What LiPo Battery Do I Use??

genesc

I am building a DJI F-450 Quad and now I need to order a battery or batteries. Can you guys suggest the best option for a battery or batteries
for a 8-10 minute flight.
I realize wt changes flight time but this build is bare minimum build, using a KK 2 board and X8R reciever. No camera or landing gear.

Thank you
Gene

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If you are using the stock DJI power system, they are rated for either 3S or 4S batteries only, and suggest a 30C rating. So you have you choices within those cell counts. Depending on weight, you could probably get 3xxx-5xxx mah size. If you don't plan on ever increasing payload - 3S weight savings might be best. If you think you may move to more payload, or on to bigger MRs later, 4S would likely be a more solid investment.

If you plug your AUW into eCalc, you can play with the different size/cell count batteries to see how they will effect your flight times. Should get you in the ballpark.

As far as brands - many here have had great luck with the Nano-Tech from hobby king. I've also had pretty good luck with the orange series from readymadeRC.

Good luck and have fun.

genesc

Thank you Moto, I looked at the link you gave me for the orange batteries but I only see 3 and 4 cell batteries with a 35c discharge and not
the 30c as you suggested. Woud te 35c be ok to use? I am using the SunnySky 2212 980 KV Motors.

Gene

If you are using the stock DJI power system, they are rated for either 3S or 4S batteries only, and suggest a 30C rating. So you have you choices within those cell counts. Depending on weight, you could probably get 3xxx-5xxx mah size. If you don't plan on ever increasing payload - 3S weight savings might be best. If you think you may move to more payload, or on to bigger MRs later, 4S would likely be a more solid investment.

If you plug your AUW into eCalc, you can play with the different size/cell count batteries to see how they will effect your flight times. Should get you in the ballpark.

As far as brands - many here have had great luck with the Nano-Tech from hobby king. I've also had pretty good luck with the orange series from readymadeRC.

Good luck and have fun.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thank you Moto, I looked at the link you gave me for the orange batteries but I only see 3 and 4 cell batteries with a 35c discharge and not
the 30c as you suggested. Woud te 35c be ok to use? I am using the SunnySky 2212 980 KV Motors.

Gene

the 30C would only be the minimum suggested by DJI, so you are fine with any eating above that. I'm sure it would probably be ok for a slightly lower rating even, but better to play it safe. And higher ratings will allow for faster charge times if you have the charger to handle it.

Make sure you order (or already have) the proper connectors to mate with your PDB lead.

Avenger

Hi Moto,

would you recommend buying and 8000 MaH battery or two 4000 mah batteries.
Which will give you the most flight time

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Moto,

would you recommend buying and 8000 MaH battery or two 4000 mah batteries.
Which will give you the most flight time

I think there's something to say for having 2 separate batteries. Although it would be awful, if one battery were to fail, the remaining battery may get you safely to the ground (or have a better shot than no battery!). That said, it comes down to a weight comparison as well.

genesc

In Barts Group DJI F-450 build he said he was going to use two batteries and he made a wire harness but he never did or would say what two batteries he used.
I have tried several times to contact him about this and even posted the question in the Group Build thread but never have gotten and answer.

Gene

I think there's something to say for having 2 separate batteries. Although it would be awful, if one battery were to fail, the remaining battery may get you safely to the ground (or have a better shot than no battery!). That said, it comes down to a weight comparison as well.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
In Barts Group DJI F-450 build he said he was going to use two batteries and he made a wire harness but he never did or would say what two batteries he used.
I have tried several times to contact him about this and even posted the question in the Group Build thread but never have gotten and answer.

Gene

are you asking which size, or brand?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast

Thats where eCalc will come in. I would look at other 450 builds as well. There are plenty out there. ECalc will help determine the effects of the weight vs mah on your flight time.

seems man like people are getting long flight times with 3S 5000mah batteries for more mellow flying.

Last edited by a moderator:

genesc

Thanks once again Moto. I checked out that ECalc and that is fantastic stuff. Bought a subscription as well. Boy you guys are given me one heck of an education.

Thanks so much

Gene

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

Gene

gene,

you emailed me and i responded to you. you then asked more questions here at the site and when you didn't get a reply quickly enough you emailed me again. i generally don't get involved in one-on-one email exchanges because i already spend hours each day here at the site and helping people is why i started the site in the first place.

patience is a virtue.

bart

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
in the group build thread is says that the 4000 mah to 5000 mah range is good for a stock DJI F450. if you're adding lots of accessories and stuff to your heli then you'll have to settle on a smaller/lighter battery.

4000 mah, 30C, 4S if it was me buying one for myself. a light F450 can carry two 4000mah packs.

genesc

Thanks Bart, So you are saying that I can put 2, "4000 mah, 30C, 4S" on my F-450 build? My build is just basic Nasa M Lite with FreeSky 2212 980kv motors with 4 Afro esc's. No camera equimpent etc.

Thank you

Gene

genesc

Sorry for the intrusion Bart. I own a Forum as well with over 10,000 members and I spend a few hours a day answering emails and PM's on the site. I completely support all communications with my members.

Gene

genesc

Hi Moto

I checked out the ECalc this weekend. Great tool and it tells you just about everything you need to know. Koodo's to the people who made that tool.

Thanks for sharing

Gene

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Moto

I checked out the ECalc this weekend. Great tool and it tells you just about everything you need to know. Koodo's to the people who made that tool.

Thanks for sharing

Gene

It's a pretty nifty tool for sure - but remember it's only a tool, and has some tolerances. But it will definitely help get yo in the ballpark, and most importantly help you understand the relationship between all the components. Even if the suggested flight times are not 100% accurate, you will be able to see what higher mah vs higher weight produces, and that is invaluable.

Have fun!