5.8GHz 25mw Regulations

Akermay

Hi

Until recently we had been using the DJI 5.8GHz video downlink. It works great, however we recently discovered that UK regulations don't allow use of this. It amazes me that so many providers are either oblivious to these regulations or sell the equipment inside the UK regardless.

Anyway, because of the 25mw limit on 5.8GHz devices which are airborne, and they have to run between certain channels on the spectrum, how do you approach this?

Are there specific antennae, transmitters and receivers you recommend which are practical, high quality and legal for use that you can recommend?

Could we just get a new lower power TX for use with the existing DJI clover leaves and RX?

Perhaps I am over complicating it in my head, but it seems fairly complicated, the restrictions. Can anyone boil down the details of what exactly is required of UK fliers?

Hope you can shed some light, thanks.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Using a patch antenna on your receiver greatly improves your range, along with a 3 leaf skew plantar antenna on your transmitter.

I still see many people using higher than 25mW transmitters on their rigs and as far as I know no one has been in trouble for it.

I use 25mW and find it more than adequate for the job.