broke a couple props bent all three arms and twisted the heck out of the new AV130 and crunched one of the Droidworx landing gear plates. Fortunately the 130 was easily put back to straightness using my former autobody metalworking skills and the rest of it was just parts replacement. I still use the throttle hold switch but I'm much more aware of it and make sure to keep my fingers far away from it while in the air.

Ken

Efliernz

Pete
Sounds like "beta testing" for another brand now ;)

Sorry... just playing. I look at all the boards I have in the shed and everyone had problems... all part of the game.

Pete

thepelell

apart from initial crashes from inexperience i had a bad month in august with my first x8 config:

lost a prop in flight because of stupid bullet style prop nut:

same reason , day after:

last time i crashed it was my fault, went higher than usual, descended too quickly and didn't give enough forward movement so i entered wobble of death mode 30ft up and had no control... landed on neighbour's plant, completely crushing it, but saving my copter that only suffered a bent alu landing gear :)

What do you people think of someone that flies a quad on a hover time trial on a craft fully booted with two nano 500mah batts, landed it OK about 3 metres away from where it took off but did not dis-arm. As probably only I can , I switched off the transmitter at which point the craft's motors throttled up raising it about 1 metre before it flipped allowing it to descend upside down rapidly and entwining one of the propellors into a towelling rag laying close by. The motor ripped itself free from its mounting and so destroyed the propellor and one ali boom and motor mount. This 2-3 seconds of stupidity has cost me £55 to replace the prop., boom and mount + £25 for p&P and international delivery. I'm more than a little peeved.

Efliernz

Pete
I was flying my diy 850mm (m-to-m) hex on an alitimeter test. At 217' (indicated), one of my world-class solder joints (I don't use connectors) gave way on the "4 o'clock" motor. It tilted to the right and down it came. I reduced power in case it flipped. It decended rapidly sideways and at 20', I gave it a squirt of power to slow it further.

Damage: front and rear 12mm sq ali arms bent upwards 15 degrees (straightened by bending over knee) and one prop snapped.
The hex has now flown 7 hours and has been a test-bed for different camera, mounts, fpv and FC boards. The parts for the new machine arrive today, to be built from what I have learnt (including soldering in a hurry) but the old machine has a commercial photoshoot indoors in a new factory this afternoon first :).

Pete

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Reason magnetic trees!

Obviously I don`t normally leave the wife lugging the aquaroll:)

Made a nice mess of my bonnet(hood) to!:black_eyed:

Damage: broken motor mount.:black_eyed:

Jake Bullit, i've mentioned in other threads that 'stray' magnetics can cause all sorts of unforseen and unwanted problems. (this is supposed to be my attempt at humour by the way, just in case people think I may have lost it).