Gimbal Will Not Tune? Suggestions

PCMAerial

Can't tune this gimbal? Suggestions

The real name of this thread should read "I Can't Tune This" anyways

Trying to tune this DYS 2 axis gimbal. Following every manual, thread, and post I can find for a few weeks. Nothings working

-DYS 2 axis
-Simple BGC 2.2 Control Board

Everything is installed and powered. Gimbal is balanced as far as I can tell. Yet I CANNOT get the settings dialed in to keep this thing level when powered on. Most of the time as soon as I connect power to the BGC it starts a high frequency noise, and the gimbal starts twitching all over erratically

Am I calibrating incorrectly by pressing the "CALIB_ACC" and "CALIB_GyRO" and then waiting? IS that the correct calibration? Mine never says it has fully calibrated but wondering if that happens at all

Tried adjusting settings, restore to default, and more power to motors but I'm obviously doing something wrong here. Anyone know any tips or tricks I can check out? Below I've attached my GUI settings. And I can also upload a video if needed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-08-02 at 4.03.41 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-02 at 4.03.41 PM.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 390
Last edited by a moderator:

dazzab

Do you have the IMU Sensor mounted facing up with the arrow on the sensor pointing forward? Twitching is often time caused by the sensor position not being defined properly. Sensor Axis Top and Right X means the sensor is mounted facing up and the arrow forward. Can you provide a photo of the sensor? What type of camera are you mounting? Your power settings are very low. You'll probably need up to 200 for a DSLR on both Roll and Pitch Motor Configuration. The P on the Roll and Pitch might be high as well.

PCMAerial

Do you have the IMU Sensor mounted facing up with the arrow on the sensor pointing forward? Twitching is often time caused by the sensor position not being defined properly. Sensor Axis Top and Right X means the sensor is mounted facing up and the arrow forward. Can you provide a photo of the sensor? What type of camera are you mounting? Your power settings are very low. You'll probably need up to 200 for a DSLR on both Roll and Pitch Motor Configuration. The P on the Roll and Pitch might be high as well.

I'm having a hard time finding an appropriate position to have the arrow point forward. It just keeps moving, but I'm working on it. I'm about to take a photo. I'm on a basic setup just a Nex5 w/16mm lens.

Currently my roll and pitch seems to be backwards although I hooked them up correctly. Earlier today I could see each moving, now they are reversed?

The red/blue compass just spins in a circle And now I'm seeing (5) I2C errors
Below is my current setup, picture of sensor on the way. Thanks also for the insight!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-08-02 at 6.44.32 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-02 at 6.44.32 PM.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 334
  • Screen shot 2014-08-02 at 6.47.52 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-02 at 6.47.52 PM.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 216

PCMAerial

Here is the sensor position:

attachment.php

When I hook up my battery (3s 450mAH lipo) the gimbal shakes and twitches. Compass spins around, so I must have something installed incorrectly

Running on the 2.2GUI

Attachments

• photo(25).JPG
    photo(25).JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 252

SoCal Blur

To fix the high frequency noise, go to the "Advanced" tab and change the PWM Frequency to "High"

When I first set up my gimbal I had similar issues. I spent hours and finally discovered that I had plugged in the axis from the controller board to the wrong motors. As soon as I corrected that issue, the rest became simple. You might want to check that.

dazzab

Look at the three dials in the GUI. If they don't move the correct direction then the IMU setting is wrong. I suspect you need -Z. Anyway have a play with it until the three gauges move the correct direction. You have to press Save each time you change the setting. But until those three gauges show the correct direction it's not going to work.

PCMAerial

Look at the three dials in the GUI. If they don't move the correct direction then the IMU setting is wrong. I suspect you need -Z. Anyway have a play with it until the three gauges move the correct direction. You have to press Save each time you change the setting. But until those three gauges show the correct direction it's not going to work.

My assumption is that my IMU settings are definitely wrong. I've been turning and positioning the IMU all night looking for a solid location and direction to attach it to my gimbal. The arrows just keep spinning around. Currently nothing. Got to be doing something wrong with the IMU here. And probably my GUI settings

PCMAerial

Here is a video of what happens when I connect my battery to the gimbal. Working on tuning it all day to figure this out. Anyone have familiar issues?

PCMAerial

To fix the high frequency noise, go to the "Advanced" tab and change the PWM Frequency to "High"

When I first set up my gimbal I had similar issues. I spent hours and finally discovered that I had plugged in the axis from the controller board to the wrong motors. As soon as I corrected that issue, the rest became simple. You might want to check that.

Thank you for the insight!! Finally got that noise off. As far as my motors they seem to be connected to the right axis. I just can't get these PID/IMU settings to level out for the life of me. Hoping to figure out how to get this thing tuned sometime lol

SoCal Blur

Here's what I'm using (powering with a 3S battery):

Roll = P 23; I 0.2; D 20 Power 170

Pitch = P 22; I 0.17; D19 Power 120

Limit Accelerations (checked)

Advanced Tab: Gyro Trust = 30; Gyro High Sensitivity (Checked)

dazzab

Here is a video of what happens when I connect my battery to the gimbal. Working on tuning it all day to figure this out. Anyone have familiar issues?
I think you should turn down the PID setting to 0 to see if the twitching stops. If so, then it's just a case of the PIDs being too high. You might want to set the motor power low as well and then turn it up slowly.

PCMAerial

Thanks @dazzab and [MENTION=12826]SoCal Blur[/MENTION]

I FINALLY got the PID settings (somewhat) stable when I power on the gimbal. Worked on it all night and took it out for a test flight today. Gimbal functioned, but now my hexacopter has a HORRIBLE shake and vibration. So bad I could not fly and immediately landed. Would this mean the gimbal is too heavy? I accelerated off the ground fairly easy, seemed to have enough thrust. Yet as soon as I was at a 5ft hover the craft was vibrating and shaking all over. HMMM always something..