Mikrokopter 0.86 PH Issue

crcr

I finally did the upgrade to the new firmware today. The upgrade went well and did 2 short 5min flights and everything seemed great.
Now everytime I put it into PH, after about 2 seconds it takes off in some random direction very voilently. Scared the crap out of me the first time. I have to switch GPS off and fly manually.
I have tried calibrating and flying in different areas with the same out come.

Also did a short mag test running the motors up to hover position, all seems ok I think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_F6UcHC7P0

Does anyone know what may be causing this issue, bad compass maybe??

Do you need to redo the ACC calibration after doing the upgrade? This was one thing I didn't do.

Thanks,
Craig

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
craig,
did you ever happen to find anything that caused this?
thanks,
bart

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I finally did the upgrade to the new firmware today. The upgrade went well and did 2 short 5min flights and everything seemed great.
Now everytime I put it into PH, after about 2 seconds it takes off in some random direction very voilently. ... Do you need to redo the ACC calibration after doing the upgrade? This was one thing I didn't do.

Horizontal setting (Throttle stick Up and Right) AND compass calibration MUST be done after a firmware update. Also a good habit to manually set all parameters - or at the very least verify. Upgrading from .82 to .86 will not actually require it because most of the changes are enhancements to existing features (except for the hotly debated, unresolved, denied by MK, BL overheating issue) but major firmware updates sometimes will not permit previous saved configurations to be used.

Having said that, if you are one of the 98% who is content with 'Beginner / Easy' configs then there is not much to do except verify the channel assignment, receiver type and motor layout and look for new checkboxes for the new features.

I went back to .82 after updating to .86 - mainly because of the sudden increase in BL temps - but reverted back again to .86 for the improved dynamic GPS. The easiest way to counter the heat thing is to take the dome off, or carry a lighter camera.

crcr

craig,
did you ever happen to find anything that caused this?
thanks,
bart

Hi Bart,

Yep I think I've finally got it sorted but has taken a LOT of testing and trial and error. I added some copper clad PCB board between the FC and Navi but found the biggest improvement came when I added another copper clad board between the bottom plate and FC. This seemed to do the trick for a while (few flights) then it started doing it again, by this time I was really pulling my hair out. Anway I decided the only thing left was to replace the GPS...Bingo, this seemed to fix the issue. I did trial taking the copper clad boards out one at a time but it was never as stable so have left them there. So as it turns out it was a combination of EMI and dodgy GPS.

Cheers,
Craig

Hi Bart,

Yep I think I've finally got it sorted but has taken a LOT of testing and trial and error. I added some copper clad PCB board between the FC and Navi but found the biggest improvement came when I added another copper clad board between the bottom plate and FC. This seemed to do the trick for a while (few flights) then it started doing it again, by this time I was really pulling my hair out. Anway I decided the only thing left was to replace the GPS...Bingo, this seemed to fix the issue. I did trial taking the copper clad boards out one at a time but it was never as stable so have left them there. So as it turns out it was a combination of EMI and dodgy GPS.

Cheers,
Craig

I am a total newbie to multi-rotors and as you'll see in a second, I am no electric engineer either... so please bear with me here... I do understand how the copper clad PCB board that can help, but do I need a 2-sided PCB board or one sided? Will a 2-sided board not cause a short? Would you mind posting a picture of how you installed the boards and where you installed them please for the less electrically-fortunate folks like me please? :) Thanks in advance!

crcr

Sorry for that delay.

You can see I have a big board under the FC and also one between the FC and Navi. The bottom one probably doesn't need to be that big but when I was testing I wanted the biggest I could fit under the cap, then just left it there.

Cheers,
Craig

View attachment 2698

Attachments

• IMG_7187resized.jpg
    IMG_7187resized.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 293
Last edited by a moderator:

FOX222

The problem with the magnetometer (compass) on the navi board is due to electromagnetic field not emi/rfi. This em field is usually caused by long and looped power leads feeding the esc's and battery. The best way to fight emf in our application is to not create them to start with. One way to do this is to get rid of as much power wiring as possible.
The copper clad board is totally transparent to emf and would be better used as a power distribution board. By using a double sided copper clad board and making the top side negative and the bottom positive you can do away with a lot of looped wires that generate emf. Then you could cut your power wires on your esc's as short as possible and solder them to the power board at each arm of your frame so as to feed out to the motors. This will eliminate a large part of the emf radiation and negate the need for a shield.
You might want to read some of the articles on the wed about magnet shielding. The only way to help block a magnetic field is to reroute the field by using a material with high magnetic permeability. This is a good read for understanding the basics of redirecting the magnetic field. http://www.physlink.com/education/askexperts/ae512.cfm but all this is pointless if you don't create the emf to start with.

John

crcr

Thanks John, thanks for the info and I will have a read of that link.

My power wires feeding my ESC's are already very short and I did a lot of trial and error with different cables placement etc which is detailed more in this thread http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?1360-MK-power-distribution-board/page2 the only thing with any length is the motor wires through the arms, maybe this is the issue?
But I do quite like the idea of using the copper clad board as a power distribution board and will try this in my next build. The reason I choose to use deans connectors is so they can be easily replaced if needed.
If you care to read the other thread some time I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
Craig

anaka

Hi peolple, I start to follow the forum by some months only but have a MK 8engine by 2 years.

Yesterday I experienced some strange behavior in the flight, the drone after a wile starts to turn on it's vertical axis, some times acellerating engines by him self some times loosing power and going close to ground, never had a crash but was scared several times

at the same time i did a try to use the Height Lock abd after some seconds I acrivated it I experienced a drastic fall down, it stopped by him self at 1 meter from ground....you can imagine how scared I was

I have to say that yesterday was a bit windy day, but this shouldn't be a problem for MK, at least never was until now, and that I installed recently the latest firmware, the 86

I had other thimes these issues after to install the build #86, now that I see that also other people had problems with it I start to think that could be this build the problem

did someone experienced the same issues?!?