Skyzone/Boscam 500mw 5.8ghz video tx, any good?

cootertwo

Hi Bart. I was about to make a new thread, but just saw your question. OK, here it is, my opinion, based on owning both the Skyzone goggles, and the Fatshark Attitude SD ver2.
First of all, I'm a total newbee to this FPV stuff. I did all kinds of reading, viewing videos on the tube, etc. etc. I compared the specs, prices, between all the Fatsharks and the Skyzones, with the Skyzones having an apparent larger viewing area, and the front mounted camera, I ordered them. It wasn't until after my order had shipped, that I realized that the Skyzones DO NOT come with a camera, transmitter, or battery. OK, ordered an Immersion 600mw TX, and a Fatshark goggle battery, and 2 of the Fatshark spironet antennas. While waiting on my TX stuff to arrive, I connected the Skyzones to my DVD player. Hummm, dissapointment. They work, but the color is washed out, sorta like the gamma is too low. No way would I want to try to watch a movie with them on. After my Immersion TX arrived, I set the whole mess up, on my Phantom, ver 1.1.1. I used the hidden power supply lead from the Phantom, to supply the voltage for the TX, and my GoPro 3 black, as the camera for the FPV setup. Well, it works, but I was a little dissapointed in my now over $500 investment into FPV. Yes, I tried different channels, brightness/contrast adjustments, 2 different 600TVL cameras, etc. etc. THEN, after reading about some conflict between the Skyzone (Boscam?) and Immersion TX's, I contacted the company I bought the Skyzones from, and they agreed that there was a problem, and that I should use the Boscam TX. Sooooo, I ordered one of those, in 600mw. It was worse! Horizontal lines, much less range. At this point, I was totally pissed. Soooo, I ordered a Fatshark Attitude SD ver2 "kit". I say "kit" because it comes with everything, except battery for the goggles. What a difference! Even with the included 250mw TX, vibrant colors, better range, less interference, and I might add, the Attitudes are much more comfortable than the Skyzones. I also tried the Fatsharks with the Boscam TX, same horizontal lines, crappy picture. Also found that the 600 TVL cameras work better with the Fatsharks, than the GoPro does! So, all in all, from a newbees perspective, there you have it. Wanna buy a pair of Skyzones for $400 ?????

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Thanks for the info CooterTwo! So you're saying that with the better goggles, the 250mw Fatshark video Tx gave you a better picture than the Skyzone/Boscam and the ImmersionRC?

I ended up ordering an IRC (i'm fed up with IRC due to the issues I had with the EZUHF which wasn't EZ at all!) but I can sell it when it gets here and try the Fatshark one.....I can't buy an Iftron Mondo Stinger every time I need to throw a Video Tx on a new heli even though I'd like to!

Thanks,
Bart

cootertwo

Hi Bart. I just got trying my new setup. Took one of the 600 TVL cameras, (one with no bracket), took the 2 little screws out, and replaced with 2 long threaded machine screws. Drilled 2 holes through the battery door of my Phanton, and mounted the camera on the battery door. Had to put a piece of fuel tubing under the top, to tilt it down a bit. Flew a battery pack around in my back yard. Very happy. Even flew out over, and behind my barn, never lost signal. I also have an IBcrazy helical antenna, I'll try on the goggles when I try it in the wide open. The score is: Fat Shark Attitudes +1 Skyzones -1

View attachment 16277

Attachments

• phancam.jpg
    phancam.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 258