motors causing magnetic interference?

Hello!

so recently we put together a gryphon X8 1000mm non foldable frame to carry our Red epic and we have been having a reoccurring issue.

setup:

Gryphon X8 1000mm non foldable
DJI A2
U-power u7 420 kv motors
T-motor t80a esc
T-motor 17x5.8 props
Gryphon PDB
pulse 6s 10,000 mah batteries

right now we have been doing weight tests with our rig and have had the Movi/red on a few times. but 3 different times now after putting on consecutive good flights in the same area, out of no where the gryphon would start pulling hard in different directions trying to crash itself. all three times we have been able to get it on the ground but it tipped over once it got to the ground. if i didnt fight it in flight it would probably dart off quite quickly and tried to crash.

we assumed we had a bad A2 so we swapped it out with a working wookong. once we went back out to test fly it, as soon as we got it in the air it would do the toilet bowl effect in about a 15 foot circle. (the imu is mounted perfectly straight and the compass is oriented correctly to the magnetic inclination in our region, about 11°) the imu is mounted and measured to the CG properly and same with the compass.

as soon as we landed we got the yellow and green flashing lights indicating abnormal compass data. we did the calibration dance and had the same outcome. we had one more working wookong that we put on there and as soon as we installed it and turned it on we had the same issue.

we went back to the office and grabbed our trifield meter that can measure magnetic fields and noticed it going off the charts, when we turned the multirotor on and just had the motors initialize. if we moved the meter away a little at a time it would become less and less. almost needed to be about 650mm away for the motor the magnetic fields drop significantly.

The other interesting event is that when the unit with the Wookong is placed vertically 45 degress or more up to 90 degrees, the yellow and green alternating led codes go away and the searching for gps initiates.

Upon further testing, we found that placing a strong magnet around the compass now produces a green continuous flashing light and sometimes a quick two blue blinks then pause then quick two blinks then pause which then repeats. Then sometimes just the yellow and green alternating leds.

so my question is, can these motors be giving us magnetic interference. i dont know what the FC can handle and not even positive the meter we have is a real way of testing this because those numbers might even be irrelevant.

if anyone could let me know what you guys think that would be awesome

roryhinds

What firmware where you running on the A2?

I've been having the same issue with the "pulling hard in different directions and crashing". It flies fine for a period then suddenly goes crazy and crashes.
I've tried it with U7's and 3520/11 motors... both with 15x5 props and have tried MayTech 40Amp ESC as well as Tiger 60Amp Pros on the U7's.
All this is on a SkyJib 8 frame (Flat 8 not Coaxial)
I've had the same issues on A2 firmware 2.1 and 2.3.
In 2.1 when I update the GPS Module it updates fine but then lists the version as 0.4. I've tried updating on PC & Mac and get the same results.
On A2 firmware 2.3 it updates fine and reports the correct 2.2 in the list for the GPS Module.