This scared the hell out of me , Could this have to do with fly away?

38super

Hi all
I have a standard F550 with go pro and dji gimbal. I was always impressed how stable this hex is. Today I finally got around to installing a FPV set up.
I chose the TS832 transmitter and RC832 receiver. Transmission was looking good when I took off. Started to climb to about 200 feet looking at the video. This is being shot through the go pro and gimbal setup. After a min. I looked up and the hex was doing the toilet effect big time . I just calibrated the system so I was 90% sure that was not the problem.
Started to make bigger and bigger circles. started to get the feeling it was losing control . Brought it down immediately. I recalibrate and sent it up again watching it climb .When it topped off at 200 feet did the same thing ,brought it down . I then disengaged the power to the transmitter and sent it back up at 200 feet.... it was rock steady.
The ts832 is 5.8g My radio is a Spectrum 9 ...I think at 2.8g. . The antenna is a clover leaf and is under the bottom plate as far as I can get from the GPS. I really felt if I had not acted
fast it would have made like Elvis and left the building. Any ideas on this
Thanks ...William

38super

Thanks Chris that's a good explanation of this effect. But to my understanding if you calibrate the proper way i.e. not metal near you no over head wires not even a watch you should be good to go not to mention arrow on antenna facing right direction
My question is why did it become rock steady after I disconnected the transmitter . I am thinking of trying a low pass filter see if it makes a difference
Thanks Will

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Sometimes the Naza's just need to be restarted to get them to lock in properly.

Pete

ChrisViperM

Chris, did you make that video. It is freaking awesome!

Short answer: No, I can't take the credit for that......but it helped me to get rid of my similar problems. I still have a WooKong M and a Naza v2 (although trying to get away from DJI products) and always had troubles with toilet bowl, attempted flyaways ansd similar problems....but not always, and that's the annoying thing about it.....you never know why and when it will hit you.

Moving from Austria to South Africa didn't make things easier, so I started to investigate...

In this document (http://www.ianwood.com/docs/dji-phantom-2-magnetic-declination.pdf) the effect of declination is documented (it's for DJI Phantom, but it counts for all DJI FC's). Apperantely the calculation of MagDec is done by some routine in the Flight Controller software, but it seems this is not always working, and maybe the video transmitter is having an influence on that....just try to find the magnetic declination for your location, move your compass accordingly and try out if your video Tx is still interfering.....
If so, start to move the Tx to a different location.

Here is another video (not by me) about this phaenomen:

Links for Magnetic Declination:

http://magnetic-declination.com/
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/#declination

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCal Blur

The OP has a valid question and although that is an excellent video, the wrong magnetic declination set doesn't explain the behavior. The facts:

1) No FPV transmiter, - Rock Solid
2) FPV transmitter on - toilet bowl effect
3) FPV transmitter disabled - Rock Solid

Although 5.8 GHZ shouldn't cause a problem for the 2.4 GHZ RX (and wouldn't cause this behavior even if it did), it appears that the FPV transmitter is creating a magnetic field that is interfering with the compass of the NAZA. It is throwing the compass off far enough that it "acts" like the magnetic declination has been incorrectly set.

If you have an android phone, there are some apps (such as Max Magnetic Field Detector) that you can download where you can use the phone's ability to detect magnetic fields. If I were in your situation, I would use one of those apps to confirm that the FPV transmitter is generating a strong magnetic field and then try different things to "shield" the transmitter. Perhaps some copper foil covering the FPV transmitter?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You can also put some copper tape beneath the GPS puck. I never had any issues that I know of, but there have been many mentions of this helping interference issues - so I did it just to be safe.