Should I Build Another

Avenger

I've just completed my first build and I'm pretty delighted so far, I built a dji F550 with Naza M Lite + GPS, Ar8000rx, Spektrum RX7s tx, Fat Shark FPV Go Pro 3+ Black, FeiYa Tech 2 Axis Gimbal, FPV Skids.

I've watched a million videos during my build and many of them have advised buying spares ready for the day when my 550 fails and I'll have the parts at hand ready to repair immediately. The thing is I've taken this advice too far and I now have most of the components to build a second F550.

6 x arms, 4 x ESCs, 4 Motors (2 x ccw motors, 2 x cw motors), 6 self tightening propellers, top & bottom PCB centre plates, landing skids, 2 Axis Gimbal. I have all the tools, heat shrink, cable ties, screws, velcro, wires etc

i made mistakes with my first build and know I could do a better job with a second craft even though my first flies perfectly. I know there's some expensive gear to buy still but I'm a long way down the Rd of expenditure already.

if I build a second craft I could sell it and help fund more equipment for the one I keep.

what would members here suggest

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It seems that if you have enough part to build a new one, while still retaining the extras you may need (which is why you got them to begin with), then have at it.

tstrike

pendejo grande
I'd start by flying the ever lovin piss outta the first one. A good crash could probably suck up all those extra parts in one fell swoop!

gtranquilla

RadioActive
If you are depending upon online purchasing and shipping c/w significant waiting before parts arrive, it might be good to start buying parts earlier then later as the flying season can often end before you are ready to fly again after a crash.

I've just completed my first build and I'm pretty delighted so far, I built a dji F550 with Naza M Lite + GPS, Ar8000rx, Spektrum RX7s tx, Fat Shark FPV Go Pro 3+ Black, FeiYa Tech 2 Axis Gimbal, FPV Skids.

I've watched a million videos during my build and many of them have advised buying spares ready for the day when my 550 fails and I'll have the parts at hand ready to repair immediately. The thing is I've taken this advice too far and I now have most of the components to build a second F550.

6 x arms, 4 x ESCs, 4 Motors (2 x ccw motors, 2 x cw motors), 6 self tightening propellers, top & bottom PCB centre plates, landing skids, 2 Axis Gimbal. I have all the tools, heat shrink, cable ties, screws, velcro, wires etc

i made mistakes with my first build and know I could do a better job with a second craft even though my first flies perfectly. I know there's some expensive gear to buy still but I'm a long way down the Rd of expenditure already.

if I build a second craft I could sell it and help fund more equipment for the one I keep.

what would members here suggest

cootertwo

Ahhh, to have that problem.... Sitting here at my puter desk, I can count 8 quads without turning my head, 5 more behind me on the kitchen counter, all flyable. (Yes I'm single and love it)! I'm just OCD'n away! "Quadaholic"

AR Drone
2 Phantoms
T550p
550 hex
1 Gaui 350X (3 more in box)
2 QAV 250's
Flip
HK 250
2 mini-mini's
Boxes of motors/speed controllers/props/MC's, Cameras, Transmitters, Video Transmitters, Antennas, Fat Shark Goggles, SkyZone goggles, Batteries, Chargers, Power meters, on and on into the night....................

Flydigital

I agree tstrike, you should start flying number 1 and see how many spares you have soon. For me it's been lots of legs and a damaged gimbal. No props or arms on the 550 gone yet. I have spares for most of it but not the arms. The arms look pretty solid but I'm thinking I may need to get a pair to be safe.

Avenger

I think I'll take tstrikes advice, theres no rush although I am feeling the OCD regards warming up the soldering iron and screwing some bits together.

Dewster

I've had two costly crashes. One was due to poorly designed carbon fiber prop that snapped shortly after take off. My flat hexa couldn't recover from the loss of one prop. This was before DJI's firmware update to compensate for the loss of a prop. The other was when I pushed my Y6 too far while seeking better flight times. The lipo batteries experienced sudden death and could not supply enough current to keep my craft in the air. Will I build again? Yes. I just want to find a light frame that will protect the flight components and increase flight time in the air.