foldable X8 with 28" props or the klappfixx XXL

FerdinandK

Hello

Just got some hot stuff today, which I will try to transform into an airborne copter until this or next WE.

20140218_132344.jpg

Here the battery box, which is able to take 6x4S12500mAh GensAce (will be used as 8S3P), or 3x6S16000mAh GensAce

20140218_132153.jpg

The battery box can be mounted and unmounted by some "quick-release" system.

20140218_132233.jpg

Motors will be the Tiger U8 with 100KV
Props will be 28"
The planned payload should be up to 8kg
There also will be retracts, but they are not finished yet.

best regards
Ferdinand

jrlederer

Ferdinand,

despite a huge language barrier,I decided to take a shot in the dark and go ahead with ordering a frame from the site, but I hope I got the correct item. There were two configs available, one for 949E and one for 999E. As I couldn't readily decipher what the difference between the setups were, I just figured the one for 50 euro more probably had all options and hardware that I might want, but am really uncertain as to whether this line of reasoning was correct, as well I am uncertain as to whether what I purchased is the same as what I seeing above, as through my extremely limited ability to understand german language, I think I saw that the max prop size for what was available was 16 or18 inches, not 20+ that you describe above. Lastly, can you please recommend to me components to constitute the power system for optimal flight time such as model motors, prop sizes, and esc choices that would best suit what I just blindly plunked down a chunk of change for. I hope I made a decent choice. I'm a bit worried and could use some reassurance whether I chose correctly.

Thanks, in advance,

jonathan

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i just sent them an email asking about how to get a set of the retracts.

have a good build. :)

biele01

Hi Ferdinand, Hi Bartman, I start an account here in forum too. Hallo all.. i am Tobias..
in next time I can upload some informations and updates about my Klappfixx frame too. Actually i finished the wirering of electronical components. At the moment I miss 4x Tmotor 29".9,5 props because no posibility to ship. I have to wait, till tmotor can send something...what else.

Simspeed

Hi Ferdinand....can you tell us what the frame with battery box and landing legs as shown her weighs less motors ? What diameter are the arm and landing tubes? Thanks...TP

20140318_144432.jpg

jrlederer

Hi Ferdinand,

jonathan an here with a couple questions for you. I took your advice and have been in regular communications with Tobias, who is really a nie guy and very easy to work with -- so thanks for that advice. Unfortunately, the prototype of the XXL you received was one of very few, and as such, the best arrangement I've been able to secure is a spot at the head of the line for his first production run, which will be fine and so I am happy.

On a related note, I ended up receiving the smaller frame that you referenced me initially when I posted about what I had blindly bought, and had it 99% together until running into a small hurdle that I could use your advice on how to proceed. I had the entire frame setup so that everything was folding and unfolding very smoothly -- all EXCEPT for ESCs/electronics. As my surplus supply of parts is concerned, I happened to have (still brand new and completely unused as of yet) two pretty high end ESC boards that I'd been saving for a special build: the (controversial) Aerodrive 8 board (which should be fine for simple 4S usage as Tobias has recommended to use on the version of the frame I've currently got in hand) as well as the new Mikrokopter Bl-Ctrl v3 Duo-Quadro (two 4xBl-Ctrl v3 boards back to back) which also should be great for this particular utilization. The problem I'm having is that both boards appear to be just too large in diameter to fit in the space just above the battery box, where I assume it ought to go. The issue is exactly that when placed in that location, the frame spacers that connect the battery had to the belly of the foldable mechanics cannot get a straight shot downwards to pass through the carbon plate and terminate with a nylock m3 nut!! It's driving me crazy...we're talking a matter of millimeters. The only way I can envision it working (at least, using one of these centralized ESC/PDB combo boards) would be to mount it in or underneath the battery box -- but I imagine this placement would severely limit my battery choices. Any ideas on how or where to mount one of these boards that will work and function as intended? I'm very tempted to carefully try my luck at modifying the ESC combo boards with a steady hand and a dremel bit, but at the astronomical cost of both of those solutions mentioned above, I am hesitant to do so without consulting you beforehand.

My my only other option (currently, that is -- you know, without another order from a shop -- just using spare parts I have lying around)is to use Castle ICE Lite 75's (set of 8) which I have removed from their oversized heat sink in exchange for thin wrap of heat shrink to hod the components together. The only hesitation I have going that route is that it seems like there's very little possibility to mount them in the spacing between the coaxial motor mount plates (on either side of the carbon tube arms directly under the motors) in a visually pleasing manner, though they DO fit (although very tightly) into said location if I absolutely had to go that route. If you can't tell, I'm obviously leaning towards utilizing one of the outrageously overpriced solutions (all-in-one ESC/PDB boards) I've stockpiled in my spares bin over the past year or so, but ultimately will follow your advice because you have the experience firsthand with what works. The inky other concern with mounting the ESCs under each motor is that it distributes the weight out to the ends of the arms instead of centralized as I'm accustomed to building my copters(at least historically speaking...though I'm open to change if you say the word).

In summary...will what I have work it do I need to go shopping for new components specific for this build? Either way is cool, just need to figure something out so I can get some good footage for Tobias' website promoting the awesome frame design he's come up with.

Thanks is very much, in advance, for taking the time not only to read this extremely long post, but for any and all advice you might have for me.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Lederer

FerdinandK

@jrlederer
If the boards do not fit, they do not fit, that is a binary decision. If you can dremel or not I have no idea, you will have to ask the board manufacturer, but placing the boards inside the battery tray is "suboptimal".

Placing the ESCs in between the motors is also ok, 75A is quite a number, but you will know if you need that. In any case I would test one motor with propeller on a testing bench to see if it works with the ESCs of your choice.

@Vortex
14,6kg as written in the video description

best regards
Ferdinand

Vortex

@jrlederer
If the boards do not fit, they do not fit, that is a binary decision. If you can dremel or not I have no idea, you will have to ask the board manufacturer, but placing the boards inside the battery tray is "suboptimal".

Placing the ESCs in between the motors is also ok, 75A is quite a number, but you will know if you need that. In any case I would test one motor with propeller on a testing bench to see if it works with the ESCs of your choice.

@Vortex
14,6kg as written in the video description

best regards
Ferdinand

Simspeed

Hi Jonathan,

I ran into a very similar problem on a folding frame design exercise I'm working on. I found a location solution for single component ESCs by placing them in a plastic housing located near the base of the folding arm next to the hinge point. As you can see in the following drawings the location is very tight...especially in the arms up position, but it will work for my example. When designing almost anything, the designer must have knowledge of component dimensions that will be utilized in the final physical product in order to ensure proper fit and alignment. In your case where you are desiring to use one piece ESC boards that have broad dimensions, the likelihood that those components will fit inside a frame that did not incorporate such items in the design process is practically nil. I'd contact the designer/builder to see if he considered such components in his design. Perhaps he did and can advise you which ones he chose to work with. Good luck....TP

View attachment 17609View attachment 17610View attachment 17611

Attachments

• FF.80.jpg
    FF.80.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 375
  • FF.81.jpg
    FF.81.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 399
  • FF.82.jpg
    FF.82.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 337
Last edited by a moderator: