KK Flight Controller KK2.1 with uncommanded yaw

coreyperez

I've had no problems with my KK2.1 until... I burned it in to the dirt at high speed trying to do a flip. NOW.... I've repaired the quad, I replaced the problematic motor (wouldn't spin up with a prop on it) and now it "flutters" at throttle (hovering) and it has a yaw. I tried to:

Calibrate the sensors - No luck
Replaced another motor - No luck
Swapped motors - No luck (figured it would yaw in opposite direction if rotating in other direction)
Re-calibrated the ESCs - No Luck
Installed a new KK2.1 - No luck
Ensured everything was still level and assembled properly - No luck

The only two things I haven't tried is to replace the ESCs (one by one)
Got into the mixer Settings and tried to change the yaw settings. My concern with this is yaw is adjusted on all 4 channels! Some of the settings are +100 and some -100, so I'm not even sure where to change settings on this. I can "trim" out the yaw, but when I do a climb it does a rapid yaw at the top. If it matters, it is swinging (aft right) in the yaw. I can Trim out the yaw at a hover, but it doesn't do anything for "in flight".

Do any of you KK experts know how to arrest a yaw? I've watched videos about how to stop drifts, etc, but nothing about Yaw.

Also, this problem was on going with my 9XR and Futaba as well, all trim's are center.

I'm lost. I love flying this sporty little thing, but having to constantly "correct" its yaw is labor intensive.

Corey :dejection:

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

Corey- Truly a strange situation. I am quad less:hororr: and will be so for the foreseeable future due to unanticipated aging parent issues. I will have plenty of time to do some research on your behalf. This will at least help me focus some of my RC energies.

Good luck.

coreyperez

Goodluck with the family issues. I'm going to have to record it in flight to show the exact yaw. Probably put a camera on my chest recording my stick inputs and one on the controller to view the craft so you can see the yaw.

I'm pretty much at a loss with it...

I hate throwing parts at a problem, but I just can't figure out what "changed" in the "turfing" incident.

Point of all this: Don't flip w/o the altitude!

Corey

rwilabee

Have you tried reburning the firmware on the KK controller with whatever version you are using. Then just setting everything back up again.

coreyperez

rwilabee,

I haven't, but I put in a brand-new KK2.1 (I had 3 total). I figured I messed up a yaw gyro/acc in the crash. But the new one has the exact same problem.

Corey

coreyperez

Well I figured out what I'm going to do, its all but guaranteed to resolve the problem...

x4: New Motors
x4: New ESC
x4: New Rotors
x3: New Arms
x1: New KK2.1
x1: New 4S 2200mAh Zippy

Max thrust in a rapid descent and either a motor or ESC failed = x3 motors full thrust, inverted into a railing (smashing battery, arm, rotor, FC (screen atleast) and the other arms were either at the same time or upon "landing".

I love having spares! Now I need to source ESC. HK has been out of the Afro's for awhile. I KNEW this thing was acting weird. And I am now paying for being lazy/not researching which ESC was acting up. Now I'm replacing everything vs. taking another chance. This thing is too much fun to leave alone! I'm just really hoping my Futaba RX survived. The case was split open when I got to it.

Now in the morning I get to research safely discharging a Lipo so I can dispose of my damaged battery :(

Corey

Attachments

• 20140402_180807_resized.jpg
    20140402_180807_resized.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 318
Last edited by a moderator: