naza lite issues HELP

Hey guys, Im new to this forum and multirotor copters.

I have flown many helicopters and been in r/c for long as I can remember. But this one has me going around in circles.
I have a dji phantom v2 and been flying it for 3-4 months and it has been great (love the hobby).
Then just 3 weeks ago I have purchased a F550 frame and built it from scratch.
It was a lot of fun building it and tinkering with it.
I originally put naza M as my controller and AKE 20 amp ESC's with some off brand motors (don't know the make), did all the setups like the manual said and with high hopes went out for my test flight.. Well it did not go so well, took of to about 20 feet and went back wards before it crashed.. so i went into my local hobby store (E-hobby house) and asked them what i did wrong, after leaving it with them for three days , they said it was my controller that was bad so i bought the naza lite version and rebuilt the copter.
So here we go again first flight. Had control and flew great, all the sudden one motor took a dump and flipped upside down (CRASH). BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD)
Now I bought new motors Called CENTURY 2212's ( they said these are great motors but my ESC's wont work with them) so I bought new ESC's called NEXT LEVEL 30 amp.(They said all of it is plug and play)
So I changed everything out , did all my calibrations and programmings according to the manual.
With all the time and money spent I could not wait to try this baby out but i needed to wait cause it was windy in my neck of the woods (Acton,CA)
Well it did not crash but it flew weird. So here is what happened.
The motors did NOT all start up at the same time , only 3 spooled up at the start-up and the other three at half throttle, it flew nice but kind of bouncy (up/down)
Below the half throttle when I was trying to land it, it seemed like the three motors that did not start in the beginning wanted to shut of. (DID NOT CRASH)..
So I took it in to the hobby store and had them go through it.. They said my gain's were to high and my gps (Z) value was incorrect. So they made all the adjustments.
I came home and flew it, still 3 motors did not spool up until half throttle and it was still bouncy plus it seemed like it had no altitude hold.
I don't know if I should just give up or what.
I am looking for advice in this matter, if anybody can help that would be great.

So here is the spec's;
Naza lite with gps.
Spectrum dx9 transmitter
Spectrum 8000 Receiver
Telemetry module for V and Temp of motor.
Next level 30amp ESC's
Century motors 2212A 980kv

basic parameters
pitch 150 roll 150 yaw 130 vertical 130
attitude gain 90 and 90

Running 3s lipo batt.

coreyperez

Since you are not using the DJI ESCs (or other associated equipment) there is a outlined step in the manual for calibrating the ESCs. Not saying that is the exact reason for your problems, but if your motors are not starting up at the same time, it specifically states that and what steps to take to calibrate.

I didn't have to deal with it (full up Naza kit) but I did with my KK Board (Honey Badger). If I remember orrectly, I had to remove the power wires to the motors, and one by one power it up with the throttle at full, and decrease to zero. There may have been additional steps, but it is in the Manual.

Hope that helps!

Corey

coreyperez

Ok, sorry. I hate it when people say "Read the manual". Plus, I was basing this off my -M V2 Naza. But the link below is the manual down load. Page 8, right column, (in red) it talks about calibrating the ESCs.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/naza-m lite/en/NAZA-M LITE_User_Manual_v1.00_en.pdf

Quoted below:
If you use 3rd party ESCs, please make sure the ESCs travel midpoint is at
1520us. DO NOT use 700us travel midpoint ESC, as it may lead aircraft to
fly away or cause injury and damage. After connect ESCs to motors,
calibrate all your ESCs one by one through the receiver directly before
connect them to your MC, Make sure program all of them into Governor off,
Break off and Normal Start up to get best experience

You do have the motor ports facing forward correct?

Correct output into the motors? (I only ask because I screwed up on my KK board and couldn't figure out why I was flipping)

Read page 13 (bottom) and into page 14

Page 20 (Step 1)

Does that hobby shop actually FLY muli-rotors? They may not exactly know what they are doing and just researching (hoping) for an answer.

Did they tell you why your pevious Naza was bad? Do you still have it?

Corey

Edit: According to the link below, did you make the possibly required adjustments?

NOTE: Due to the faster response rate of the SimonK firmware, you will most likely need to turn down the gains slightly in your flight controller board to prevent over-control or oscillation of your Multi-Rotor model.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...evel-30-Amp-Multi-Rotor-ESC-w-SimonK-Firmware

The short, short answer (my limited knowledge), if the motors are not starting at the same time, the ESCs are not calibrated. "Plug and Play" doesn't mean "Plug and work"... It appears for the amount of money you spent on "rouge parts" you could have just got the Naza parts which we KNOW work (and are "plug and play"). Atleast my full Naza kit was.

Corey

Last edited by a moderator:

I will change out to original dji esc's tonight.
at that time they only had those esc's, but they exchanged them today.
I will post what happens as soon as it is done.
thank you for your suggestion.

Viktor.

coreyperez

Best of luck Viktor!

Just take into consideration that if your MR has crashed a couple times your motor shafts may have gotten bent and may significantly shorten their (and associated components) life.

Corey

Thats why I put new motors.
But last night I installed the new 30amp esc's (dji) and test flew it today.
im still getting upward surges..
Anny idias why?

Viktor

coreyperez

Do all your motors start at the same time now? Is that problem resolved?

Can you post a video of the surges? Are you giving it more than one input?

Do you have weird mixes put in for the controller?

What radio are you using, can you post a video of your mixes, settings, etc?

I'll give you 75$ for the entire deal... (just kidding)

Yes this time all the motors start right up at the same time.
I was only giving it one command (just take off and hover at about 5 to 10 feet.
No mixes at tx.
Using spectrum DX9 with spectrum 8000 receiver (fail safe set like outlined in manual)
basic parameters
pitch 150 roll 150 yaw 130 vertical 130
attitude gain 90 and 90

Running 3s lipo batt.

Im starting to wonder if my tx or rx is faulty?
The surging upwards is when I aply a litle throtle past 50%.
And it is iratic.
It is wierd.
I changed everything else. I even unplugged my telemetry module to see if its that interfering but its not.

coreyperez

I know with my controller I have two mixes on two channels. I don't recall what they are (specifically), I just copied the settings another guy used on YouTube. Have you gone that route? Below are two links. The first is one I used, the next one is specifically for spektrum radios. I just did a YouTube search for "naza lite + spektrum + dx9" hopefully that helps!

Corey

Btw, I've noticed this issue more recently on the forums in the past week...

Mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIFX1RmBca8&feature=youtube_gdata_player.

Yours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGxDLBksZ2M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

coreyperez

Do you still have your old flight controller? Are you running a go pro while trying to fly it? I know go pro cameras are"dirty" and have a lot of interference issues. I personally decided against spektrum because of all the issues they have and decided it was not work taking the chance. the Turing 9xr radios are a cheap option. I wouldn't trust it for distance though.

TTcummins99

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Hi I'm new to this group and don't know if I'm in the right spot but here is my issue. I have 2 Naza M's with GPS and they fly good with the RTH. Then I was putting together my brothers Quadcopter with a Naza m lite and when I tested the RTH it freaked out flying all over the place high and low altitude, so then I flipped the switch back into manual flight mode and was locked out? It wouldn't let me make any stick inputs. the quad dipped low and burned into the ground.[/FONT]

coreyperez

From my brief introduction (this thread) I had seen the Lite was different enough from the -M V2 that you can't just apply the same method's of setup. I also realized when setting mine up (-m V2) that there are certain configurations that will not let you regain control of the MR when switched back from the failsafe, etc. You will have to review the manual and see what went wrong in the setup and the proper way to regain control.

It sucks to have one get "balled up" on the first flight.

Corey

TTcummins99

Thanks for the reply.
I spent a couple of days making sure that the programming was good with several test flights. The software says right on the fail-safe tab "mc will dissengage enhanced failed-safe mode, you can re-gain control of multi rotor". I don't know what to do I,m lost maybe I'll just call DJI Tech on Monday!

coreyperez

JUST out of curiosity...

Did you happen to have the receiver failsafe properly configured? I know, you said you flipped the failsafe switch on the transmitter, but I'm curious if somehow that played a part...

Corey